Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #141
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Looks delicious
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #142
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by akw4572 View Post
It's amazing how this thread grew into something totally off base. I really was talking about taking the ball that is in the game. And making it look like it "flies" to the point, instead of every time, it looking like a groundball. Nothing extravagant. Just something real simple.
If it was that simple I would have added it years ago. The problem is the ability to use custom ballpark photos. A 3D-ball animation (which is what you are asking for) would have to be adjusted to viewing angle, distance, field of view etc... if unadjusted, it would look even more crappy than it does now If somebody finds a C++ algorythm that can take care of this, please PM me!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #143
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
If it was that simple I would have added it years ago. The problem is the ability to use custom ballpark photos. A 3D-ball animation (which is what you are asking for) would have to be adjusted to viewing angle, distance, field of view etc... if unadjusted, it would look even more crappy than it does now If somebody finds a C++ algorythm that can take care of this, please PM me!
Can't really help (C# is more my thing) but camera movement in OpenGL is an ass!

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #144
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Glad to see you're looking at the bigger picture, Markus. I'm cool with simple animation, but if adding additional animation meant losing or eliminating custom ballpark photos, the new feature would definitely have to be optional. Having to make the choice between the two I'd opt for the custom ballpark photos any day. However, if the animation could be set within the custom ballpark photos or the game included a way to create custom ballparks or came stocked with a nice collection of parks (like in FM), that would be sweet. Going to be interesting to see how you work this out.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #145
BigCity
All Star Starter

There's numerous ways this can be done; not sure which Markus is considering this early....

1. create a template that all custom ballparks must adhere to. This would place the foul lines and bases in an unmovable position and allow for the tagging of outfield wall positions from the graphic. This would make many of the custom ballparks already available look "weird" in game-play if the animation was on.

2. allow input of a ballpark graphic by tagging all base locations (bases, foul poles, outfield wall locations), then let the internal algorithm figure out where the OOTP field locations fall within those limits. This would be fairly complex but would allow most, if not all, previously made ballparks to be used.

Given the pros and cons of each, I would prefer (I think) the first option where many of the old ballparks would work as is but all new ballparks would follow the template. If someone wanted to use an old ballpark image that didn't work with the new system, they could turn the animation off.

The reason I would chose this option is it would be a smaller investment for OOTP to make and easier to accomplish - and over time would re-instigate the ballpark graphics folks to create more ball fields. Also, if the option proved to be less popular than expected, the risk of a large investment on OOTP's part would be smaller.

Thoughts?
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #146
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
There's numerous ways this can be done; not sure which Markus is considering this early....

1. create a template that all custom ballparks must adhere to. This would place the foul lines and bases in an unmovable position and allow for the tagging of outfield wall positions from the graphic. This would make many of the custom ballparks already available look "weird" in game-play if the animation was on.

2. allow input of a ballpark graphic by tagging all base locations (bases, foul poles, outfield wall locations), then let the internal algorithm figure out where the OOTP field locations fall within those limits. This would be fairly complex but would allow most, if not all, previously made ballparks to be used.

Given the pros and cons of each, I would prefer (I think) the first option where many of the old ballparks would work as is but all new ballparks would follow the template. If someone wanted to use an old ballpark image that didn't work with the new system, they could turn the animation off.

The reason I would chose this option is it would be a smaller investment for OOTP to make and easier to accomplish - and over time would re-instigate the ballpark graphics folks to create more ball fields. Also, if the option proved to be less popular than expected, the risk of a large investment on OOTP's part would be smaller.

Thoughts?
Number 2 would be the only viable option if we wanted to just simply add a ball-flight animation over ballpark images.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #147
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Number 2 would be the only viable option if we wanted to just simply add a ball-flight animation over ballpark images.
Well, there you have it! I'm actually pleased that would be the goal. Overall that would result in a more acceptable feature since so much work has gone into ballparks over the years.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #148
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Don't we to some extent already have that? I know that the real issue behind the scenes is drawing out the parabolas for flies. It's not really all that easy to figure those equations out, particularly if you aren't already a big graphics guy with the college math classes to back that up (and I can't speak for Markus here but I work in IT and sure as hell don't have that background).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #149
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Don't we to some extent already have that? I know that the real issue behind the scenes is drawing out the parabolas for flies. It's not really all that easy to figure those equations out, particularly if you aren't already a big graphics guy with the college math classes to back that up (and I can't speak for Markus here but I work in IT and sure as hell don't have that background).
The equations are not trivial no, but they are probably not degree level math, at least not in the UK.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #150
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
The equations are not trivial no, but they are probably not degree level math, at least not in the UK.
It's calculus, which I could have taken my senior year in HS if I wanted to, but which would have been re-done in college anyway.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #151
orwell
Major Leagues

Reading through this thread, I can't help but wonder if any radio fans around the advent of television had the same ferocious opposition to a new layer of engagement. Probably.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #152
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
Reading through this thread, I can't help but wonder if any radio fans around the advent of television had the same ferocious opposition to a new layer of engagement. Probably.
Now there's an utterly invalid comparison, the two of them bring totally different. Go back and reread what Oman19 wrote. We are the ones more concerned about the game itself instead of eye candy.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #153
orwell
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Now there's an utterly invalid comparison, the two of them bring totally different. Go back and reread what Oman19 wrote. We are the ones more concerned about the game itself instead of eye candy.
Who is "we?" I'm not going to play along with the us vs. them silliness. Clearly, a robust stat engine is not mutually exclusive with a graphical interface. Improvements in one need not signify stagnation or decline in the other.

Let me help you on the analogy.

Radio : Television :: OOTP text : OOTP visualization

It's a pretty basic (and pretty obvious) analogy. There's nothing wrong with preferring radio to television. They have coexisted for quite some time now.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #154
orwell
Major Leagues

Actually, a better analogy would be this forum. In the infancy of the Internet, it may have been limited to an all-caps ASCII font. Then, graphical options such as font effects and then even embedded images appeared. This does not wreck the forum and, of course, the text medium remains the cornerstone of communication here.

I think the same can apply to this game. If a graphical advancement came at the expense of the game's statistics or depth in another area, I would agree with the anti-visualization side. But I think the game's developers are smart enough to incorporate it in a complementary fashion.

Last edited by orwell; 04-01-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Spelling correction.
orwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #155
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Have things like face gen ruined the game?

What about this new feature that will allow logos to be loaded up automatically as the league goes through history? Also a waste?

It may be eye candy, but I think it is wrong to so quickly discount visuals. Even if this game is a supposed 'text sim'.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #156
Garrett67
Minors (Triple A)

I don't think what the OP is suggesting is bad at all.

He isn't seeking to alter the engine nor is he suggesting that time be taken away from improving any other aspect of the game, he just wants some sort of visual to aid in the anticipation with the outcome of a play.

Instead of looking at the screen and thinking "Crap, another grounder..... Oh, its a homerun! "

I will add though that I like how it is and not everybody watches play by play. I try to but I usually just end up simming a week at a time.

Last edited by Garrett67; 04-15-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Garrett67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #157
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Wow, this thread's still going on. Hmmm... Not sure why it crossed my mind, being the blast from the past it is, but I recall once suggesting that I'd be glad if, in addition to a ball flight that's in existence, a frame or a box or a highlight or something appear with the fielder handling the ball. I like being able to see and anticipate a fielder's ability at a position. Sometimes glancing between text and then at the player on completion, I lose a bit of continuity and tension. I like a quick connection between what's happening and the skill of the player fielding the ball. On double plays or assists and the like, it'd just be a matter of a blinking SS, blinking 2B, and blinking 1B for instance. Then I'd be able to see, literally, who dropped the ball.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #158
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
So...the ball animation being one of the few things that annoys me, I hate to bring up the competitor...but if Stratomatic can do it, why can't OOTP do it?
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote