Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
italyprof
All Star Reserve

draft strategies?

draft strategies?
One of the things that continues to be annoying is that the AI can't draft for other teams without making a mess - many teams end up without a real SP, just a bunch of soon-to-retirees or MRs that had a couple of starts one season for example.

But the biggest problem is trying to avoid having an All-Star team for my own team because into the 10th, 15th sometimes even the 20th round, the Willie Mays, Mickey Mantles, Harmon Killebrews, Sandy Koufaxes are still available to draft in an inaugural fantasy or rookie draft.

So I force myself to draft mediocre players just to keep the league competitive and to have the enjoyment of building a team slowly to being contenders.

Does anyone have any particular ways in which they deal with the problem of inaugural or even rookie drafts so that the AI does not warp competitiveness by refusing to draft good players for the other teams?

Or, are there settings that I have misunderstood about ratings that might help tell the AI how to draft more efficiently?

Thanks.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
mainstreet
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
draft strategies?
One of the things that continues to be annoying is that the AI can't draft for other teams without making a mess - many teams end up without a real SP, just a bunch of soon-to-retirees or MRs that had a couple of starts one season for example.

But the biggest problem is trying to avoid having an All-Star team for my own team because into the 10th, 15th sometimes even the 20th round, the Willie Mays, Mickey Mantles, Harmon Killebrews, Sandy Koufaxes are still available to draft in an inaugural fantasy or rookie draft.

So I force myself to draft mediocre players just to keep the league competitive and to have the enjoyment of building a team slowly to being contenders.

Does anyone have any particular ways in which they deal with the problem of inaugural or even rookie drafts so that the AI does not warp competitiveness by refusing to draft good players for the other teams?

Or, are there settings that I have misunderstood about ratings that might help tell the AI how to draft more efficiently?

Thanks.
I generally don't participate in fantasy drafts, and pick a team after the AI has drafted for all the teams (if I don't just stay in commissioner mode). That way I can't take advantage of it. At least for the initial draft.

...and even in future drafts, I let the assistant GM do it, same notation.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Maybe someone else has a better idea.
mainstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

You can click the "Use Pre-defined Draft Value for AI" on the Game Settings / Rules screen. It makes the AI realize who Harmon Killebrew is just like you do. It is why that choice exists. It helps to build a more smarterer AI.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:52 AM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
You can click the "Use Pre-defined Draft Value for AI" on the Game Settings / Rules screen. It makes the AI realize who Harmon Killebrew is just like you do. It is why that choice exists. It helps to build a more smarterer AI.
Does this work with fictional players?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:08 AM   #5
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

No, Because with fictional you don't have an advantage over the AI, neither of you know which players are most likely to develop.

Last edited by Spritze; 04-22-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Spritze and Mainstream I am very grateful. Spritze I never did know what that setting meant - it is one of the many settings that is never really explained. Cool.

Mainstream, you have a point, so while it is not the answer I expected, I am glad for the unexpected one.

I am going to set up two leagues, one each with each of your suggestions and see what they look like after a few seasons.

Many thanks.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
Okay
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
No, Because with fictional you don't have an advantage over the AI, neither of you know which players are most likely to develop.
So is this setting found only in historical leagues?

It's amazing I've never seen this setting before, because my friends and I do a lot of historical play.
Okay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:04 AM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okay View Post
So is this setting found only in historical leagues?
Yes