Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

Drafting is hard!

I know there r already many draft threads, but i just got to my first draft and noticed the big lack of in-game information.
This could be another noob rant, and I know the draft is a big crap shoot. But even in real life GMs have a "war room" with the head scout and all the other scouts making suggestions and discussions.
And without a feeder league, stats r useless.
At least give me a mock draft/Big Board.
A big board of top 50 prospects from my head scout shouldn't be much to ask for.
Or maybe a fake baseball prospectus/kieth law type fake draft list?
Going in blind as a virgin was tough.
I ended up just drafting signable high potential, high work ethic+intelligence kids.
Thank you for anyone who read this rant^^
Old 07-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Look on the bright side, you're probably doing just as well in the draft as Dayton Moore ever does and they actually pay him a salary.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Look on the bright side, you're probably doing just as well in the draft as Dayton Moore ever does and they actually pay him a salary.
Lol. Very good point
Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Wu, the way I get around that situation is to set up feeder leagues, both high school and college, when I first set up my league and then quick sim the league for 5 years. That way when I take over, all the players at every level and in the drafts all have stats.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Drafting is hard!

Yea feeder leagues would be your solution (and you can see the top players list in the league once you set it up)

I personally don't deal with custom feeder leagues but I do wish in the future that OOTP will include official college leagues similar to what BTS is doing.

Also on draft day or when the pool is revealed, I actually take the time out to shortlist and make in-game notes on the players I am interested in. I use their ratings to come up with MY OVR (since I hide the game's OVR) based on the 5 tools system. This may be tedious to do for some but its part of the fun for 😊

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 07-10-2014 at 07:47 AM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

Yeah, feeder leagues might do the trick.
I'm assuming it's not possible to add a feeder league with an already started game?

I also love the "work" that goes into playing ootp and especially the draft, but I WOULD appreciate a lil ingame help/advice/direction.
Again, give me at least my own GM office's Big Board.
I'm assuming fellow noobs like me would as well.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

It's certainly on my list of things that could do with more information. At least a simple "projected round" could help provide another level of sorting.

Then I always hate when I ask for my scout recommendation, and he gives me a 1* potential pitcher with scouting comments "if he improves, he might make a good batting practise pitcher". You think he would pick someone he actually liked.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

I would love to play a stat only game on my next try, but I'd want more indepth scouting reports.
As you know, especially in drafting, stats don't mean much, other than simple measurables like foot speed, ball velocity etc.
It's 90% about the tools. Does he have a good clean delivery, how consistent is his fast ball, how clean is his swing, how is his bat speed, how's his pitch selection, how's his work ethic, mental health, what's his ceiling & floor etc.
Without that sorta info, i guess I'd need ratings for my draft.
Guess I'm sorta anal like that LoL.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I agree wholeheartedly that there should be more information available on draft prospects. But you do have a "draft big board," as you put it. Simply sort the draft list by overall potential and that gives you what is essentially your scout's draft board. Whether or not using that list is the best way to approach the draft is an entirely different thing.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuttang View Post
I know there r already many draft threads, but i just got to my first draft and noticed the big lack of in-game information.
This could be another noob rant, and I know the draft is a big crap shoot. But even in real life GMs have a "war room" with the head scout and all the other scouts making suggestions and discussions.
And without a feeder league, stats r useless.
At least give me a mock draft/Big Board.
A big board of top 50 prospects from my head scout shouldn't be much to ask for.
Or maybe a fake baseball prospectus/kieth law type fake draft list?
Going in blind as a virgin was tough.
I ended up just drafting signable high potential, high work ethic+intelligence kids.
Thank you for anyone who read this rant^^

It is not a noob rant. You are absolutely correct in your assessment.

Some people insist on suggesting that the game should have to be modified or played by house rules to make the draft more interesting, but you are correct that it should work properly and be entertaining right out of the box with the default settings.

You're welcome.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuttang View Post
Yeah, feeder leagues might do the trick.
I'm assuming it's not possible to add a feeder league with an already started game?

I also love the "work" that goes into playing ootp and especially the draft, but I WOULD appreciate a lil ingame help/advice/direction.
Again, give me at least my own GM office's Big Board.
I'm assuming fellow noobs like me would as well.
You can add feeders to an already existing league. When the pre-season starts, go to league setup, "Available League Actions" (top right), "Add Minor/Feeder League."

Set up your schedule the way you want and any other fine tuning of your preference and you're good to go.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I agree wholeheartedly that there should be more information available on draft prospects. But you do have a "draft big board," as you put it. Simply sort the draft list by overall potential and that gives you what is essentially your scout's draft board. Whether or not using that list is the best way to approach the draft is an entirely different thing.
yeah, I guess that "big board" will have to do for now.
I learned to use the customized view and customized filter as much as possible. It does help a lot.
plus take many many separate notes.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Scouting (including written reports) is IMO the weakest area of the game. I play FM as much as OOTP Baseball and I some times feel underwhelmed with the scouting in this game. I wish scouts were more involved (and detailed) and in the OP's case, it would be helpful for your Head Scout to create a shortlist of his own ala the scouts FM 14.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Scouting (including written reports) is IMO the weakest area of the game. I play FM as much as OOTP Baseball and I some times feel underwhelmed with the scouting in this game. I wish scouts were more involved (and detailed) and in the OP's case, it would be helpful for your Head Scout to create a shortlist of his own ala the scouts FM 14.
Can I suggest that you put this in the OOTP 16 suggestions thread?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
thriller13
Minors (Single A)

I wouldn't say its hard. Just boring, tedious, and most importantly NOT FUN.

I end up with 18 rounds (20 round draft) of 1/2 star potential guy from which to pick. I gave up and just let the computer pick for me.

Maybe in 16 Markus could make the draft 3D
thriller13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller13 View Post

I end up with 18 rounds (20 round draft) of 1/2 star potential guy from which to pick. I gave up and just let the computer pick for me.

I hate the draft in 15 with a passion. After the first round or two, you might as well autodraft. The change in models took a lot of the fun out of the game.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Once you get past the first 3-4 rounds, change your relative ratings to Triple-A, then after 3-4 more rounds, change them to Double-A, and so on and so forth. While you won't suddenly see big-time MLB prospects, you will be able to differentiate between the remaining players. At least for me, that makes it feel like if I find a guy with high minor league potential and good work ethic, maybe there's a chance he'll exceed those expectations and make it to the big leagues.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Drafting is hard!

Quote:

Most would say (as this was a popular rant in OOTP 13 hence the change) that seeing their 80 pot prospect drafted in the 3rd round fizzled out to a 20 Pot prospect by Spring Training was not fun and also very frustrating.

But thats a whole different discussion.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #19
thriller13
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Once you get past the first 3-4 rounds, change your relative ratings to Triple-A, then after 3-4 more rounds, change them to Double-A, and so on and so forth. While you won't suddenly see big-time MLB prospects, you will be able to differentiate between the remaining players. At least for me, that makes it feel like if I find a guy with high minor league potential and good work ethic, maybe there's a chance he'll exceed those expectations and make it to the big leagues.
Good idea, I'll give this a try.
thriller13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
great idea. i've been using this method for a while now. really helps if you want to nitpick when looking at that 60 vs 65 guy ^^