Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > FHM 3 - Technical Support

FHM 3 - Technical Support Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
pate
Bat Boy

Crashes and Losing Saves

On the beta, I would get a few crashes. On the initial release version, the crashes increased. On version 3.0.65 the crashes have increased even more.

The most frequent time it crashes is when creating a game (in both PTG and sandbox), after I have selected the leagues and input the manager name, team, and ratings. I'd say only 1 in 3 tries to start a new game is successful. I have also seen a lot of crashes when advancing days, and some when viewing player rating pages.

More troubling, is that maybe 25% of the time, after a crash all of my saved games are gone, not just the one that crashed. I have not noticed anyone else mention this issue so I'm not sure if it is something unique to me.

Thank you
pate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

1. I highly doubt that a crash would erase any other saves because there are never more then one save loaded, so there is no way other saves could be destroyed. Are you really sure that happens?

And any patter you could make out? Does the game e.g. always crashes when you start a PtG game and select an NHL team?

And finally, could you upload a save that crashes on you when advancing days?

It looks like we have a small number of people that have this problems. At the moment I try to find out what might be the cause because saves from them never crash on my computer, I´m just able to continue their games normally (not saying that it does not crash on their computer, it just makes it harder to find the cause).

Interestingly you are the second person to report that after the 0.65 patch it became even worst. You mentioned that you played the beta, did you switch to Steam now?
Old 11-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
pate
Bat Boy

Yes, it has happened. The first time, 3 previous saves disappeared. It has happened a few other times where 1 save disappeared. Each time, these were the only saves I had (after the crash the load game screen shows nothing to load).

I have not noticed a pattern. It has crashed when starting both modes. It has happened starting unemployed, as an NHL team, as junior teams, and as a KHL team.

I will upload the next save that crashes when advancing days.

I have not switched to Steam.

I tried to start a new game while writing this message, and it crashed. Here is a screenshot. https://s21.postimg.org/ejjuzn6pj/Untitled.png
Old 11-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

It is the problem the others 2-3 have seen as well. I will setup a special test build for some and try to find the cause. Again, it is hard to find for us because it does not crash like that on any of our test machines. I keep you updated on the process.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
tem316
Minors (Triple A)

The first time it crashed for me, it wiped out an entire season. I had saved numerous times over the four days it took me to get into season two of a career. I also have notice .65 build has made the problem occur at the same point in time. Over and over. Jeff R was emailed the trace file this morning.
tem316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem316 View Post
The first time it crashed for me, it wiped out an entire season. I had saved numerous times over the four days it took me to get into season two of a career. I also have notice .65 build has made the problem occur at the same point in time. Over and over. Jeff R was emailed the trace file this morning.
Did you upload a save?
Old 11-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
tem316
Minors (Triple A)

What?? I don't know how to "upload" the save, but I sent Jeff R and email this morning that I did recreate the losing of saves. It occurs when you are loading a game to continue, and that is the moment PtG decides to crash. It will totally clear out all saved games no matter how old or new, and does not care if they were sandbox or PtG. They are just gone. I sent a trace file of this this morning as well.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

Sebastian's been looking at the trace files you sent me, but we can't see anything wrong in them. We need to look at the save file itself - if you go to the start menu, then settings-troubleshooting and click on the "Open customizable data folder" button, you should see a list of folders. Click on the saved_game one, and you should see a list of your saved game folders (they end in .lg - you may not be able to see them in the game's load screen anymore if there's a problem with the file that controls that, but there's no way for them to be deleted entirely.)

Right-click on the one that crashed most recently, then Send to - compressed (zipped) folder. Then upload that .zip file to either our ftp site (instructions here) or to a site like filedropper.com or dropbox and send me the link to it.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
pate
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Sebastian's been looking at the trace files you sent me, but we can't see anything wrong in them. We need to look at the save file itself - if you go to the start menu, then settings-troubleshooting and click on the "Open customizable data folder" button, you should see a list of folders. Click on the saved_game one, and you should see a list of your saved game folders (they end in .lg - you may not be able to see them in the game's load screen anymore if there's a problem with the file that controls that, but there's no way for them to be deleted entirely.)
Before writing my last reply, I checked this folder and it was empty.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pate View Post
Before writing my last reply, I checked this folder and it was empty.
Could you take a screenshot of that? I just want to make sure you're looking in the correct folder; if you are and whole save folders are disappearing, something very unusual is happening.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
tem316
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem316 View Post
What?? I don't know how to "upload" the save, but I sent Jeff R and email this morning that I did recreate the losing of saves. It occurs when you are loading a game to continue, and that is the moment PtG decides to crash. It will totally clear out all saved games no matter how old or new, and does not care if they were sandbox or PtG. They are just gone. I sent a trace file of this this morning as well.
Here is what I get when I try to send to zip file. Could something in the save file be the culprit?
Old 11-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
tem316
Minors (Triple A)

Guys, I cannot send it to a zip file because it is telling me that the full file name has symbols and characters that cannot be sent to a Zip File. I am totally confused because my file name is a name PtG and the word career. It is telling me the file name is a massive name with symbols from a nordic language in it! At this point I am really getting a little ticked. Suggestions?
Old 11-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #13
tem316
Minors (Triple A)

And the message above "Here is what I get when I try to send to zip file. Could something in the save file be the culprit?" had the screen print of the actual message.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:50 AM   #14
JeffR
FHM Producer

Sent you an email about how to zip it without getting that error.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
pate
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Could you take a screenshot of that? I just want to make sure you're looking in the correct folder; if you are and whole save folders are disappearing, something very unusual is happening.

https://s16.postimg.org/emjrt7epx/FHM3_screenshot.png
Old 11-10-2016, 01:34 AM   #16
JeffR
FHM Producer

Wow, that's very weird - there are other files in that directory besides the save and they seem to be gone as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
Trefilov22
Bat Boy

I have the same issue.. HAS THIS BEEN RESOLVED?
Trefilov22 is offline   Reply With Quote