Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
Poweshow
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/3 (3)
Promotion/Relegation

Is there ANY chance that we're going to see this this year?

Fictional league players haven't seen any new features in several iterations of OOTP and I'm absolutely clamoring for some new ways to play the game. I've been saying my prayers nightly, ending each session with a prayer for promotion/relegation to be introduced since ~OOTP 4.

ANY ANY ANY chance at all? [please]

Last edited by Poweshow; 01-30-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Poweshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
struggles_mightily
Minors (Triple A)

I believe I'm right in saying that the Italian league, which will come pre-loaded this year, uses promotion/relegation. I wonder if that makes p/r more likely -- maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but soon, and for the rest of our lives?
struggles_mightily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggles_mightily View Post
I believe I'm right in saying that the Italian league, which will come pre-loaded this year, uses promotion/relegation.
Unfortunately, this is no longer true.

"Until 2010, the IBL featured a league format that demoted and relegated the last place finisher to the minor leagues (Series A2), while the Series A2 champion would be promoted into the IBL. However, in late 2009 FIBS approved the decision to eliminate the promotion and relegation system starting with the 2010 season and thus will apply a fixed team franchise format similar to that found in Major League Baseball." -- Wikipedia

But I also wish that promotion/relegation will be a feature available in OOTP 15...
Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
SF_49er
Minors (Single A)

I think the main problem is that american leagues don't have relegation/promotion and so why should OOTP have this?

BUT, m hope is that Markus remember the european tradition in sports and most of the european leagues have relegation and promotion. If i play a german fantasy league, it is not normal that this league don't have promotion/relegation.

Does in Germany proffessional Baseball exist? not really, in Germany the sport has an amateur status and of course amateur sports have in Germany relegation/promotion and if i play a german league, i wants to promote and relegate teams.
SF_49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

You can already do promotion / relegation with the league structure editor. I see no issue with this...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
You can already do promotion / relegation with the league structure editor. I see no issue with this...

The issue is that AI teams don't know how to avoid last place. If a team is having a horrible season in a real-life delegation league, it will do everything it can to avoid getting demoted. OOTP AI teams will just keep selling off stars for prospects and thus stay in last place

Once solution to this was to hold a playoff for relegation because, even if the AI doesn't know how to avoid last place, they do know how to avoid losing a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
The issue is that AI teams don't know how to avoid last place. If a team is having a horrible season in a real-life delegation league, it will do everything it can to avoid getting demoted. OOTP AI teams will just keep selling off stars for prospects and thus stay in last place

Once solution to this was to hold a playoff for relegation because, even if the AI doesn't know how to avoid last place, they do know how to avoid losing a game.
Well that does indeed make sense. OK, maybe I can figure something out for an OOTP 15 update during the summer
Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
greenrebellion
Minors (Triple A)

There are always online league which solves the AI problem! (Shameless plug for my online league...)

Last edited by greenrebellion; 01-30-2014 at 08:59 AM.
greenrebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well that does indeed make sense. OK, maybe I can figure something out for an OOTP 15 update during the summer
How about that if the promotion/relegation box is checked in league setup, then all of the cellar teams automatically shift to win now mode after halfway through the season? That strikes me as an easy and simple solution.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
How about that if the promotion/relegation box is checked in league setup, then all of the cellar teams automatically shift to win now mode after halfway through the season? That strikes me as an easy and simple solution.
Yes, something along those lines would work.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
BigbyWolf
Minors (Double A)

I would love to create league that uses multiple tiers. Even if it was only 2 it would be awesome to experience the joy of promotion and work like crazy to avoid relegation each season.
BigbyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

How would that work with a Major League along with a Triple A League?

A Major League team and it's Triple A team might wind up in the same league.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
moonlightmerc
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post

Dont have them affiliated. I usually just keep them as majors and adjust the financials so the top tier can outbid the lower tiers for free agents.
moonlightmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post

Either have reserve rosters, or don't allow the AAA teams to be promoted. I assume the minors would be a separate entity from the promotion/relegation leagues.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
moonlightmerc
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Either have reserve rosters, or don't allow the AAA teams to be promoted. I assume the minors would be a separate entity from the promotion/relegation leagues.
I have 1 minor league for the reserves and I dont promote the minor leagues. Works perfectly for me no issues yet.
moonlightmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Excellent suggestion IMO..
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggles_mightily View Post
I believe I'm right in saying that the Italian league, which will come pre-loaded this year, uses promotion/relegation. I wonder if that makes p/r more likely -- maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but soon, and for the rest of our lives?
As mentioned, the Italian league doesn't have promotion/relegation irl. The Dutch League does. It has a playoff between the top team in the Overgangsklasse and bottom team in the Hoofdklasse. However the Overgangsklasse will not be included in 15 as we couldn't get enough data on its players to include it, as there's very, very little info available.

So the promotion/relegation aspect of the HH and HO won't factor into the real international leagues.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 01-30-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
As mentioned, the Italian league doesn't have promotion/relegation irl. The Dutch League does. It has a playoff between the top team in the Overgangsklasse and bottom team in the Hoofdklasse. However the Overgangsklasse will not be included in 15 as we couldn't get enough data on it's players to include it, as there's very, very little info available.

So the promotion/relegation aspect of the HH and HO won't factor into the real international leagues.
To be honest, even in Dutch there isn`t a whole lot of data available on the lower divisions
Old 01-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageneezz View Post
To be honest, even in Dutch there isn`t a whole lot of data available on the lower divisions
Yeah, I know.

Do you speak Dutch? Though I guess most Dutch folks understand English I was thinking that it might be a good idea to get someone who speaks Dutch to send an email directly to the KNBSB and the teams themselves and see if its possible to get better info, rosters with dob's, height, weight etc. for the lower leagues and even some of the HH teams that don't have this readily available.

None of the lower leagues would make it into the game this year and might never except in a mod, idk. Still I'd like to have better data for my own personal db and it might eventually make it into the game in one way or another.

If you or anyone who speaks Dutch, French, German, Czech or Spanish would be willing to send some emails for me then send me a PM and I'll get you the text to send and addresses to send it to. Maybe we can get some good info on all the top European Leagues this way!

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 01-30-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #20
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Yeah, I know.

Do you speak Dutch? Though I guess most Dutch folks understand English I was thinking that it might be a good idea to get someone who speaks Dutch to send an email directly to the KNBSB and the teams themselves and see if it's possible to get better info, rosters with dob's, height, weight etc. for the lower leagues and even some of the HH teams that don't have this readily available.

None of the lower leagues would make it into the game this year and might never except in a mod, idk. Still I'd like to have better data for my own personal db and it might eventually make it into the game in one way or another.

If you or anyone who speaks Dutch, French, German, Czech or Spanish would be willing to send some emails for me then send me a PM and I'll get you the text to send and addresses to send it to. Maybe we can get some good info on all the top European Leagues this way!
I do speak Dutch and if you would i could sent the KNBSB your message in Dutch..

Doesn`t Markus speak German btw?