Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #41
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

I have the 2nd gen touch

<crying>
RBLwebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #42
hobbitrjw
Minors (Triple A)

I think that I speak for all 2nd gen and older device owners when I say I'm very disappointed that this game is not being supported on these devices. We are already getting the shaft from Apple when it comes to IOS 4.3 and their continuing to support our devices as best they can. Which is why we have to turn to you the app developers for at least a little help here. I whole heartedly would wait longer for this game to come out if it means more people can play it because you included support for all devices.
hobbitrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #43
CD1083
All Star Starter

I think that I speak for all Comodore 64 and older device owners when I say I'm very dissapointed that this game is not being supported on these devices...
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #44
hit_or_miss54680
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitrjw View Post
I think that I speak for all 2nd gen and older device owners when I say I'm very disappointed that this game is not being supported on these devices. We are already getting the shaft from Apple when it comes to IOS 4.3 and their continuing to support our devices as best they can. Which is why we have to turn to you the app developers for at least a little help here. I whole heartedly would wait longer for this game to come out if it means more people can play it because you included support for all devices.
It's the price you [we] pay for buying an Apple product. Think of it as a two year rental or something and it's not quite as bad.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #45
Slappy
Bat Boy

So get a new iPod touch!
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #46
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure you would wait longer. You'd be one of those gaining access to the game.

lol.

I feel your pain, but I found that funny.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #47
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Davis View Post
I think that I speak for all Comodore 64 and older device owners when I say I'm very dissapointed that this game is not being supported on these devices...

You know what was a good game for the Commadore 64? Magic Johnson Basketball.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #48
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons View Post
You know what was a good game for the Commadore 64? Magic Johnson Basketball.
I liked Raid over Moscow myself
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #49
Afino
Hall Of Famer

I might have to buy an iTouch just for this alone.

Okay, I was probably going to get an iPhone 4 anyways, so this works for me.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #50
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
I liked Raid over Moscow myself

Naturally, but I was really referring to sports titles. However, now that you mention other genres, Beach-Heads 1 and 2 come to mind.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #51
Guthrien
Minors (Single A)

I made an account here merely to say that this is my most anticipated game since I've owned an iPad. There are no competent simulations to speak of and no real compelling baseball games. There are a few sour grapes meeting your announcement about what this is or where you invested your time but I just wanted you to know that I think it will be a great hit and I'm thrilled you made the effort. Thank you, I'll be there day one.
Guthrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #52
hobbitrjw
Minors (Triple A)

All i'm saying is because Apple has given us the shaft we have to look to the app devlopers themselves for some sort of help here,and really and honestly if they can put Football Manager on a 2nd gen device (which they did) and it runs fine,then I see no reason why IOOTP cannot be done.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 AM   #53
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Trust me, we're disappointed as well. However, we've not entirely given up yet... we're still optimizing memory use. But, on an older device you usually have about 20-30 MB of free memory. iOOTP with a loaded major league game currently eats 50 MB, so chances are slim that we will bring it down to 30 MB somehow. However, we're still determining under which circumstances an older device may have ~60 MB free memory in oder to run iOOTP properly. Also, a smaller fictional league may work on these devices... we'll keep you posted!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:49 AM   #54
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
and honestly if they can put Football Manager on a 2nd gen device (which they did) and it runs fine,then I see no reason why IOOTP cannot be done.
Football manager leagues aren't half the size of OOTP leagues... But again, we've not given up on this issue yet...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #55
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Trust me, we're disappointed as well. However, we've not entirely given up yet... we're still optimizing memory use. But, on an older device you usually have about 20-30 MB of free memory. iOOTP with a loaded major league game currently eats 50 MB, so chances are slim that we will bring it down to 30 MB somehow. However, we're still determining under which circumstances an older device may have ~60 MB free memory in oder to run iOOTP properly. Also, a smaller fictional league may work on these devices... we'll keep you posted!

Out of curiosity as well, how does iOOTP compare to the very first OOTP in terms of memory usage and things of this nature? Just trying to grasp how far technology has come in the last dozen years.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #56
hobbitrjw
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
What if I were to suggest that a older gen version be made? I mean for example you will have a Ipad version come out that surely can handle more than the current Iphone version. I'd suggest a 2nd Iphone version for older devices and in it you dont include the Major League game option,which as I see it would be acceptable,since most people play OOTP as either a Fictional,or historical game. I'm not sure how historical would run on a 2nd gen device but surely some of the earlier years of baseball would not be very large files.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #57
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons View Post
Out of curiosity as well, how does iOOTP compare to the very first OOTP in terms of memory usage and things of this nature? Just trying to grasp how far technology has come in the last dozen years.
OOTP 1 came out when the average amount of Ram was 64/128 MB running at 133 GHZ and processor speeds were Pentium 3's with about 600 GHZ

The iPhone 4 has 512 MB of Ram and a single core 1.0 GHZ processor which is miles ahead of the the old processors in terms of architecture, processing pipelines, front side bus etc etc

The Ram itself also runs at a much higher clock speed.
From what Markus said in another thread it seems that iOOTP runs off the OOTP 11 code. The game can run up to 30 teams in a single league. I am not sure about the size of the minors. Maybe it will use mostly ghost players. Maybe full minors.
Stats are going to be cut down to simple stats and L/R splits.
I am not sure about advanced stats like Vorp and OPS+ I hope those make it in

The iPad 2 also has 512 MB of Ram and a dual core processor running at 900 Mhz
However due to increase in technology it runs faster than the 1.0 GHZ processor previously.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #58
rangers85
All Star Reserve

Location: Fort Worth, TX...home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs
Quote:
What if I were to suggest that a older gen version be made? I mean for example you will have a Ipad version come out that surely can handle more than the current Iphone version. I'd suggest a 2nd Iphone version for older devices and in it you dont include the Major League game option,which as I see it would be acceptable,since most people play OOTP as either a Fictional,or historical game. I'm not sure how historical would run on a 2nd gen device but surely some of the earlier years of baseball would not be very large files.

I'm pretty sure the iPad version will be the same as the iPhone version. It'll just be optimized for the much larger display to use the full screen and not use up only the size of the iPhone screen like a non native app would do.
rangers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 AM   #59
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
I'm pretty sure the iPad version will be the same as the iPhone version. It'll just be optimized for the much larger display to use the full screen and not use up only the size of the iPhone screen like a non native app would do.
Right, feature-wise it will not offer anything that the iPhone version doesn't, as the first iPad has only 256 MB of RAM. We will optimize the screens & navigation for iPad, so that more info fits onto the screen
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #60
hobbitrjw
Minors (Triple A)

All I'm hoping for is that you guys can somehow find a solution for the memory problem that older devices would have. I know someone earlier in the thread said to just get a new device,but I think what people fail to realize here is nowdays thats not simple for some people. I mean look at how much the Iphone 4 costs,its what $300-$400? I mean I realize how far the technology has advanced however some people cxan't simply afford to go and "just get a new one" Especially if their device works fine right now,and with Apple having turned a blind eye on the older gen devices,we simply don't need the devlopers to do the same. So I truly hope that enough time is taken with beta testing to find a solution to this problem.