Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Fictional League Ideas for a New OOTP Generation!

POST your best fictional league ideas... we can do SOOOOOOOO much more with our imaginations with the functionality that has been given to us, post some of your best ideas and lets make a monster thread to help others in the future.

I was reading old fictional ideas from many versions back last night that wouldn't have been feasible then, but are now... here's just one I thought of:

It's a combo historical/fictional. Start in 1921 or 1922 (just after the Black Sox era) with a historical league. THEN build a fictional PCL. Have them compete. You CAN do this now!

That's just one idea I was messing around with -- what are some of yours?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

All 1969,1983 and 1998 MLB teams with full minors.

Divide AL and NL into AL Conference and NL Conference.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
POST your best fictional league ideas... we can do SOOOOOOOO much more with our imaginations with the functionality that has been given to us, post some of your best ideas and lets make a monster thread to help others in the future.

I was reading old fictional ideas from many versions back last night that wouldn't have been feasible then, but are now... here's just one I thought of:

It's a combo historical/fictional. Start in 1921 or 1922 (just after the Black Sox era) with a historical league. THEN build a fictional PCL. Have them compete. You CAN do this now!

That's just one idea I was messing around with -- what are some of yours?
That's an interesting idea. Do you mean combining them in an association?
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Alternate universe leagues one you reverse history, have all current teams but the history is reversed instead of having mlb start in the east then head west, you start west then expand east.
So all teams
Are west coast based, I had 3 in LA besides the dodgers I had the LA Yankees and LA Red Sox. They eventually relocate east which opens the doors for more teams in the east.

Another one I did is I take 30 biggest cities that don't have mlb teams and make them mlb teams and all the real teams I turn then into minor league teams

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
That's an interesting idea. Do you mean combining them in an association?
Not necessarily. I have to test some things but you can definitely run them side by side now using the custom league setup.

Kind of a "what would have happened if the PCL didn't try for too much too soon scenario."

With independent leagues and the ability to combine fictional and historical within the same universe could raise some very interesting possibilities!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

I always thought it'd be fun to add a seniors league, where only players over age 35 would be allowed to play. It'd be a way for aging players to keep going for a bit after they can't compete in the pros anymore.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
donut4free
Bat Boy

I tried making a World League that was fed by every other leagues. Hoping that the best of the best went into the World League. Made 30 teams from all over. Had 2 sub leagues (East West) and divided those up into North and South. It was neat seing Joey Votto signing with the Dehli Ghandis. I simulated about 5 seasons just to get it going and the problem i ran into was the smaller leagues would somehow have problems. One team in the Italian league (name?) had 0 (zero) players on it and it wouldn't continue so I had to delete the league. Another team had 42 people on it's 40 man team. Thought the pc would have handled that by releasing a couple people, but it didn't. Going to try again and see if I can get it to work. Love the game. So indepth.
donut4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
craniak716
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhomess View Post
I always thought it'd be fun to add a seniors league, where only players over age 35 would be allowed to play. It'd be a way for aging players to keep going for a bit after they can't compete in the pros anymore.
I love this idea. Especially since I just began a fictional league and many of the leagues stars in its inaugural season are in their mid to late thirties.
craniak716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

I wish more folks saved their fictional leagues as Quickstarts to give those of us who are somewhat intimidated by the customization options and not knowing what impact making changes in those regards will make to our leagues some options in that regard. I'm usually a modern MLB or historical player, but I've tried several times to play fictional without it really sticking for me. As I understand it, creating a quickstart is pretty easy, and a lot of us (or at the very least, me) would really appreciate having the additional options. Just a thought.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Very interesting idea! Would you have to make the main league a feeder league for the seniors league somehow? I'm not very experienced with anything other than basic league setups, so I wouldn't know how to accomplish this without a lot of trial and error.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut4free View Post
I tried making a World League that was fed by every other leagues. Hoping that the best of the best went into the World League. Made 30 teams from all over. Had 2 sub leagues (East West) and divided those up into North and South. It was neat seing Joey Votto signing with the Dehli Ghandis. I simulated about 5 seasons just to get it going and the problem i ran into was the smaller leagues would somehow have problems. One team in the Italian league (name?) had 0 (zero) players on it and it wouldn't continue so I had to delete the league. Another team had 42 people on it's 40 man team. Thought the pc would have handled that by releasing a couple people, but it didn't. Going to try again and see if I can get it to work. Love the game. So indepth.
I can do this, for sure... League Prestige being in there is a big help to stuff like this.

I actually posted a thread in the quickstart mods forums, I'm definitely going to do a few... I actually just began work on a British Baseball Federation.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
I wish more folks saved their fictional leagues as Quickstarts to give those of us who are somewhat intimidated by the customization options and not knowing what impact making changes in those regards will make to our leagues some options in that regard. I'm usually a modern MLB or historical player, but I've tried several times to play fictional without it really sticking for me. As I understand it, creating a quickstart is pretty easy, and a lot of us (or at the very least, me) would really appreciate having the additional options. Just a thought.
I'm already working on fictional quickstarts for this season... the one that I created last year for 14 is on the wiki. It's a United States Baseball, 48 Continental US State Teams, Elite Baseball Academies in Alaska and Hawaii, and NCAA and HS Feeder setup.

I haven't updated it to 15 yet, I'm not sure how everything will pass over as far as quickstarts go, but I already have projects in the works for this version.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
darkredwing
Minors (Single A)

Kinda of similar to the idea you first mentioned Jay, one thing I always enjoyed trying to do is what-if situation where the Federal League continued to be strong(Cubs wouldn't have moved to Wrigley if that were the case!) Then the PCL would become a fourth major league. Also toyed around with the idea of the Continental League had actually gotten off the ground.
darkredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkredwing View Post
Kinda of similar to the idea you first mentioned Jay, one thing I always enjoyed trying to do is what-if situation where the Federal League continued to be strong(Cubs wouldn't have moved to Wrigley if that were the case!) Then the PCL would become a fourth major league. Also toyed around with the idea of the Continental League had actually gotten off the ground.
We now have the functionality to run a fictional right alongside a historical, so barring some tests, I think that would definitely be doable.

That's the main reason why I posted the new thread... a lot more ideas can be done now.

I'm kicking around a World Baseball Organization where a bunch of billionaires buy in big time to a world baseball league starting with 16 teams. The initial talent is maybe a notch below Japan (PCMs), but we've got money and we've got prestige.

Make MLB, Make the World League, add Internationals, Add Feeders. World League will develop minors as it evolves. Set World League at a 10 prestige with a lot of money and adjust the other league's prestige's accordingly.

I really had to sit down and think and I came up with some crazy ideas.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
We now have the functionality to run a fictional right alongside a historical, so barring some tests, I think that would definitely be doable.

That's the main reason why I posted the new thread... a lot more ideas can be done now.

I'm kicking around a World Baseball Organization where a bunch of billionaires buy in big time to a world baseball league starting with 16 teams. The initial talent is maybe a notch below Japan (PCMs), but we've got money and we've got prestige.

Make MLB, Make the World League, add Internationals, Add Feeders. World League will develop minors as it evolves. Set World League at a 10 prestige with a lot of money and adjust the other league's prestige's accordingly.

I really had to sit down and think and I came up with some crazy ideas.
This is an intriguing idea. I actually thought it might be fun to see what happens with another league competing with MLB for players and whatnot, but would have no idea how to set it up properly itself. I'd definitely give this a whirl if you end up making it. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store!
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I agree. Wasn't there one of those irl back in the early 90's? I think it only lasted a year or two though it pulled in some pretty big stars.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #17
dward1
All Star Reserve

lots of the recent additions have made a international universe much more feasible. the league prestige level makes free agent signings make more sense in a multi-league universe (so far at least, I've only run one offseason) and posting players and selling contracts is a pretty big game-changer as far as moving the best players on up the food chain to the best teams. last years addition of controlling player origin was key also.

this all leads to my global game, where player origin and nation quality is determined by real-life sporting quality by nation (mainly number of pro athletes). so I've got the league quality of 10 in the US and Canada followed by the East Asian league, Northern Europe, Southeast Europe, South America, etc, etc, down to Oceania. the draft pools are accurate by region, so you will see for example Russia, Italy and Spain getting 25, 21, and 19% of the players in Southeast Europe with Ukraine, Poland, Portugal etc on the next level down.

it's very fun to see players filter throughout the world and to have competitions between the leagues at the end of the season. with a wide enough player pool you can export the league and run a legit World Cup also
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #18
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

well there seems to be a Game of Thrones mod or universe for everything BUT ootp...just saying!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #19
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
well there seems to be a Game of Thrones mod or universe for everything BUT ootp...just saying!
I don't think a league with mandatory retirement after one season would be any fun.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:30 AM   #20
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I had this before in my european game. I had 4 major leagues, 2 junior leagues, 3 regular indy leagues and then 2 senior leagues for players 35+. Never actually managed in it though.

My idea which I have written about before and is always on my to do list is a superhero league. In it superheroes and villains got sick of fighting and want to earn some serious money for their abilities so they start entering the league either through draft or free agency. And they will basically be amazing players.

Im loving my current game though thanks to NYY23 for the idea. Its a short game season. Its started with the majors being similar to the NFL and I now have expanded to 48 college teams, 3 indy leagues, the Caribbean/Gulf league and Caribbean /Gulf junior league. They all play 10-16 games except college which has 15 two game series. I like it for how your starter becomes like the quarterback of the team. And its always interesting seeing that big college player get picked first overall and seeing how he does in the majors. Very entertaining league.