Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Player size

Will player size be as highly emphasized in this game as it is in real life? Like, will a QB have less value if he's 6 feet tall? Interested to know. Can't wait for this game!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_15 View Post
Will player size be as highly emphasized in this game as it is in real life? Like, will a QB have less value if he's 6 feet tall? Interested to know. Can't wait for this game!

This is the plan. Football is a highly physical game and big and strong is way better than small and weak. As for the QB, a small one will certainly have more difficulties scanning the field and he will also have a higher chance of having his passes deflected at the LOS. Then again, there are Drew Brees and Russell Wilson who don't seem to be bothered by their lack of height. It will be very difficult to get all of this done right and might take quite a while before we come even close to perfection but the rule of thumb is that all attributes and measurable will matter, ideally to the same degree as they do in real football.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Awesome, thanks for the reply.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

Just to add to the fun, if there is a vision of ultimately having BTS support historical stuff, you will also have to factor in that player size was much different 30 years ago and so on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
Reggie
Major Leagues

Take my money
Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Just to add to the fun, if there is a vision of ultimately having BTS support historical stuff, you will also have to factor in that player size was much different 30 years ago and so on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Historical stuff will be quite difficult to add. In contrast to baseball, football has changed in dramatic ways over the decades. The game of today looks so much different from the game of the past because of all the rule changes that have occurred. So we can't really use the same simulation logic for historical games and tweaking the engine for all possible scenarios should be close to impossible. So we most likely will have to be content with the modern NFL.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
james17
All Star Starter

Will we still be able to use fictional players? If so, will there be an inaugural draft like OOTP Baseball?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
Will we still be able to use fictional players? If so, will there be an inaugural draft like OOTP Baseball?

Fictional players, fictional leagues and fantasy drafts should be part of the first release. It's just quite tough to have historical leagues because of the way the game of football has changed.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Winter View Post
Historical stuff will be quite difficult to add. In contrast to baseball, football has changed in dramatic ways over the decades. The game of today looks so much different from the game of the past because of all the rule changes that have occurred. So we can't really use the same simulation logic for historical games and tweaking the engine for all possible scenarios should be close to impossible. So we most likely will have to be content with the modern NFL.

Makes sense and is fine by me, as I'm a "fictional guy" at heart!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Fictional players, fictional leagues and fantasy drafts should be part of the first release. It's just quite tough to have historical leagues because of the way the game of football has changed.

Fictional league play is my favorite part of OOTP. I think it's the most immersive part of the game. I'd love to see storylines expand both for OOTP and for BTS. I encourage you guys to involve as many storylines into the game as humanly possible, even if it doesn't necessarily have an affect on the field.

Having stories of guys visiting sick kids (to show good personality traits) or showing up to practice late due to partying or something all make the fictional players seem so much more real and the game much more immersive.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
jwarner
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
Fictional league play is my favorite part of OOTP. I think it's the most immersive part of the game. I'd love to see storylines expand both for OOTP and for BTS. I encourage you guys to involve as many storylines into the game as humanly possible, even if it doesn't necessarily have an affect on the field.

Having stories of guys visiting sick kids (to show good personality traits) or showing up to practice late due to partying or something all make the fictional players seem so much more real and the game much more immersive.
I second this. Immersion is huge for games that can be glorified spreadsheets sometimes.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarner View Post
I second this. Immersion is huge for games that can be glorified spreadsheets sometimes.

This will not be a major point of emphasis for the first version since we first want to get the basics right. In later versions we will certainly add more and more of this stuff.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #13
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
This will not be a major point of emphasis for the first version since we first want to get the basics right. In later versions we will certainly add more and more of this stuff.
This. The actually gameplay is always the most important part.