Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

I wish there was a no-perfects X-total points tournament

I absolutely love the tournaments, but I wish there was a tournament type that was 1500, or 1700, or 1850 or whatever points total, but no perfects allowed. We have no-live cards, only live-cards, but a no-perfects would be even better. The difference between a 100 and a 99 isn't just 1 point. A Cy Young + A Babe Ruth, etc, are worth more than 200 points. I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I'm phrasing this right.
malichai11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:56 PM   #2
steamrollers
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malichai11 View Post
I absolutely love the tournaments, but I wish there was a tournament type that was 1500, or 1700, or 1850 or whatever points total, but no perfects allowed. We have no-live cards, only live-cards, but a no-perfects would be even better. The difference between a 100 and a 99 isn't just 1 point. A Cy Young + A Babe Ruth, etc, are worth more than 200 points. I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I'm phrasing this right.

I agree that maybe putting up some cap tourneys with a no perfect restriction would be a good idea. Wouldn't have to do away with the current cap tourneys but just add some that force people to come up with something other than their Perfect League starting rotation in a 1625 tourney would be nice. It is incredible how many times in low cap tourneys I have run into Walter Johnson and Cy Young in the same staff.
steamrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:04 AM   #3
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

There are 99s that are just as good as perfects. This accomplishes close to nothing.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

What's wrong with silver and lower, bronze and lower, etc.?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Love em! I love those tournaments and play them all the time! Trying to find marginal edges to gain any competitive advantage in those tournaments is awesome. I've pretty much abandoned my normal perfect team to focus on those lower level tournaments. And they move super fast. But I'm disabled and home all day and throw tons of time at these tournaments.

I'm not articulate enough to explain what I believe is the difference between a 100 point Cy Young who's much more than 2% more valuable than 98 Chris Sale. And maybe I'm wrong. But in a scaling system that maxes out at 100, there are 100s that are more valuable than others. And when you match up more of those, their value increases even further.

But I'm not trying to take tournaments away from anyone, just wondering if there are others that would be interested in this kind of tournament, and if there are, maybe the powers that be could add this category of tournament.
malichai11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

You are definitely right that 100 Cy Young is probably the most valuable card in a cap tournament. He is way way better than even other perfect SP.

But all you do is move the extreme value spot to 99 Keefe, Coveleski, Hoyt, etc.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:32 AM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not articulate enough to explain what I believe is the difference between a 100 point Cy Young who's much more than 2% more valuable than 98 Chris Sale. And maybe I'm wrong.
My 100 Walter Johnson just lost in a cap tourney to 95 Satchel Paige.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:32 AM   #8
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Nothing. The challenge in the game, ideally, is acting as general manager & manager for a franchise. The cap format is good on the GM realism scale...but it could be even better...

Eliminating Perfects or limiting them in a cap format might be a nice format for players who don't have Walter Johnson, Cy Young or Tom Seaver 100 & never want to see them again because they only have a slim chance at getting them in packs or through increased spending...

I get the idea...if that explained anything.

If you just don't like the idea, I get that, too.

I wonder if the cap format could be altered on some scale as well maybe in the future as just one more possibility...

Example

40s = 1
50s = 2
60s = 3
70s = 4
80s = 5
90s = 6
100s = 7

This would, for the particular format, make diamonds 3x as expensive as bronzes.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:52 AM   #9
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

There's some issues with being able to run like this, so it won't make it into 20. But please do feel free to keep the suggestions rolling - we love to hear ideas for what you want, and do agree there are many more cool formats out there.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:01 AM   #10
Barmy Fungy-Phipps
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I think the idea of scaling value for a point cap is an interesting idea. A flat ramp up in cost doesn't really capture the relative value either, and it is true that once one group is excluded, people will eventually find another set of cards that offer them an advantage.

It would be interesting if there was a way to create a dynamic formula that automatically updates point values for cards based off of the data. Above a certain percentage of usage in the tournaments bumps the cost up, and that sort of thing.
Barmy Fungy-Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:07 AM   #11
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I know we're talking about tournaments, but I can't help but feel that we're actually having a discussion on the game's assignment of overall ratings.

It is a valid point that some 100's are true 100's while other 100's are true 101's, 102's, or even higher. An example of this is the trio of Bellingers, with his Live, All Star, and POTM cards all being 100 but some being better than others.

However, a player still has to identify which is the true highest rated version of Bellinger. This value assessment is fundamentally the same as trying to determine the true value of other cards (an example in the form of a hot take: high rated defense at SS causes cards to be vastly overrated. I'm looking at you, George Davis! Stop trying to hide, Dick Bartell! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmy Fungy-Phipps View Post
I think the idea of scaling value for a point cap is an interesting idea. A flat ramp up in cost doesn't really capture the relative value either, and it is true that once one group is excluded, people will eventually find another set of cards that offer them an advantage.

It would be interesting if there was a way to create a dynamic formula that automatically updates point values for cards based off of the data. Above a certain percentage of usage in the tournaments bumps the cost up, and that sort of thing.
That is a fascinating idea that would make for a wonderfully dynamic tournament setting. It also sounds like it would be dang near impossible to code and even harder to explain to players looking to join it.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:29 AM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I wish there was a tournament with no left-handed batters, no players named Dick, and foremost: no adept fielders at short allowed - only guys with frying pans for gloves may play shortstop.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #13
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
You are definitely right that 100 Cy Young is probably the most valuable card in a cap tournament. He is way way better than even other perfect SP.
That brand new spanking Peak Pedro is even better

On topic though, a capped tournament which also has a card cap (eg. no perfects) is not possible in the system at the moment, sorry.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #14
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:

Why the heck now all of a sudden rating are a issue? I have no problem leaving it as it is. Right now I can pretty much find & participate IN any tournament I wanna join. Don't have enough lower rated cards whales? Go buy some like I was told to do when facing whales all the time in same level year after year. Somebody will always dig & dig to find a way to screw the tournament play up
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I wish there was a tournament with no left-handed batters, no players named Dick, and foremost: no adept fielders at short allowed - only guys with frying pans for gloves may play shortstop.
I love players having to play their position on card in tournaments. 100 Cal Ripken, Jr at 2nd base on some teams I played were GODS. I go to baseball-reference & check on a given player if at any time in his career did he play a position I want to train him at. If not I don't train him. It's just a house rule I use
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #16
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
Why the heck now all of a sudden rating are a issue?
Because with cap tournaments existing this is the first time that the rating matters for something more than the quick-sell value...
Old 11-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #17
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

On the other hand, Josh Fogg (40 OVR) defeated Cy Young (100 OVR) in the first TWIPT tournament & Cy Young is not (nor any pitcher) an automatic win. Plus there are lower cap tournaments...if another team has two aces out of your "league" in those then you should at least be able to put a better or as good rest of the pitching staff and lineup together.

You have to compete sometimes. It is a competitive game. This means you lose some game to great pitcher but keep competing.

One thing about silver and lower or gold and lower (or bronze & lower), though, is you can't field the diamonds/perfects/golds you have. (Not even 1, or 2/3)

In other words the restrictions are looser in cap tournaments but some teams run into this problem of facing aces...Aces are kind of special.

Well keep competing...the cap restriction is the same for both teams & there are many quick tournaments.
You may even an invest in an ace.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 11-21-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #18
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
These leagues are increasing popular. Bronze player demands have increased. This allows teams to create additional teams to compete within tournaments without tanking.

However, based on the initial request by the creator of this post, a diamond and below would be ideal. However, there are NO quick Diamond and there are generally just 2 diamond or lower offerings. Diamond or Below only eliminates perfects as requested. Is there a reason why this is not utilized? Is it not popular?

Will there be caps as high as an 80 average?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #19
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
That brand new spanking Peak Pedro is even better

On topic though, a capped tournament which also has a card cap (eg. no perfects) is not possible in the system at the moment, sorry.
Is it possible to have no All time Legend cards?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Will there be a future tournament with state-mandated cards?