Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #21
geoffmatt17
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacR View Post
I think it has to be a semi-popular player who is from the region. Nobody cares if the 30 year old scrub you happened to sign to a minors deal is from Tampa or Anchorage, Alaska.
Can someone confirm the eligibility of players for this goal? As the Braves (in 2016), I signed Jeff Francoeur (from Atlanta, GA) to a minor league deal (uhh to save money!) knowing I can promote him and he'll make the minimum. I did promote him, he didn't qualify for the owner goal. Then later on I completed a trade and found out my owner now believes Matt Moore is the "closest match", who's from Ft Walton Beach, FL (325 miles per google maps).

1. So, had I signed Francoeur to a major league deal, would he have qualified?
2. Does it not matter that Francoeur has a history in ATL in addition to it being his hometown (drafted in the first round by the Braves and came up through their system)? I feel like fans would have a positive reaction to signing a guy like this as a backup in the twilight of his career.
3. Moore is a high profile guy (IRL at least, my current game says he's unknown nationally and locally which seems like a different issue altogether) so in my owner's eyes, does that trump bringing in a hometown backup?
geoffmatt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #22
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmatt17 View Post
Can someone confirm the eligibility of players for this goal? As the Braves (in 2016), I signed Jeff Francoeur (from Atlanta, GA) to a minor league deal (uhh to save money!) knowing I can promote him and he'll make the minimum. I did promote him, he didn't qualify for the owner goal. Then later on I completed a trade and found out my owner now believes Matt Moore is the "closest match", who's from Ft Walton Beach, FL (325 miles per google maps).

1. So, had I signed Francoeur to a major league deal, would he have qualified?
2. Does it not matter that Francoeur has a history in ATL in addition to it being his hometown (drafted in the first round by the Braves and came up through their system)? I feel like fans would have a positive reaction to signing a guy like this as a backup in the twilight of his career.
3. Moore is a high profile guy (IRL at least, my current game says he's unknown nationally and locally which seems like a different issue altogether) so in my owner's eyes, does that trump bringing in a hometown backup?
1. As far as i can tell he has to have a major league deal and be on the active roster
2. It doesn't matter if they have had history with your team
3. Doesn't matter so long as you bring the guy from outside your organization and sign him to a major league deal and he's on your active roster then you're good.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

I think a lot of people are looking into the owner goals way to hard. They are what they say they are. Play learn and if you don't like them turn them off.

If you're owner wants a top player then you need to get a top 3 or top 6 postion player. Depending on league size. (probably higher still if you have leagues larger then the modern mlb setup)

If you're owner wants a hometown player. Find someone as close as possible to your teams city. Remember the player has to be signed to a major league contract AND be on your active roster. (yes finding players sucks with the current way to search but I don't think there is a lot of weight to this goal or any goal for that matter)

Attendance goals are my personal favorite as they are very fluid. So long as you are making good progress you'll pretty much always get the "good" result at worst you'll get a neutral result.

And remember winning pretty much trumps all. Complete 1-2 goals and have a good season and you're owner 95% of the time will be happy.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #24
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Well, if you're playing as the Rays and signing a player from Tampa doesn't work, I'd say it needs to be looked at pretty hard, Racer.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #25
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
Well, if you're playing as the Rays and signing a player from Tampa doesn't work, I'd say it needs to be looked at pretty hard, Racer.
They should match, and they should always have matched. As long as the player did not play in your organization for a year or 2 before the goal was given, matching cities should always have worked.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #26
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

As the Red Sox of a newly started franchise one of the goals is to acquire a hometown player. The closest one according to my owner is from New York and he's in "yellow" which I assume means sort of, partially, close to Boston.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #27
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
They should match, and they should always have matched. As long as the player did not play in your organization for a year or 2 before the goal was given, matching cities should always have worked.
Oh, that didn't happen to me, was just going off the prior quote.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #28
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
It failed because he signed the player to a minor league deal and put him in the minors. Then called the player up. So the goal considers that bringing up a player from the minors.

As I said the goal wants a player signed with major league contract and put on the active roster you'll get the good result.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I am playing as the 1904 Brooklyn Superbas and I traded for a player hailing from Brooklyn, NY and I have not been told I succeeded.

Season isn't up yet, though.

(The one that drives me crazy is "steal more bases". That is just stupid.)

(Note: that isn't a complaint. Stupid owners can be realistic. )

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #30
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I still don't think this is working properly as of the 16.6.30 update. I acquired Nolan Ryan in trade for the Houston Astros and it shows no progress. Refugio (Ryan's hometown) is 166 miles from Houston. I acquired Hal Lanier from Denton (278 miles) and it shows him as the closest match. Ryan should have satisfied the goal.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #31
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I still don't think this is working properly as of the 16.6.30 update. I acquired Nolan Ryan in trade for the Houston Astros and it shows no progress. Refugio (Ryan's hometown) is 166 miles from Houston. I acquired Hal Lanier from Denton (278 miles) and it shows him as the closest match. Ryan should have satisfied the goal.
Has Ryan recently played for your team? I have confirmed that the game has Ryan as closer to Houston (it shows 151 miles), but we won't count him if he has played for you recently.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #32
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

No, he was acquired in the off-season. I have not completed the season yet. However, I just transferred Ryan from the reserve roster to the active roster for spring training, and the owner recognized him as being a match for the goal. So it appears that he has to be on the active roster?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #33
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
No, he was acquired in the off-season. I have not completed the season yet. However, I just transferred Ryan from the reserve roster to the active roster for spring training, and the owner recognized him as being a match for the goal. So it appears that he has to be on the active roster?
Yes, active or DL should count. Can't give you credit for signing a hometown guy to practice with the main team
Old 07-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #34
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Ok, but the goal says "acquire a hometown player". It doesn't say I have to play him.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #35
marc5477
Minors (Double A)

I dont know... the owners goals have been garbage. They always want to sign old players to extensions when they clearly are not worth the money any more. The hometown player thing is silly. As is his opinion regarding winning. I mean.. I came off a world series win only to have him complain when i did not win the next year. On top of that, I have made over $700m which is just sitting there in the team account so what exactly is the owner complaining about? I just turn him off. I dont think the owner adds anything to the game. Lets work on more realistic player development, better AI contracts, and better AI financial balance (too many broke teams requiring "cheats" to stay afloat).

Last edited by marc5477; 07-03-2015 at 09:12 PM.
marc5477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:15 AM   #36
diesel230
All Star Reserve

Hey Matt, I have always updated the players city of birth. I noticed the game doesn't recognize Queens, Bronx, Staten Island. But it does have Brooklyn as a separate city, as well as New York, New York. I always put Queens and Bronx born players as NY, NY. Why does it have a Brooklyn option but not the other boroughs? Can i add the missing boroughs? Will that effect the "Hometown Player"?

Also guys, double check the players "city of birth". More times then not, if the players city of birth is a town that has the same name in another state, the wrong state is listed. Sometimes even countries. Tons of Canadian players are listed as American due to similar named towns.
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #37
Northernsky
Major Leagues

Hello all - ok this is getting tiresome. Last season the owner asked me to find a hometown player and sign him - i did that and he was happy. So again this year I get the same exact goals including sign a hometown player and there is nobody worth signing in the MLB or beyond from WA. He is pissed and thinks I am ignoring... how can I get passed this without getting sacked? My team is always in the playoffs and always up there competing. I love the goals but i think they are a little boring after awhile when you get the same goals over and over again.

Sorry to gripe but its the only thing I have to gripe with OOTP these days. Loved the game since the days you could have a family and see your kids playing pro ball.
Northernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #38
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Edit: Never mind. Just found it again.
On the League's "Find a player" search screen, there is a checkbox for "from <city> area".

Excellent feature! Thanks much, OOTP 18 crew!

I recently set up a new league. I am nearly certain that I saw an option along the lines of "Find players near city", when I was choosing the home city for all my teams.

But now I am not able to find that feature again.

Was I imagining things or does such a feature exist in the game?
If so, where do I find it within the game menus?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jmknpk2; 10-13-2017 at 08:14 PM.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #39
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

CBS did a story on Homegrown Teams but not one for 2017-18.