Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Please settle the debate for me-Favor Tools or Favor Ability?

I've been experimenting with different types of scouts in my save, and I cant figure out which one is better. This is something I've been wondering about since last years game. For example I drafted what looked to be a stud pitcher in the top 10 who had if i recall correctly, 75 potential for my scout that favored tools. I lost that scout in the offseason, so I hired a scout who favored ability to replace him because of his great scouting ratings. That same pitcher who was a 75 potential is now a 20 potential player, and now I feel like I wasted a top 10 pick. Ik potentials can change, but to go from 75 to 20 from the draft to the offseason shouldn't be a thing. Idk if my scout just really hates this guy, but I feel like there shouldn't be that much of a difference. After the season, I got another new scout that favored ability and he felt the same about said player.

I've since been using a scout who is neutral when it comes to his preference and it's too early to tell how the draft picks under him turn out, but it's frustrating as heck to see promising players turn to nothing based on the scout. So basically, I need to make a decision on which type of scout to get moving forward, as I can't keep playing this game where I switch scouts every offseason.

Thanks for any input
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
BlueSkull
Minors (Single A)

Historically, the way I thought about it is that the high tools scout was going to find more very high upside but also high risk players. So fewer who make it through the funnel, but the ones who do might be superstars for example. On the other hand, the abilities leaning scout will find more players who are decent/good players but lower probability of finding the 5-star players.

They might both be good for different circumstances. If you have a barren minor league system, you might want to fill it with a lot of good players -- go with the high ability. If you have a decent system and you want to take more risk to find the rock stars, go with tools.

Personally, I tend to with favor tools because it seems to win you have to load your team with 5-star players like the cubs or dodgers, so having a bunch of 2-star players is not that useful for me.
BlueSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Well, there's no one right answer to this...if there were, there'd only be one kind of scout.

Guys who favor ability will look at the skills aspects of baseball...particular things that scouts look for. If they're fundamentally good at baseball, their "ability" will be favored by the scout over others.

Guys who favor tools will look at the natural, raw talent of players. Like, if a guy is bigger, faster, and stronger than other players, yet may not have produced much on the field, the scout who favors tools will want you to take a long, hard look at him and see if you can develop him further.

It all comes down to personal preference...what do you look for when you see a prospect? Fundamentals? Raw talent? Your game, your choice. Keep experimenting, you may find something that works for you.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_15 View Post
It all comes down to personal preference...what do you look for when you see a prospect? Fundamentals? Raw talent? Your game, your choice. Keep experimenting, you may find something that works for you.
All good comments so far, but this is key. The scout that you want should be the one that suits your own style of play. I am always looking for young talent and I stock up on as many prospects as I can, hoping that at least a few pan out. That is my style of play. To suit that, my scout needs to Favor Tools.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote