Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List

Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of OOTP! OOTPBM 2006 is in development, and there is still time left to get your suggestions into the game.

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #21
battists
Hall Of Famer

I think I've finished posting categories. If you can think of another obvious category that would generate a lot of responses, let me know!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #22
injury log
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if it would be useful to have a category encompassing some of the player-related features that aren't directly linked to performance ratings- I'm referring to player morale, player popularity, and player personality. There was a rather long discussion in General, with some very good ideas, about changes to the Popularity system, at least, so it may generate some response.

I'll put such suggestions in the 'grab bag' otherwise, unless there's an existing category where they belong?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:41 PM   #23
endgame
Hall Of Famer

battists:

How closely do the categories model existing or future-planned Beta-testing group assignments?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 AM   #24
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
battists:

How closely do the categories model existing or future-planned Beta-testing group assignments?
Moderately
Old 07-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #25
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
I think I've finished posting categories. If you can think of another obvious category that would generate a lot of responses, let me know!
Steve, I've put a couple of suggestions in regarding the database structure under grab bag. I know this is an area we're not supposed to play with directly, so should I steer clear of making these sort of suggestions?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #26
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxford View Post
Steve, I've put a couple of suggestions in regarding the database structure under grab bag. I know this is an area we're not supposed to play with directly, so should I steer clear of making these sort of suggestions?
All suggestions are welcome, even if Markus ends up ignoring them!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #27
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
All suggestions are welcome, even if Markus ends up ignoring them!
I don't want to put them in one by one because at a low-level I've got a fair few suggestions (most, if not all, would bore the pants off a general game player - for example, in most places the year/season is a UInt32 plus one byte, but in a few it's a UInt16, so I'd have a suggestion along the lines of 'make it consistent').

I don't feel like they actually are worthy of posts in the main Suggestion forum and if the underlying database structure is something that isn't up for discussion then I won't bother making the big list.

I had a similar type of suggestion mocked by one of the team for the 2007 Suggestion thread when I said that there were derivable fields being stored in some tables, basically saying that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that is one of the reasons I am loathe to spend time listing them if I get a similar response.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't want to put them in one by one because at a low-level I've got a fair few suggestions (most, if not all, would bore the pants off a general game player - for example, in most places the year/season is a UInt32 plus one byte, but in a few it's a UInt16, so I'd have a suggestion along the lines of 'make it consistent').

I don't feel like they actually are worthy of posts in the main Suggestion forum and if the underlying database structure is something that isn't up for discussion then I won't bother making the big list.

I had a similar type of suggestion mocked by one of the team for the 2007 Suggestion thread when I said that there were derivable fields being stored in some tables, basically saying that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that is one of the reasons I am loathe to spend time listing them if I get a similar response.
Well, I don't know who mocked your suggestions, but I don't go in for the whole mocking thing, so I'd like you to go ahead and make your suggestions. Of course, if you want to recommend checking the consistency of 5 fields, we don't need 5 different suggestions. Just lump them under a header of "validating consistency of blah blah".

But, that said, I would say that checking the field types would be a separate suggestion from changing some values from derived fields to something else, etc. Basically, just group your suggestions logically. I'd put these suggestions in the Tools section, for lack of a better place.

To be honest, I have no idea if the underlying database structure is "up for discussion." With any of these suggestions, I think there's a chance that Markus may say "Not enough return on the investment of my time," or possibly that some changes aren't desirable because they would change the format of league files and cause conversion headaches and such.

But please, don't let some comment someone made deter you!

Steve
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #29
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
but I don't go in for the whole mocking thing, so I'd like you to go ahead and make your suggestions.
That's ok, it wasn't you anyway Steve...

Quote:
To be honest, I have no idea if the underlying database structure is "up for discussion." With any of these suggestions, I think there's a chance that Markus may say "Not enough return on the investment of my time," or possibly that some changes aren't desirable because they would change the format of league files and cause conversion headaches and such.
Just wonder if Markus would say 'yay' or 'nay' to that whole area. I think most of my 'large-scale' database changes have been listed already (eg, merging players.dat and coaches.dat). If making changes to the structure will cause issues like the 6.5>2007 with CATO import problem then I won't make them.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #30
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just wonder if Markus would say 'yay' or 'nay' to that whole area. I think most of my 'large-scale' database changes have been listed already (eg, merging players.dat and coaches.dat). If making changes to the structure will cause issues like the 6.5>2007 with CATO import problem then I won't make them.
Well, here's a point and counterpoint:

On the one hand, there is no question that changing the underlying database generally has a wider impact on saved games and conversion than, say, adding a new filter option. As such, I'd expect such requests to meet with stiff resistance. I suspect that such changes would only go through if they offered obvious, measurable improvements and didn't cause save game or compatibility problems. If it's just "would be nice for those of us who fiddle with the back end," I suspect it's not likely to happen. The benefits need to outweigh the risk, and they also need to outweigh the time Markus would spend on it. (Value Over Replacement Feature??)

On the other hand, I can think of at least several cases last year where beta team members pestered the ever-loving heck out of Markus until he implemented some database-level changes, one of which really dramatically reduced the memory use of the program. So, it DOES happen.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #31
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
On the other hand, I can think of at least several cases last year where beta team members pestered the ever-loving heck out of Markus until he implemented some database-level changes, one of which really dramatically reduced the memory use of the program. So, it DOES happen.
And you guys have the advantage in being able to do that. Anything I find has to go in the melting pot for the next version, but I suppose it does make Markus's job easier that way...

Anyway, I've started putting them up and I'm sure Raidergoo will 'enjoy' putting them in his spreadsheet
Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #32
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Anyway, I've started putting them up and I'm sure Raidergoo will 'enjoy' putting them in his spreadsheet
Someone's gotta throw batting practice.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #33
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
Someone's gotta throw batting practice.
Only been back a day or so, and hadn't seen this.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Sounds like a euphemism for dispatching things to where they won't be seen, which sounds bad.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #34
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Sounds like a euphemism for dispatching things to where they won't be seen, which sounds bad.
Don't worry about Raidergoo. He likes throwing out these pithy one-line posts that confuse people.

Anyway, I personally guarantee that all suggestions posted on the suggestion forum will at least get seen and considered by Markus and Andreas.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #35
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Don't worry about Raidergoo. He likes throwing out these pithy one-line posts that confuse people.

Anyway, I personally guarantee that all suggestions posted on the suggestion forum will at least get seen and considered by Markus and Andreas.
I think there should be a rule that if a colloquialism is used in either American English or British English the poster should have to provide a similar one in the other language.

Some of the ones that really are odd (single words) are 'torrid' and 'momentarily'

'torrid' to you lot means hot (good) and to use means more heated (bad) - if something is described as a torrid affair it's not good, but a torrid hitting streak in baseball is good...

'momentarily' to us means 'for a moment' and to the Americans it's 'in a moment' - I remember seeing an episode of RAW :blush: and Jim Ross said that they 'would be back momentarily' which just sounds so wrong...

(at least, unlike the Aussies, you don't use thong for flip-flops... )
Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #36
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

The clock is ticking!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #37
Tony M
Global Moderator

Does the processed mean that we can't make any more suggestions?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #38
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does the processed mean that we can't make any more suggestions?
Processed means I have copy/pasted all suggestions to that point into the mast suggestion spreadsheet.

It is open for more suggestions. The thread will be closed when time is up.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #39
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Throwing batting practice is a tedious, time consuming, thankless, thing. It has to be done in order to get the hitters sufficient practice.

It may come across better as "it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it."
Old 09-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #40
adion
All Star Starter

Suggestions: Ball Parks and Sound

I think a method of exporting/import ball park data would be good. Manually entering all that data each time you start a league is tedious.

Also, adding sound like in OOTP 6.5 would be nice. It adds a new touch of realism when playing a game.
Closed Thread