Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
Geredis
Bat Boy

Few Questions Regarding Stats, Skills Points, and Offense vs Defense as the Core of Building a Team

I must admit, coming into yet another year of OOTP, I'm not much of a baseball player. I don't follow it much, but I can say that I really enjoy teh simulation aspect of the series, and even if I generally suck (I'm THRILLED if I can get over .500 for a win/loss record at season's end) but am really looking to up my understanding of the game and simulation and generally really jump into the game.

As it stands, being not much of a baseball guy, but more a numbers guy (at least when it comes to understanding them...I suck at calculating...but that's another discussion for another day), I've been simming full games while spending hours between games trying to fine-tune things.

To help understand things, I've been reading up a lot when possible on the GM side of things and otherwise getting more familiar with the game while playing as GM/Manager. But that too is neither here nor there as well as I get comfortable to it.

In playing, especially during the drafts, I've been trying to get a finger on a few things.

Is it better to focus on skill or history when deciding on prospective new players, in any situation? This is as a general rule, and especially for someone not particularly well-read into the meaning behind baseball stats, is there a quantifiable difference to reading the skills over the stats, or vice versa?

Additionally, what about cases, such as an 1871 Fantasy Draft, or a League where there is no imported history...do I read into the stats. Do I focus on Position Scores, or elsewhere, since I assume that Position scores are essentially the distilled and weighted averages of all the various skills that 'make up' that position, meaning they are a great 'at-a-glance' way to pick players...?

Also, while generally I understand the Offense/Defense Cycle of baseball, where one side or the other has an almost innate advantage simply through the mindset of the games or the nuances of the rules...and where thus there is a natural skewing of ability to one side or the other for the players based on the game, does it pay to be more disruptive in my skill selections (say in the heyday of a Defense cycle to lean heavily on Offense to throw them off guard) or does it pay off if you play to the trend in your player selections?

Lastly, kind of building off of Offense/Defense Cycle thing somewhat, aside from the cyclical nature, is one side or the other statistically better off in the long run?

By that I mean, is it better to play with a low-scoring, hyper-defensive team which also may only score a handful of runs, but may also totally lock down the other side. Alternatively, it seems that the other option might be a more...permissive, for lack of a better word...style where, sure, you may get into a high scoring game of 10+ a side, but your team is just more effective at putting runs across home plate.

Of course I don't mean to suggest that in this final question, that it is truly an either-or situation...there are teams I'm sure that are able to not only lock down the opponent to just a couple runs, if that, while still racking in a score of runs of their own...but they're of course more an exception than a rule unless things are totally mismatched.

Last edited by Geredis; 03-25-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Geredis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
I wouldn't worry about strategic bends and defensive points or philosophical questions.....I'd find the best player I could at a position and hold on to him until I find a better one.....

I play with ratings off (except for the 'other' ratings), so I always go with stats, but if you are a newcomer to baseball, relying on the ratings and especially the overall rating, would probably be easier.

Hire an ace scout and trust him until you get your sea legs under you.....then you'll probably be able to spot when he has been huffing aerosol paints.....

Personally, I think, theoretically a good team strong in offense is better than a equal team stronger in defense (no, it is NOT a contradictory statement...) But I cannot stand poor fielders on my team, so I always end up with teams a bit weak in offense.

If you are only the GM, then a player's style is of less consequence to your enjoyment of the game and you should just go for the best players you can.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Number4
Major Leagues

Important: The position scores are not, I repeat, not! the sum of the players quality.
In many football simulators it is this way, where for example right midfield 80/100 is a overall class player. In OOTP, right field 80/100 means he is a good defender there, but his offense doesn't factor in. At all. For some players (Pitchers and first basemen) it is almost irrelevant.

If you're looking for an overall rating: Those are the "stars".
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Geredis
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
Important: The position scores are not, I repeat, not! the sum of the players quality.
In many football simulators it is this way, where for example right midfield 80/100 is a overall class player. In OOTP, right field 80/100 means he is a good defender there, but his offense doesn't factor in. At all. For some players (Pitchers and first basemen) it is almost irrelevant.

If you're looking for an overall rating: Those are the "stars".
I know about the stars, but I find them a little vague and some of the listings seem arbitrary almost - at least that's been my gut feeling with them.

Now as for choosing based on position ratings...that's interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose it makes sense.

In that vein of thinking, are you saying that it'd be better to pick players based on their scoring ability and simply 'train' them into the appropriate field positions you need, provided they have at least a moderate aptitude for that spot?

In a somewhat tangential, if related, note: I've noticed looking through my Achievements history that I seem to be getting a lot of individual awards and accolades stemming from it, even though my team as I mentioned is pretty bad when taken on the whole. By this I mean I get two or three golden gloves for various positions, and have on a few instances gotten Rookie of the Year...despite, as I said, having such an abysmal record that breaking even, never mind playoffs, are simply out of the question for me. In such a case, is this more indicative of the team itself being good...and it being a strategy/simmng problem since I do the entire game or sim by whole innings...or is it simply a matter of having those two or three shiny points in a string of weak chains and otherwise terrible players?

Last edited by Geredis; 03-26-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Geredis is offline   Reply With Quote