Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
SwedishChef
Minors (Double A)

Setting up the farm system..

This is my third generation of OOTP, but the first time I've dabbled in the past. Generally, I live by the motto "YOLO". Then Tony died and well that was a bummer, so I'm a "YALA" convert. (I've been doing late 70s and early 80s)

How do you guys setup your farm system? Do you ghost players? Do you fill it with fictional players? Do you not allow those fictional players to go to the big leagues?

I have a few issues.

1. If I don't fill it up and allow the fakies to play, injuries mount and there is no where to turn.

2. When I start the a historical sim, I have a 40 man roster and that's it. A lot of the guys in the minors are out of options. Spring training happens, and bam, they can't be sent back to the minors without going thru waivers and accepting their demotion. I know I could mess with the demotion/service time, but is there another strategy that I'm missing? Skipping the initial spring training?

3. Anybody play with scouting turned on in the past? I suppose you could do it and try to play by the honor system.

4. ....side note, what is up with the AI GMs letting their non-A/B type FAs that are already superstars just walk? Ozzie Smith, Alan Trammel, etc. are almost always there for the picking for boiled peanuts.
SwedishChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
SwedishChef
Minors (Double A)

also, it's hard for me to tell from my limited experience and the fact that there were a few straight to majors guys 30 years ago, but is the "draft pool" the actual pool of guys who made it to the majors from that particular draft or is it the guys that made their MLB debut the next year?

thx
Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishChef View Post
also, it's hard for me to tell from my limited experience and the fact that there were a few straight to majors guys 30 years ago, but is the "draft pool" the actual pool of guys who made it to the majors from that particular draft or is it the guys that made their MLB debut the next year?

thx

The guys that made their MLB debuts.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
SwedishChef
Minors (Double A)

so is there any purpose in setting up a farm system at all? maybe just AAA
Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
so is there any purpose in setting up a farm system at all? maybe just AAA
Are you using recalc?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
SwedishChef
Minors (Double A)

i was using the development system. what's the difference?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i was using the development system. what's the difference?
If you're using the development engine, setting up a farm system might be useful. Players appear major league ready, but let's face it some more than others. If you use recalc, a farm system is pretty much just for looks and or a place to stash players. Recalc does exactly what the name says, it recalcs a players ratings every offseason according to real life. There's one year recalc, 3 year and 5 year.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
SwedishChef
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
If you're using the development engine, setting up a farm system might be useful. Players appear major league ready, but let's face it some more than others. If you use recalc, a farm system is pretty much just for looks and or a place to stash players. Recalc does exactly what the name says, it recalcs a players ratings every offseason according to real life. There's one year recalc, 3 year and 5 year.
thanks for the info. doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of seeing how the players would develop differently?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
thanks for the info. doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of seeing how the players would develop differently?
Yes, recalc does tend to take a lot of the mystery out of things. But, there are still surprises. I like using a combination of both recalc and the development engine.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Radsmats
Minors (Double A)

Nerf the gene pool

Under game settings / league settings / players there's something called Sabermetric player creation modifiers. In past versions of OOTP at least you could lower these (I would start with -.200 across the board) and you'll fill up the minors with plenty of injury subs who can't hit or pitch a lick.
Otherwise, every era has a position w/ a shortage of talent (usually 2b/3b/ss, sometimes catcher) where marginal players gain hugely in value simply because there's no replacements. IRL, even a league where half the SSs hit .215 had minor leagues below them where the SS would hit .200 if you called them up.
I haven't play-tested w/ 16 yet to see if it still works but it should.
One caution ... there's no setting for fielding / speed, so every year I would go into the minors, search for guys w/ 5-star ratings in those fields and nerf them too. If you wait til they get to the majors, the AI will overvalue them, which gives you a large advantage in draft / trade leagues.
I discovered this when after 5 or so years, every team had a track star or two on the bench who was also a defensive genius, which really devalues guys like Otis Nixon.
Radsmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #11
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

NERF

Okay, I give up. You would think I've been around here long enough, but I am drawing a blank. What does it mean?

So while I'm here, let me ask this. What qualifies as the lowest minor league that the game states should not be less than 35 players? I seem to find guys who go for YEARS without getting in a game.

I am trying to set up the minors with players who are going to be less talented, for the most part, than the real life players sent down from my ML. I'll live with the occasional fictional guy getting called up. So what adjustments can I make to accomplish this?

Thanks for the help.