Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 22 > OOTP 22 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 22 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2021 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:12 PM   #381
sharknut
All Star Reserve

When playing a game live, give the option of "go for strikeout" if you are a pitcher or "go for a home run" if you are a hitter.

If you have a player on 3rd and less than 2 outs, you should be able to try to strikeout the batter while allowing the batter to increase the chance of a hit because the pitcher is throwing strikes.

And if you are down 4-3 in the ninth, you should be able to have a hitter try for a home run with the trade off of being easier to strike out.

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #382
RoxFan22
Bat Boy

This might be kinda long but it's a bunch of much needed overhauls and changes

Firstly the ability to set a limit on how players an organization can have and the ability to set a limit on how many pitchers and hitters a minor league roster can have on it

Once you get past a few years in a save the AI starts to hoard players to the point that setting roster limits at each level does nothing and teams will fill rosters to the limit and then have 75 to 80 players at other levels if there is not a limit set. Also they'll keep moving players up levels because the game doesn't want to release them like having 19yo at double a. Also once this happens rosters become like 85% pitchers and 15% hitters.

Secondly I'd like to see better handling of the international complex and the ability to change what age players are automatically promoted from the international complex plus someway to auto promote players if a team has to many.

I set service time limits for my minor league levels but there's never enough players to fill the lower level rosters (mainly DSL) because the AI will only promote a few complex players each season and then leave those players at that level until they reach the service time limit which leads to a release and having free agency filled with unsignable players

But this is my big one.

Fix the Waiver Wire and how the AI handles the 40man.

Every off season teams will sign players to multi million dollar contracts and then waive them/release them not even a week later, I've seen it happen to some players 2 or 3 times.

This happens because the AI roster always has a full 40 man and never has an open slot, the rule 5 draft is also pointless because the ai never selects players...

OOTP 22 and is a really good game but it'd be nice to play 23 and not have to micro manage the AI because they can't figure out how to manage a roster.
RoxFan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:32 AM   #383
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxFan22 View Post

But this is my big one.

Fix the Waiver Wire and how the AI handles the 40man.

Every off season teams will sign players to multi million dollar contracts and then waive them/release them not even a week later, I've seen it happen to some players 2 or 3 times.

This happens because the AI roster always has a full 40 man and never has an open slot, the rule 5 draft is also pointless because the ai never selects players...

OOTP 22 and is a really good game but it'd be nice to play 23 and not have to micro manage the AI because they can't figure out how to manage a roster.
Most AI teams have open slots on the 40 man and definitely makes selections in my rule 5 draft. Been that way for many versions for me.
Not sure what is different in our setups? My league is a normal MLB, MiLB, with OOTP created draft classes. It was started in v4 and imported to every version since.

In my last rule 5 draft 29 players were selected. All by AI teams.

As I approach the July 31 trade deadline 10 teams have a full 40 man. Not surprising to me during the season as I think injuries force the issue when the AI has to bring someone up to replace an injured player.

I have no way to check but I would bet it was a lot less at rule 5 time and will be again for the next.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:06 PM   #384
Faaip De Oiad
Minors (Triple A)

Might be a bit late but under player strategy for pitchers could we get a choice where to lock a player in the rotation. I like to sign vets for the 5th starter role and would like to be able to lock them into that role. If we can lock position players into batting order and position, we should have the same for pitchers.
Faaip De Oiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:57 PM   #385
Bajecco
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I mostly play historic leagues starting in the 70's. I've noticed a glitch in these league where the player ages in the Amateur Draft are way too high. High School players are often 19-21 years old leading to College players being 24-26 years old. I've witnessed drafts with 200+ players being 24 or older which is ridiculous.

I've reported this here in the past but as far as I know it's never been fixed. I can confirm it is still happening.

Suggestion for 23: Have an age limit setting for the Amateur Draft.

Financials for AI need to be overhauled. Babysitting the AI as almost every team goes $20+ million in debt get's old.

Could we get some selectable formats for League and Division set up? For example it would be great if during league set up I had an option to eliminate divisions and just go old school AL & NL from jump.
Bajecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:15 PM   #386
the_mad_monk
Major Leagues

Fix Andrew McCutchen's in-game avatar skin color. He's been a bit pale since at least OOTP 2019.
the_mad_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #387
EdReedFan20
Bat Boy

I would love to see a more expanded franchise page. Basically just copy the Franchise Pages from Baseball Reference. Include who the manager(s) was/were in any given season. Who the top player for the team was, etc. It'd be fun to look back at all that history.

Also, I think managers and executives should be able to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, like in real life.

Finally, if a manager would win manager of the year, but retires before the awards are given, he is not eligible for the award. That's unfortunate. I think there should be a way for the manager to still win the award. Maybe have the news story mention he recently retired or something. Same goes for players who win awards, but retire before the ceremony.

Edit- Another nice little thing would be on a team's page where you see retired numbers, maybe have some indicator if that player also made the HOF. Maybe add gold or something to their number?

Last edited by EdReedFan20; 03-07-2022 at 11:31 PM.
EdReedFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:09 AM   #388
Bobfather
All Star Starter

When negotiating a contract or extension a final offer button.

Do not hurt where holding is enough,
Do Not wound where hurting is enough
Do not maim where wounding is enough,
and kill not where maiming is enough
The greatest warrior is he who does not need to kill.
-Berek Halfhand
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:01 AM   #389
cyrusb
Minors (Double A)

Please add some sort of mechanism for online leagues to (a) record any changes made by the commissioner in edit screens for players/teams or (b) restrict the ability to make changes to players/teams

Commissioners of online leagues work hard to create great gameplay experiences for the OOTP community! We deserve some support for a long-requested feature to help assure members of our leagues that any good or bad luck is just that -- luck!
cyrusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:35 PM   #390
tm1681
All Star Reserve

This would be a coding thing, but...

Split the "injury frequency" columns in the injuries.txt files so that injuries can have different frequencies for pitchers and position players. I know that can be controlled somewhat with Arm Injury attributes for players, but I still see position players get hit with torn labrums and other common pitcher injuries too often.
tm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #391
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1681 View Post
This would be a coding thing, but...

Split the "injury frequency" columns in the injuries.txt files so that injuries can have different frequencies for pitchers and position players. I know that can be controlled somewhat with Arm Injury attributes for players, but I still see position players get hit with torn labrums and other common pitcher injuries too often.
I appreciate the idea behind it - theoretically, a third baseman throwing to first ought to be prone to the same kinds of injury as a pitcher throwing to the plate - but I think it fails largely because the game's smallest sequence is the at-bat, not the individual pitch, and as such (I think) a pitcher's injury chances get checked, say, 30 times a game (once for each batter faced, plus a couple more for plays the pitcher was a part of in the field) as opposed to 90-100 times. I'm sure there are multipliers built on pitchers and everyone gets adjusted based on fatigue, but it still has flaws. The reason you don't see many 3rd basemen go down with torn rotator cuffs is that they make that throw like 5 times a game if they're really busy whereas even a 1-inning reliever makes that throw 15 times a game or more.

I feel like slicing the injury.txt file up further into "pitcher throws" and "hitter throws" feels like it's going to require a lot of duplication (or at least extra fields) but I don't know, maybe that's easier than what I'm talking about above...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:57 AM   #392
JerryShoe
Minors (Double A)

Might Be Duplication Suggestions

I like the OOTP idea of designating specific injuries, but can the list be alphabetized, similar injuries combined (fractures are breaks), common injuries added and maybe peculiar ones (certain illnesses) eliminated?
I think I read this elsewhere, but I'd like to export reports to Excel.
I'm not sure if this is a problem or I just missed opportunities, but I was never able to pinch hit for a pinch-hitter. That is, a right-handed hitter who I brought in to face a southpaw had to remain in the game after the other team changed pitchers to a righty. Thanks!
JerryShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #393
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I appreciate the idea behind it - theoretically, a third baseman throwing to first ought to be prone to the same kinds of injury as a pitcher throwing to the plate - but I think it fails largely because the game's smallest sequence is the at-bat, not the individual pitch, and as such (I think) a pitcher's injury chances get checked, say, 30 times a game (once for each batter faced, plus a couple more for plays the pitcher was a part of in the field) as opposed to 90-100 times. I'm sure there are multipliers built on pitchers and everyone gets adjusted based on fatigue, but it still has flaws. The reason you don't see many 3rd basemen go down with torn rotator cuffs is that they make that throw like 5 times a game if they're really busy whereas even a 1-inning reliever makes that throw 15 times a game or more.

I feel like slicing the injury.txt file up further into "pitcher throws" and "hitter throws" feels like it's going to require a lot of duplication (or at least extra fields) but I don't know, maybe that's easier than what I'm talking about above...
Just to respond to this myself, I’ve been reading the old Scouting Report books produced by Brooks Robinson in the 80s and Gorman Thomas, the former center fielder turned DH for the Mariners, moved to that position because he tore his rotator cuff. That’s one of the most “pitcher” injuries there is, to be sure, and while non pitchers definitely do get throwing injuries, I think it affects them differently. For a pitcher that surgery requires they miss a year and OOTP does model that possible loss of ability from long term injuries fairly well IME. For a player, yeah, it can be devastating, but it’s more of a thing that at worst kills their arm and forces them out of positions that require that (in Thomas’ case he had stated that he wanted to return to the OF but the Mariners at the time had younger guys like Phil Bradley and Ivan Calderon in the corners and figured they’d field better). In Thomas’ case you could make a case that it also affected his contact - the report on him said he might have more of a loop to his swing after the injury, and it’s true that he didn’t hit for average at all after 1984. If a catcher or a third baseman suffers an injury like that, they’d better hit well enough to play a different position or else their career is over.

There are also several other OFers, I should note, where the report says they’ve lost arm strength due to some major injury or other (Don Baylor is one name I remember, I think Dan Ford was another). What I’m saying isn’t that fielders shouldn’t get torn rotator cuffs or torn labrums or what have you, I’m saying it should impact them differently.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 03-17-2022, 01:38 PM   #394
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryShoe View Post
I like the OOTP idea of designating specific injuries, but can the list be alphabetized, similar injuries combined (fractures are breaks), common injuries added and maybe peculiar ones (certain illnesses) eliminated?
I think I read this elsewhere, but I'd like to export reports to Excel.
I'm not sure if this is a problem or I just missed opportunities, but I was never able to pinch hit for a pinch-hitter. That is, a right-handed hitter who I brought in to face a southpaw had to remain in the game after the other team changed pitchers to a righty. Thanks!
To your second point, you can export the base stuff to a database like MySQL and then compile reports for that. I realize that more people probably have experience with Excel than with RDBs but TBH spreadsheets are really, really bad at constructing data like that (once you have it all together, sure, they can be very useful). I think you can also export all that to CSV, which is a format that any spreadsheet can read, so there is that at least.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:29 PM   #395
texasmame
All Star Starter

Can we get a three year aggregate?
We have options to see a player's stats for each year, their career, two years ago and last year.

I think a "last three year aggregate" would be helpful as well or, better still, the option to display any three user-selected years as an aggregate.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 03:02 AM   #396
Canary85
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'd love to make it so that an international league can sign players from a specific region rather than specific team nationality and/or specific league nationality. I have regional leagues in a custom league and it's a drag to deal with this tbh.
Canary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #397
akt66
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Rule 5

The game doesn't handle the Rule 5 draft very well, it would be nice if it followed the MLB system better - a fee for selecting a player, a fee to be returned, the original team having the ability to decline taking a player back, etc.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/rule-5-draft
akt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #398
fuzzy_patters
All Star Starter

This is a little thing, but the option to have game summaries for the whole league in your email, or from your whole organization, or both.
fuzzy_patters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #399
akt66
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Better Substitutions in Spring Training

I would like to have my bench coach use better logic with substitutions in Spring Training games. More specifically - if I don't start my regular positional player, I want him to have the whole day off. My bench coach often brings in normal starters that didn't start that day in the 4th or 5th inning. In real baseball you wouldn't see a manager bring a star outfielder into the 5th inning of a Spring game to play the rest of the game. (happens even early in Spring when I have 60 players on the roster so there are plenty of other players to choose from)
Old 05-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #400
akt66
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Player of the week always goes to hitters. Pitchers should be considered also, especially a 2 starting pitcher that pitches great in both games.