Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Pat Venditte

Markus, please tell me you and the devs are keeping an eye on this.

I'll give you a pass for this year's game, but come OOTP 17 I want my switch-pitcher. Top priority, guys.
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Ugh geez. The game hasn't even gotten two-way players right. Let's not get carried away. You want a switch pitcher, get creative and switch 'em yourself.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Number4
Major Leagues

Just give him maximum stamina and add a screwball to his pitches, while giving him a slight platoon advantage against his "weak" side, opposite whichever arm he throws in the game. That should simulate him at least decently.
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I'm just glad OOTP 16 is removing support for the Age of Aquarius.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
BrandonS
Minors (Double A)

This guy was the one the yankees drafted right? They made a rule for him that he has to designate which arm he is using to throw with before every at bat and remain that way throughout the at bat, which kind of ruins the whole switch pitcher thing in my opinion.

Here is the rule quote:

Quote:
The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to which arm he will throw with. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.
BrandonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I doubt they are going to spend much time on a 29 year old "prospect". It would be cool to see though

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Ugh geez. The game hasn't even gotten two-way players right. Let's not get carried away. You want a switch pitcher, get creative and switch 'em yourself.
Dude, it was a joke.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonS View Post
This guy was the one the yankees drafted right? They made a rule for him that he has to designate which arm he is using to throw with before every at bat and remain that way throughout the at bat, which kind of ruins the whole switch pitcher thing in my opinion.

Here is the rule quote:
Oh, not at all. It ruins him for switch-hitters, but he can still switch between batters. It even takes away the offense's ability to pinch-hit the "correct" guy.

And actually, it seems to me his chief advantage is the -- theoretical -- ability to eat innings. I mean, it seems to me that he should be able to throw a much higher-than-normal number of pitches, which would be very valuable in this era of seven-man bullpens. In fact, what I wonder is whether he might not be optimally used not as one switch-pitcher, but as essentially two different guys.

Monday, RHP Pat throws an inning.
Tuesday, LHP comes in to retire two lefties.
Wednesday, another RHP inning
Thursday, not used.
Friday, a LHP inning.
Saturday, a RHP inning.
Sunday, not used.

Neither arm is getting overworked -- that projects out to something like 70 IP on the season RH and 50 LH -- and he's taking essentially two roles in your bullpen, meaning you've created a roster spot which you can use productively (e.g. platoon another hitter, etc.). Even if he's not even very good ... how good are most team's #6 and #7 men in the bullpen? I'll take the free roster spot and a 4.75 ERA over two guys throwing 4.25.

Of course, you could use him both ways in a high-leverage spot, but presumably he'd have to warm up both arms, and it could be a bit of a strain on your bullpen depth. It really does make for some interesting strategic options.

I want it Markus!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Switch pitchers can't take two bullpen roles, their arms might not get tired but their legs do.
bwburke94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #10
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Switch pitchers can't take two bullpen roles, their arms might not get tired but their legs do.
Eh, I wonder. It's no more of workload than some of the heaviest-used relievers. I've never heard it said that a pitcher had "tired legs"

With luck we'll find out.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:53 AM   #11
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipard View Post
Eh, I wonder. It's no more of workload than some of the heaviest-used relievers. I've never heard it said that a pitcher had "tired legs"

With luck we'll find out.
I've seen him pitch in Trenton (AA). Interesting but I'm not sure he is going to be good enough to pitch at the MLB level. Don't think he is good enough from each side to hold his own from either side alone. The value is being able to switch during a game.

As far as being able to fill 2 roles.....arm fatigue is the issue along with legs and the rest of his upper body. Pitchers don't only use their pitching arm when the pitch.

Last edited by byzeil; 03-04-2015 at 12:58 AM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
As far as being able to fill 2 roles.....arm fatigue is the issue along with legs and the rest of his upper body. Pitchers don't only use their pitching arm when the pitch.
Maybe so, but even if we assume he can only go the usual 50-70 innings per year, he still creates a lot of flexibility, in that he can essentially can be his own LOOGY.

Most managers have a minimum number of RHP/LHP they want in their bullpen, and that's gonna drive decisions. If your bullpen is 5 RHP/2 LHP, and one of those LHP gets hurt and is gonna be out for a month in the middle of a pennant race, now you gotta go find a LHP, and maybe you don't have one in AAA and now you're making a trade just to get a LOOGY. If its 4 RHP/2 LHP/1 SHP in your pen and a lefty goes down, you don't necessarily need to make that trade.

Also, I note that in the minors he averages about 1.5 innings per relief outing, more than most guys nowadays. So maybe the two arms don't enable him to pitch any more often than most relievers, but do enable him to pitch longer.

Obviously it's all moot if the guy can't be effective at the ML level. But it sure is interesting to consider.

Last edited by frangipard; 03-04-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

In case you're wondering how he's listed on Oakland's lineup card... here it is.
bwburke94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #14
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
In case you're wondering how he's listed on Oakland's lineup card... here it is.
That's hilarious.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
That's hilarious.
Fence sitting is good in baseball.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's hilarious.
It's a piece of history. He got two guys out, one righty, one lefty.

Venditte begins spring by recording an out with each arm | MLB.com
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #17
swoboda
All Star Starter

Smile

Quote:
That's hilarious.
Love that lineup card. If he has a baseball card it should be a back to back split image

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #18
BrandonS
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipard View Post
Oh, not at all. It ruins him for switch-hitters, but he can still switch between batters. It even takes away the offense's ability to pinch-hit the "correct" guy.

And actually, it seems to me his chief advantage is the -- theoretical -- ability to eat innings. I mean, it seems to me that he should be able to throw a much higher-than-normal number of pitches, which would be very valuable in this era of seven-man bullpens. In fact, what I wonder is whether he might not be optimally used not as one switch-pitcher, but as essentially two different guys.

Monday, RHP Pat throws an inning.
Tuesday, LHP comes in to retire two lefties.
Wednesday, another RHP inning
Thursday, not used.
Friday, a LHP inning.
Saturday, a RHP inning.
Sunday, not used.

Neither arm is getting overworked -- that projects out to something like 70 IP on the season RH and 50 LH -- and he's taking essentially two roles in your bullpen, meaning you've created a roster spot which you can use productively (e.g. platoon another hitter, etc.). Even if he's not even very good ... how good are most team's #6 and #7 men in the bullpen? I'll take the free roster spot and a 4.75 ERA over two guys throwing 4.25.

Of course, you could use him both ways in a high-leverage spot, but presumably he'd have to warm up both arms, and it could be a bit of a strain on your bullpen depth. It really does make for some interesting strategic options.

I want it Markus!
In theory it sounds good but you have to consider his back, his legs, maybe even his neck. Throwing a baseball is not all arm.
BrandonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonS View Post
In theory it sounds good but you have to consider his back, his legs, maybe even his neck. Throwing a baseball is not all arm.
Besides which, what if HE gets injured? Then you've lost a right AND a lefty. So much for that saved roster spot.
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #20
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeystyxx View Post
Besides which, what if HE gets injured? Then you've lost a right AND a lefty. So much for that saved roster spot.
No, then you're just back to status quo. It's not like you can't promote/demote multiple players.