Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
bosunmate
All Star Starter

Retiring numbers

If you have a player retiring who did very well and you want to retire the number, how do you go about it? Thanks in advance for you response as always...Rick
bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosunmate View Post
If you have a player retiring who did very well and you want to retire the number, how do you go about it? Thanks in advance for you response as always...Rick
Team menu, Team Info, Retired Numbers. Look for a drop-down menu on the right labeled RETIRE UNIFORM NUMBER. Retire the number that you want, then enter a description of the player. See below, where I just retired number 21 of the Baltimore "Apocalypse" franchise.

Feature enhancement recommendation: There should most certainly be a way to link the player name included in the description to the player's profile.
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
apgn16
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Feature enhancement recommendation: There should most certainly be a way to link the player name included in the description to the player's profile.
There actually is already, if you format it like this:

Code:
<Steve Carlton:player#1775>
Where the number is the player's four digit player ID found on the editor screen of their profile.
apgn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgn16 View Post
There actually is already, if you format it like this:

Code:
<Steve Carlton:player#1775>
Where the number is the player's four digit player ID found on the editor screen of their profile.
Holy Smokes, guy! You're absolutely right. It's the same convention used in player history files. I just retired Al Bumbry's #10 and linked the retired number entry to his player profile.

Thanks. That's one of the reasons why I participate here and try to help out. I learn a lot myself that way!
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Old 06-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Bru you want every retired players bio for all of us on OOTP. Would have liked to read the full bio on Jackie Robinson. ap16 thanx for that.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This is pretty cool - Brad included the post above in the latest newsletter:
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 06-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

That's awesome. I retired my first jersey last week and had the same thought. So glad I can link to the guy's profile.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
TNCubsFan
Major Leagues

What would be even better is having retired numbers stay retired.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCubsFan View Post
What would be even better is having retired numbers stay retired.
How so? Are you saying they get re-used by the game even though they are "retired"? [Hmmm, come to think of it, I may have read this criticism someplace else. My league is only 7 "years" old so I don't know from experience yet.]

- Bru

Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #10
TNCubsFan
Major Leagues

Quote:
How so? Are you saying they get re-used by the game even though they are "retired"? [Hmmm, come to think of it, I may have read this criticism someplace else. My league is only 7 "years" old so I don't know from experience yet.]
Yes. As KC I can assign #5 and 42 at will. As CHC I can assign #10,14,31, 42 anytime I like.

As an off topic statement: This is just one of several nagging little things that make me go meh this edition. Marcus has raised my expectations to the point that things like this shouldnt happen IMO. With that said, I am still playing the game daily. Just not enjoying it as much.

Last edited by TNCubsFan; 06-23-2014 at 03:45 AM.
TNCubsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yes it happens all of the time. The jersey number situation in OOTP is beyond frustrating. I know Markus doesn't care (he made it clear in a past comment on one of my posts) but there are plenty of paying customers who are annoyed by the current method of how the computer assigns jersey numbers.

The worst part is in the last version of the game there was an awesome drop down box on the player page that EASILY allowed the user to reassign a number to a player. And the drop down box only included available numbers so you would not duplicate numbers. Now the box is gone and you can only change it in the editor which is time consuming and does not prevent you from using the same number twice, etc. Plus some of us don't want to go into the Editor and see "true" player ratings, we just want to play and enjoy the experience of the game.

Why the old drop down box can not come back is beyond me. Would be a small thing that would be a long way to making people happy. But I guess the great minds in the ivory tower know better than the little people playing the game.
Cowboys3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys3356 View Post
Y
The worst part is in the last version of the game there was an awesome drop down box on the player page that EASILY allowed the user to reassign a number to a player.
Agreed. I know a lot of people love this, myself included. I don't get why it was removed for something much less convenient.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

And I agree that, once retired, a number should not be available to be reassigned. I can't imagine that being too difficult to program.

Heh, I sometimes rationalize shortcomings here in the spirit of bestowing breaks to developers (whether they are appreciated or not), so the precedent of the Yankees #8 being retired for both Dickey and Berra came to mind. Same thing in Chicago where the Cubs have retired #31 for Maddux and Jenkins.

But stop, Bru! The situations were, the numbers had not been retired previously and then they were retired in order to honor both players at once. Plus, the players were great all around.

No breaks to be bestowed this time, OOTPD. How about fixing this?

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 06-24-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
Cole416
Minors (Single A)

Dang thanks man. This is a feature I didn't even know existed on OOTP and seems pretty cool that they added it.
Cole416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #15
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys3356 View Post
Yes it happens all of the time. The jersey number situation in OOTP is beyond frustrating. I know Markus doesn't care (he made it clear in a past comment on one of my posts) but there are plenty of paying customers who are annoyed by the current method of how the computer assigns jersey numbers.

The worst part is in the last version of the game there was an awesome drop down box on the player page that EASILY allowed the user to reassign a number to a player. And the drop down box only included available numbers so you would not duplicate numbers. Now the box is gone and you can only change it in the editor which is time consuming and does not prevent you from using the same number twice, etc. Plus some of us don't want to go into the Editor and see "true" player ratings, we just want to play and enjoy the experience of the game.

Why the old drop down box can not come back is beyond me. Would be a small thing that would be a long way to making people happy. But I guess the great minds in the ivory tower know better than the little people playing the game.
Uniform numbers are completely cosmetic in this game, but I agree, they are important to many of us. I love OOTP15, but this was a step backwards.

I play in online leagues and before OOTP15 I would routinely go through my major and minor league system and change uniform numbers that weren't "right." That almost always involved changing single-digit pitcher numbers to two digits. If playing historical, you might use more single-digit numbers for position players, or even use the old Cubs and (I believe) Astros system of catchers 1-9, infielders 10-19, outfielders 20-29 and pitchers 30-49. You wouldn't normally see a second baseman in 1952 with number 85 unless it was in spring training.

Yes, it's that important to immersion to me.

Further, before OOTP15 I was able to change my online team uni numbers, but now changing them in the player editor doesn't "stick" in my online leagues. I guess editing is turned off in online mode, so I'm stuck with pitchers with single-digit numbers.

No, not a deal-breaker, but still annoying.
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #16
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I just retired my first player number. Great feature but two requests:
  • To repeat, retiring a number should make it unavailable to anyone else on the team, and
  • The ability to edit the descriptive entry would be nice. As it is, it's "once and done." If there's anything to add or correct, the number must be unretired and re-retired with the entire text ready for input.

- Bru

Old 07-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #17
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

I was so happy when I discovered this feature.

It's always the smallest things that get me excited with new versions of OOTP. I also loved the expansion of the player pages to include career salaries, game achievements, and where each player was acquired. Don't even get me started on FaceGen. I'm in love with OOTP 15 and it really shows you the direction this system is going.

Very few sports sims will consistently release vastly improved new versions every year. Many of the more popular sims out there haven't been updated for some time and the updates they do implement aren't really substantially better.

I realize I'm getting wayyyyyyyy off topic here,but wanted to share my excitement about the new game. I always tell myself, OOTP couldn't possibly be anymore enjoyable, and then the Development Team proves me wrong.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just retired my first player number. Great feature but two requests:
  • To repeat, retiring a number should make it unavailable to anyone else on the team, and
  • The ability to edit the descriptive entry would be nice. As it is, it's "once and done." If there's anything to add or correct, the number must be unretired and re-retired with the entire text ready for input.
One other problem. Unless it's a problem with my laptop, one cannot copy text into this box, either by CTRL-V or even by right-clicking and using the context menu option to Paste. Nothing happens. Anyone else notice this?

EDIT: Wow, this is weird. I am able to copy and paste from this board (in Firefox) to the retired number box but I cannot paste from anything else, like a blurb typed in Notepad.

EDIT 2: OK, now this is even more weird. If I START the text with a paste from the board (like the special text to link to the player profile), then I can paste AFTER it the blurb that I had written. What is up with this?
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 07-04-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Pwal
All Star Starter

Quote:
[*]The ability to edit the descriptive entry would be nice. As it is, it's "once and done." If there's anything to add or correct, the number must be unretired and re-retired with the entire text ready for input.
Under the "Retire uniform number" menu, there's the option "Enable summary editor" which allows you to edit the text without having to unretire a number.
Pwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #20
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwal View Post
Under the "Retire uniform number" menu, there's the option "Enable summary editor" which allows you to edit the text without having to unretire a number.
HA! Holy Smokes, am I an idiot. Well, duh. Thanks!

EDIT: That answers my first issue but I'm still having CTRL-V / Paste issues.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 07-04-2014 at 05:47 PM.