Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #81
Overkill
Minors (Double A)

Ian Kinsler's new contract is in the game, the length and numbers are almost correct, but the years are wrong. Just change current year of contract to 1, signed in 2013, and the team option in the final year is for $5,000,000.

MLB Theorem
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #82
mikestack
Minors (Triple A)

Hi there, a couple quick notes on my beloved Mets. This appears to be the best roster set I've seen from you guys. A couple areas of note, mostly data-driven with a couple observations:

SP Jeurys Familia: The Mets have given up on Familila on a starter, lack of changeup development is usually cited. I think his overall rating is accurate, but with a couple pitch adjustments (Baseball Prospectus cites his fastball as "plus plus", so maybe bumping that up and his changeup way down) would profile him as a reliever.

SP Matt Harvey- I think your velocity rating is a touch low, he's listed 92-94mph, but Harvey is averaging 95mph (per Fangraphs PitchFx) and touching 98mph since his callup late last year.

SP Jonathon Niese is renowned for his ability to hold baserunners in place, virtually neutralizing the running game of opponents, including a streak of 36 games without a stolen base allowed at one point. I'm not inclined to make subjective calls in this thread, but it seems like an average "Hold Runners" score seems way off.

MR Pedro Feliciano's velocity has been low-80s since spring training, there's talk of it being arm strength issues, but it's unclear whether he's overrated or not.

MR Aaron Laffey is being used as a starter by the Mets and started 16 games for the Blue Jays last year, but profiles as "Strictly Bullpen".

I don't know why Mike Baxter is coming up as a 1B when he's been an outfielder his entire MLB career (though he played some 1B in the minors). This may be out of control of the roster set.

3B David Wright's defense was, by objective measures (e.g. UZR), about as good as it got last year in the league, and he's running a 60+ streak of no errors, but he's listed as an average third baseman. It's a small thing, but I never saw Wright as a pull hitter either.

I have some thoughts about the farm system as well, but obviously it's hard to be objective about prospects, what with no real history to work with. I'm going to give the farm a once over in the next few days, if I find anything else notable, I'll let you know, but this is really noteworthy:

2B Reese Havens has been just devastated by injuries over his career, but the game lists him as "Durable".
mikestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #83
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Hang on
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #84
Overkill
Minors (Double A)

There are 11 players in the game with salaries of $480,000. This is, of course, below the league minimum of $490,000 for this year. All players are currently on the DL for their respective teams.

TOR - Kyle Drabek
ATL - Brandon Beachy
MIA - Logan Morrison
OAK - Fernando Rodriguez
MIA - Alfredo Silverio
HOU - Alex White
ARI - Daniel Hudson
CLE - Frank Herrmann
MIL - Mat Gamel
COL - Edwar Cabrera
NYY - Cesar Cabral

MLB Theorem
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #85
Overkill
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Dunno what we want to do about this one. My initial reaction is that we'll leave it as is. After paying him all that money for so long the poor Mariners player could likely use a cheap year.
Felix Hernandez also has no-trade protection for the duration of the contract. He'll get it anyways in 2015, but I added a no-trade clause to him in my own game.

MLB Theorem
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #86
mikestack
Minors (Triple A)

One more from the Mets:

CL Bobby Parnell developed a knuckle curve. It's been a big pitch for him. Not sure how best to accurately rate it, but it's made a huge difference in his game.
mikestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #87
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Chicago Cubs

Jorge Soler has a minor league deal in-game, in reality has a 9 year 30 million dollar deal.

Last edited by Nero; 04-12-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #88
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestack View Post
Hi there, a couple quick notes on my beloved Mets. This appears to be the best roster set I've seen from you guys. A couple areas of note, mostly data-driven with a couple observations:
As a die hard Mets fan myself I'm happy to see another Mets fan here. Thanks for the praise too, it's appreciated.

Quote:
SP Jeurys Familia: The Mets have given up on Familila on a starter, lack of changeup development is usually cited. I think his overall rating is accurate, but with a couple pitch adjustments (Baseball Prospectus cites his fastball as "plus plus", so maybe bumping that up and his changeup way down) would profile him as a reliever.
Agree. Will do so on the change and fastball. Although it's worth noting that this isn't something we have full control over. We can set the stuff rating and the general level of the pitches but the game itself does some sort of voodoo to come up with a specific numerical rating for each pitch. Sometimes it's a bit trial and error to get this sort of thing to come out right.

Quote:
SP Matt Harvey- I think your velocity rating is a touch low, he's listed 92-94mph, but Harvey is averaging 95mph (per Fangraphs PitchFx) and touching 98mph since his callup late last year.
Agreed here too. Adjusted to 95-97.

Quote:
SP Jonathon Niese is renowned for his ability to hold baserunners in place, virtually neutralizing the running game of opponents, including a streak of 36 games without a stolen base allowed at one point. I'm not inclined to make subjective calls in this thread, but it seems like an average "Hold Runners" score seems way off.
Done. Up to 175.

Quote:
MR Pedro Feliciano's velocity has been low-80s since spring training, there's talk of it being arm strength issues, but it's unclear whether he's overrated or not.
He is overrated. I've already killed his velocity and significantly decreased his stuff. It'll show up in the next update, as will all this stuff.

Quote:
MR Aaron Laffey is being used as a starter by the Mets and started 16 games for the Blue Jays last year, but profiles as "Strictly Bullpen".
Laffey's stamina is fine, maybe even too high. He's just not rated as a guy the ai will want to start. And I really don't think he should be, since he's not really that good.

I don't see any problems here, the profile in game should be taken with a grain of salt.

Still, gave him a tiny boost to his control.

Quote:
I don't know why Mike Baxter is coming up as a 1B when he's been an outfielder his entire MLB career (though he played some 1B in the minors). This may be out of control of the roster set.
It's not. Someone gave him a 1b rating and set his primary position in the db to 1B. That's clearly wrong. I'm changing it. In fact I've removed his 1b rating entirely, since he's only played one inning at 1b his entire MLB career.

Quote:
3B David Wright's defense was, by objective measures (e.g. UZR), about as good as it got last year in the league, and he's running a 60+ streak of no errors, but he's listed as an average third baseman. It's a small thing, but I never saw Wright as a pull hitter either.
I'm torn on Wright's fielding. Most years it hasn't been good, for his career he's at -12.1UZR according to fangraphs and in 2009-2011 he was at -9.9 UZR or worse every year.
Overall, I don't really see any compelling evidence to support making much of a change.

Agree on the pull hitter, changed to normal.

Quote:
I have some thoughts about the farm system as well, but obviously it's hard to be objective about prospects, what with no real history to work with. I'm going to give the farm a once over in the next few days, if I find anything else notable, I'll let you know,
The minors are still very much a work in progress, we had some issues just before release that kept us from polishing them up as much as we'd like. Still I'd love to hear your thoughts. Especially since the minors and the draft are really the parts of the roster I focus on personally.

Quote:
but this is really noteworthy:

2B Reese Havens has been just devastated by injuries over his career, but the game lists him as "Durable".
So sad. I loved him coming out of South Carolina, I was thrilled when the Mets took him. He's been as big a disappointment to me as any prospect in a long time.

Mentioned this elsewhere in the thread but we have no control over this. The injury ratings are auto generated by the game. I wish it wasn't that way, but it's what we have to work with.

Thanks for your thoughts, they're much appreciated.

Let's go Mets!

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #89
jdyi87
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Post issues with major league rosters set here!

Hyun-jin Ryu, the pitcher of LA Dodgers, is not a left-handed batter but a right-handed batter.
jdyi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #90
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
Chicago Cubs

Jorge Soler has a minor league deal in-game, in reality has a 9 year 30 million dollar deal.
This has already been fixed, it'll be in the next update.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #91
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
There are 11 players in the game with salaries of $480,000. This is, of course, below the league minimum of $490,000 for this year. All players are currently on the DL for their respective teams.

TOR - Kyle Drabek
ATL - Brandon Beachy
MIA - Logan Morrison
OAK - Fernando Rodriguez
MIA - Alfredo Silverio
HOU - Alex White
ARI - Daniel Hudson
CLE - Frank Herrmann
MIL - Mat Gamel
COL - Edwar Cabrera
NYY - Cesar Cabral
We're fixing all the contracts that are wrong as we speak. These should be among them.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #92
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdyi87 View Post
Hyun-jin Ryu, the pitcher of LA Dodgers, is not a left-handed batter but a right-handed batter.
Fixed. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #93
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Felix Hernandez also has no-trade protection for the duration of the contract. He'll get it anyways in 2015, but I added a no-trade clause to him in my own game.
That's not something we can fix, the game generates no trade clauses itself. You pretty much do have to make your own edits on them, sadly

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-12-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #94
Tony79
Minors (Double A)

Boston Red Sox

MR - LHP - Andrew Miller - since being moved from a starter to a reliever his velocity has increased to around 96-98mph. So it needs to be increased.
Tony79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #95
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony79 View Post
Boston Red Sox

MR - LHP - Andrew Miller - since being moved from a starter to a reliever his velocity has increased to around 96-98mph. So it needs to be increased.
Boosted to 94-96.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #96
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Jason Heyward seems vastly overrated. For a career .275 hitter who's never hit more than 27 homers he routinely bats over .300 and hits 45+ homers(56 one season, 53 another, 49, and 48) in every sim I've run of 2013(4 today). I didn't see this in beta

Other than him, everything looks awesome stats wise.

Last edited by PhillieFever; 04-12-2013 at 10:27 PM.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #97
thisisme
Minors (Single A)

I don't know if this can be fixed, but in the History section, the WL record for the Yankees in 2012 is missing. And the attendance figures for all teams in 2009 and 2010 are missing.

Thanks for all the hard work.
thisisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #98
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillieFever View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Jason Heyward seems vastly overrated. For a career .275 hitter who's never hit more than 27 homers he routinely bats over .300 and hits 45+ homers(56 one season, 53 another, 49, and 48) in every sim I've run of 2013(4 today). I didn't see this in beta

Other than him, everything looks awesome stats wise.
Weird. His ratings don't indicate he should be that type of player.

His avoid K potential might be a bit high.

Is this happening immediately, or further along in a sim, once he's maxed his ratings out?

But nothings really changed from the beta. So I'm not quite sure what to do here. I'll keep an eye on him in my tests.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #99
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
I don't know if this can be fixed, but in the History section, the WL record for the Yankees in 2012 is missing.
I don't know if it can either. I mean, I'm sure it can but I don't know how. Looking into it.

The attendance thing is a known problem. I don't remember quite what the issue with that was but there was something. Maybe we can fix that too. We'll see.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #100
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Weird. His ratings don't indicate he should be that type of player.

His avoid K potential might be a bit high.

Is this happening immediately, or further along in a sim, once he's maxed his ratings out?

But nothings really changed from the beta. So I'm not quite sure what to do here. I'll keep an eye on him in my tests.
My tests today were limited to just 2013 which I ran 4 times. He was the only player to break the 50 homer mark in the four sims.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote