Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
pitch62
Minors (Triple A)

Stats only

Getting bored and need a new challenge! Give me some advice on stats only if you're playing that way. Thanks
pitch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Tashtego
Minors (Double A)

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=249105
Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

You know, the disappearance of The Wolf (stats only was a favorite topic of his) from these forums is rather remarkable. His account is set up so that you cannot tell the last time he visited, but his last post (in that persona) was exactly 15 months ago today. I hope he is OK.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-06-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

That's an interesting read, and even more interesting insight playing stats only.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

If you are going to play stats only I suggest looking into how to add feeder leagues. Otherwise drafting is a real crapshoot.

I've been playing that way myself for years now and I do enjoy it. I won;t say it's better or more realistic to play that way, but it is different and makes you think a bit more. Plus it makes yu appreciate what all the different stats really mean which makes you appreciate the real game a bit more in my opinion
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Unfortunately stats only has been banned as a way to play OOTP.

A recent study showed that proponents of the style of play equated to a zealous mindset similar to religious fanaticism.

It has been decided those that were playing stats only must now strictly adhere to all scouted ratings and can only make roster moves based on star ratings.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
low
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, sounds like I need to try out this stats only thing.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

EXPOS is right though, there have been some fierce arguments over this. The truth is its harder to build a winning team in many ways but you do end up side stepping a few traps too. You've all seen the five tool can't miss players you sign for a fortune and they end up hitting sub .220 with a -1 WAR and a contract you could not sell for love nor money right? That's because all you see are the bars and stars. Turn those off and look at his stats and you might see a guy who is under performing and asking for too much money. At the same time you might pass over a guy the scouts say should be throwing batting practice for the rest of his life with 1 star and red bars but his WHIP is 0.5 and he ends up being a quality pitcher. Stats only focuses only on the player's performance. not their potential or skills.

I would not say, as some like the Wolf argue, it's more realistic. Actual GMs have a ton of SW & scouting tools for evaluating players beyond even what OOTP offers it's players. But, in my opinion only, it does make the game a bit more of a challenge particularly when it comes to prospects. Since you can't see their potential you can only judge them on their actual performance. Which s why you need feeders.

Feeder Leagues are a pain. They work well enough but the create real players and play real games that slows down OOTP and bloats the file size. That becomes an issue later on. Other than a stats only game I see no use for them. But with Stats only, they become a real asset and it's fun scouting them I've found.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
udbacker58
All Star Starter

You could always join our league......we will help you learn stats only
udbacker58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
nhuet
Bat Boy

i'm confused. how would i do this and why would i want to remove information?
nhuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuet View Post
For the additional challenge and, some say, for added realism. I prefer to think of the support as virtual reality; that is, my scouts and support staff have prepared all of these reports containing star and number ratings for me.

Stats-only is tough and time-consuming. I have only a limited amount of time for game playing and it's the results that matter to me - the careers, the records, and the dynasties - not whether I used a slide rule to manage my own team.

But here is a heartfelt salute to stats-only players and the game that allows them to play that way:

- Bru

Old 09-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuet View Post
Seconding Deja Bru and adding this one point. It IS a challenge in that with ratings stats is just one data set. Without them it's your ONLY data set. So you learn pretty quick which ones are meaningful and which are not. It teaches you a different way to evaluate players that you can use watching real life baseball.

It would be a realistic way to manage in the 1900's through 1980's but with the technology available today real scouts and GMs can make reports similar to the OOTP ratings.

I'd say start a game and just give it a try for a season or two, It costs nothing and you might like it.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
Barkingturtle
Minors (Single A)

For me, the trouble with stats-only in the past two iterations of OOTP is that coaches and personnel now possess attributes representing their preference to evaluate players by ratings in addition to current year's stats and past years'. We still have the AI settings where we can set the various percentages league-wide, but I personally quit playing stats-only last year because I was worried how the AI would cope with these conflicting settings.

Say I set the league-wide evaluation settings to zero with regards to ratings--the coaches and GMs are still in possession of their own individual preferences, so how is that being reconciled? And if my coach is going to use ratings to set his line-ups, don't I need to know those ratings?
Barkingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #14
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
You know, the disappearance of The Wolf (stats only was a favorite topic of his) from these forums is rather remarkable. His account is set up so that you cannot tell the last time he visited, but his last post (in that persona) was exactly 15 months ago today. I hope he is OK.
I too miss the Wolf and his devotion to that style of play.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #15
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Yes, seems like we have lost a lot of good people over the years...."BigCityBaseball", "Justafan", and "The Wolf" are just a few that come to mind.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #16
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Yes, seems like we have lost a lot of good people over the years...."BigCityBaseball", "Justafan", and "The Wolf" are just a few that come to mind.
Whoa, what happened to those first two guys? What makes you think they are gone?

- Bru

Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #17
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Whoa, what happened to those first two guys? What makes you think they are gone?
Well, Justafan hasn't been here since January, so that's probably a good indication?

BC hasn't posted since late May.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #18
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Justafan hasn't been around since January, and I haven't seen BigCity in ages!.....I don't mean they passed away or anything, I just mean they haven't been here.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #19
YachtRocker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I just finished my first starts only season and ended up in the cellar it wasn't a good season. That being said I did learn a lot about what starts are meaningful and now will idle that in my regular OOTP league also. Hopefully it will help me. Stats only is a lot of work but cash be fun if your a stats person.
YachtRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

What stats to people find most useful?

For pitchers, I like era+ & war

For batters, I like ops+ and war.