Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #141
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambill10 View Post
Ryan Franklin should be the closer, although Motte got the chance on Opening Day. Franklin has closed ever since. Franklin has 66 Stuff due to 5 pitches all being either 42(3) or 57(2). He should also have about 10 more strike outs projected based on Fangraphs projections. The last year of his contract should be a club option.
Also according to Fangraphs, Franklin picked up a cutter this season. It's now his second most used pitch (26.5% thrown as of this writing). Given that his slider and sinker are now his fifth and sixth most used pitches, they probably shouldn't be rated as highly. Also, one of his fastballs is a splitter, though he apparently hasn't been throwing that this year.

Geez. Forget closing. Prop him up and put him in the rotation, Cards.
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #142
KySteveH
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbyFan23 View Post
No one has typo'ed any lines to the best of my knowledge. Also, I believe it won't really mess anything up. The guys who have 1s as ratings will be assigned to the rookie leagues. I suppose it may throw off rookie league totals? That's not something in the front of my mind that I'm concerned about really though. Most of the guys (if not all) that have these ratings are guys with literally 0 shot of making it to the majors.

Also, I believe those guys were mostly in short-season/rookie ball in 2008 which means we have no way to convert their stats into ratings. I'm thinking you're left with option one unless we can figure a way to mass edit them to suck, but just not suck so bad.
I truly appreciate the response. What I have found just looking at the Reds org is that there are 27 players above Rookie level that have the "1" ratings. I am going to sim some years, and see what happens. I guess what you're saying is that even if they are AAA or A players, they will quickly be dumped into the rookie league, and it won't matter. I guess I can live with that, but it still seems kinda weird to see a legitimate hitting prospect with no gap rating. I guess we'll see what happens to him.

Please understand, I have yet to find a player that I could really argue with in the set as far as ratings. Some excellent work went into rating these guys. The only thing that jumps out, really, are the ones who are not rated at all. Perhaps I'll just go through them an assigned random numbers, and see how that works out.

Again, thanks for the response, and all the work.
KySteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #143
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Steve - those ratings are an artifact of the creation process. Every minor league player's biographical details were added to the database (i.e. name, biometric data, etc), but not all were completely rated. Clearly some were given ratings by an algorithm I'm guessing Markus devised to make sure they were non-prospects. We can surely improve that ratings algorithm to avoid the odd Gap Potentials and Control Potentials (though it's useful to be able to find these guys easily, which may be why these odd ratings are present), and we can fix up as many guys as we have time for before the first patch, but as I said above, giving guys proper ratings is very time consuming, which is why there are still a few guys with 'generic' ratings lurking around. Those 'generic' guys should almost all be minor league filler types - we got all 900 prospects from the BA handbook into the game, for example. Of course, like you, I want a set that has every player rated properly, but realistically speaking, given all of our time constraints, there will need to be some 'generic' guys even when the next patch comes out - we'll just try to make those 'generic' guys more plausible looking players.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #144
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsk1988 View Post

One other point, I know its Opening day rosters, but Nick Adenhart unfortunately died this year, and it kinds of bugs me he's still a player on the game, although his stats are accurately represented, just my point of view, willing to listen to others who don't share my view.
When Nick died, we had a discussion on how to handle the issue for the roster set. It was decided since this set was set to Opening Day that he would be fully rated as projected and a member of the Angels. This respects the fact that he made the team, and made a start. This also allowed people who felt that he should be immediately retired, or assigned a CEI, to do so in the manner that they chose to.

Adenhart's death was tough. I hope we honored him appropriately.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #145
KySteveH
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Steve - those ratings are an artifact of the creation process. Every minor league player's biographical details were added to the database (i.e. name, biometric data, etc), but not all were completely rated. Clearly some were given ratings by an algorithm I'm guessing Markus devised to make sure they were non-prospects. We can surely improve that ratings algorithm to avoid the odd Gap Potentials and Control Potentials (though it's useful to be able to find these guys easily, which may be why these odd ratings are present), and we can fix up as many guys as we have time for before the first patch, but as I said above, giving guys proper ratings is very time consuming, which is why there are still a few guys with 'generic' ratings lurking around. Those 'generic' guys should almost all be minor league filler types - we got all 900 prospects from the BA handbook into the game, for example. Of course, like you, I want a set that has every player rated properly, but realistically speaking, given all of our time constraints, there will need to be some 'generic' guys even when the next patch comes out - we'll just try to make those 'generic' guys more plausible looking players.
I think that's what I had in mind...just to be able to make the generic guys look more plausible...that's a great way to say it.

One minor point, I keep seeing people say "gap pot" and "control pot" as the only ratings that have the "1" ratings. There are actually those odd ratings on several attributes across the board, including speed and SB, and also the other pitching attributes, not just potential. No biggie, just pointing it out for anyone that might be looking to improve the process.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #146
benjamindm
Bat Boy

Denard Span of the Twins should have a rating higher than "1" out of 100 for left field. He splits time between there and center.
benjamindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:32 AM   #147
blalock84
Minors (Single A)

Simulating through a full season provides some absolutely terrible numbers looking at some of the high minors SPers, some really, really bad numbers even by the better prospects in the game here's a quick look at some of the Rangers that get shelled:

Derek Holland: 7.16 ERA, 93Ks/84 BBs, 33 HRs in 143 IP...
Neftali Feliz: 6.64 ERA, 76Ks/76 BBs, 13 HRs in 112 IP...
Guilermo Moscoso gave up 33 HRs in only 92 IP, there is something seriously wrong with that.

Thats just some of it, i could probably dig through and find some uglier lines, but those three guys all dominated the Minor Leagues last year and OOTP just had them getting hammered this year in AAA. Anyways, I was wondering if this is just something wrong with the way the minor league pitchers were rated or somethng else?
blalock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #148
Jay Elias
Minors (Double A)

Bad results over the course of one sim don't mean anything is wrong with the set. The game is set to have a certain number of players randomly improve, and a certain number of players randomly worsen, every season. This is to replicate the way some players come out of nowhere, like Mike Piazza, to become Hall of Famers, while lots of top prospects in fact don't pan out.

If you had simulated the 2009 season ten times, and every time Neftaili Feliz was a bust, there would be something wrong with the set. One time is just random chance giving him a bad future.
Jay Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #149
KySteveH
Minors (Triple A)

I have done a few sims with theis set, and the overall numbers from the majors are pretty good. Some tweaks need to be made here and there, but nothing too major.

The high minors are not bad either, definitely hitting dominates pitching, but you can still get some sense of how your players are doing.

The low minors are terribly pitching-poor. Average ERA's for the league are over 7, sometimes 8.

Great news is that you should be able to compensate for this using all the league setup modifiers. Every year, I spend way too much time simming and tweaking these, but eventually you can make them work. Hopefully, that will work again this year.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #150
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KySteveH View Post
I have done a few sims with theis set, and the overall numbers from the majors are pretty good. Some tweaks need to be made here and there, but nothing too major.

The high minors are not bad either, definitely hitting dominates pitching, but you can still get some sense of how your players are doing.

The low minors are terribly pitching-poor. Average ERA's for the league are over 7, sometimes 8.

Great news is that you should be able to compensate for this using all the league setup modifiers. Every year, I spend way too much time simming and tweaking these, but eventually you can make them work. Hopefully, that will work again this year.
To help this out tremendously,I went to baseball reference,and took all of last year's league totals and inputted them into each league's league totals sections.After one test,things looked much better than they did without them.Here's a sample:

New York-Pennsylvania league

AB-35225
H-8884
2B-1758
3B-292
HR-547
BB-3424
HBP-533
SO-8709
BABIP-.321

Northwest League
AB-20532
H-5238
2B-1076
3B-162
HR-325
BB-2467
HBP-408
SO-4838
BABIP-.320

Appalachian League
AB-22227
H-5813
2B-1098
3B-189
HR-439
BB-1964
HBP-432
SO-5540
BABIP-.331

Arizona League
AB-16865
H-4457
2B-829
3B-238
HR-194
BB-1846
HBP-333
SO-4023
BABIP-.337

Gulf Coast League
AB-28607
H-7251
2B-1392
3B-236
HR-354
BB-2823
HBP-644
SO-6523
BABIP-.317

Pioneer League
AB-21017
H-5762
2B-1247
3B-239
HR-508
BB-2100
HBP-362
SO-5158
BABIP-.342
Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #151
KySteveH
Minors (Triple A)

Weird...just looking at one stat, BABIP, mine are all set at default, so .296. By boosting the number higher, you are saying that you actually made hittind domainance go down? That doesn't make sense, but then again, many things do not.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #152
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KySteveH View Post
Weird...just looking at one stat, BABIP, mine are all set at default, so .296. By boosting the number higher, you are saying that you actually made hittind domainance go down? That doesn't make sense, but then again, many things do not.
The Babip is the actual babip of the league,you can figure that by this: H-HR/AB-SO+HR
Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #153
CubbyFan23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalock84 View Post
Simulating through a full season provides some absolutely terrible numbers looking at some of the high minors SPers, some really, really bad numbers even by the better prospects in the game here's a quick look at some of the Rangers that get shelled:

Derek Holland: 7.16 ERA, 93Ks/84 BBs, 33 HRs in 143 IP...
Neftali Feliz: 6.64 ERA, 76Ks/76 BBs, 13 HRs in 112 IP...
Guilermo Moscoso gave up 33 HRs in only 92 IP, there is something seriously wrong with that.

Thats just some of it, i could probably dig through and find some uglier lines, but those three guys all dominated the Minor Leagues last year and OOTP just had them getting hammered this year in AAA. Anyways, I was wondering if this is just something wrong with the way the minor league pitchers were rated or somethng else?
Ratings are fine, I think its just a case of needing to tweak the league totals.
CubbyFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #154
JoeGoNets
Minors (Single A)

Sorry if this is a "noob" question, but if the ratings are patched, will the revised ratings be usable in an existing league or would one have to start fresh to make use of them.
JoeGoNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #155
benjamindm
Bat Boy

The following Twins players have options in the last years of their contracts:

Joe Nathan
Michael Cuddyer
Nick Punto
Jason Kubel
Scott Baker

Cot's Baseball Contracts: Minnesota Twins

Note that the monetary values for the players in OOTP are correct.
benjamindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #156
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGoNets View Post
Sorry if this is a "noob" question, but if the ratings are patched, will the revised ratings be usable in an existing league or would one have to start fresh to make use of them.

Start fresh.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #157
ambill10
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
Start fresh.
Which is why I am waiting anxiously for the release of the roster update to start my first OOTPX league that I will actually continue with.

I have had a lot of luck playing with the league totals too. It seems like home runs were a little to prevalent in the minors in my sims, so tonight I'm going to see what happens if I even further deflate the home run entries from real life and sim it.
ambill10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #158
southside_hitmen
Minors (Triple A)

Seattle Mariners Prospect Edits

Phillipe Aumont - SP
Need to add a Sinker to his pitch rep. Should be his best pitch. From BP, " Aumont's best pitch is a low-90s sinker that touches 95 and has explosive late life, with one scout calling it a major league-ready offering right now". From BA, "He already throws 90-95 with plus-plus sink and boring action, and he may be able to throw even harder as he matures physically."

Still keep his 4-seamer though. From BA, "If batters sit on his sinker, he can blow a high 90's 4-seam fastball by them". Also as it stands in the roster right now, his changeup's potential is lower than its current rating. he should at least have some room for growth here, as it will go a long way to determining whether he is a starter or reliever in the future.

Juan Ramirez - SP
His fastball should be far and away his best pitch. His slider should rank 2nd and his change-up a distant 3rd. His change-ups potential is way too high in the roster right now at 30 points higher than his other pitches, and I think the current rating should be dropped as well.

From BP, "Ramirez has a nearly perfect power-pitching frame and mechanics, and he effortlessly throws 92-94 mph fastballs that can touch 96. His heater features good late life, and he locates the pitch extremely well for being so inexperienced. He flashes a good slider, and he was at his best toward the end of the season. Ramirez' secondary pitches lag well behind his power stuff; he gets around on his slider and flattens it out often, and his changeup is rather rudimentary. The latter is of most concern, as he could use another weapon against left-handers." From BA, "Like most young flamethrowers, Ramirez lacks a feel for his change-up because he's accustomed to blowing the ball past batters. He struggles to stay on top of his secondary pitches on a consistent basis."

Again fastball should be best, slider 2nd with good potential, and change below average with not near as high potential as it currently is.

Carlos Triunfel - 2B
Primary position should be at short, but he should also have a rating at 3rd base (he played there in the Arizona Fall League) as well as 2nd base. From BA, "Triunfel played 2nd, 3rd, and short in the Arizona Fall League, and the Mariners will keep his options open" and "he has solid first-step quickness and reactions at third base, his likely position in the future."

Mario Martinez - 1B
His primary position should be 3rd, followed by shortstop, then 1st. He has played 111 games at 3rd, 33 at short, and 12 at first in his minor league career. He was signed out of Venezeula as a shortstop. His experience should reflect those #'s. Now, he has played 11 games at 1st this year, but played 30 at third, so I suppose you could make 1st his 2nd position, but not his primary. His primary should be 3rd.
southside_hitmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 AM   #159
southside_hitmen
Minors (Triple A)

Oakland A's Prospect Edits

Michael Inoa - SP
As stated earlier in the thread his name should be Ynoa. Form BP, "He was Michel (pronounced MEE-shell) Inoa when he signed, but he has since added an "a" to his first name and is now going by the more anglicized pronunciation while also correcting the past misspelling of his surname."

After reveiwing numerous scouting reports on Inoa, I find no mention of him throwing a slider. I do find mention of him throwing a splitter however. From BA, "He also flashed a splitter". I also found mention of it in the scoutign reports below. Again, nothing on the slider though.

His fastball is first for sure, followed closely by his curve. His change and Splitter should be 3rd and 4th. Here are the scouting reports that I used along with BP and BA.
Scouting Report: Michel Inoa | SaberScouting
Inoa, 16, at head of Latin American prospect class - MLB - ESPN
BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: International Affairs: A's Take Lead In Inoa Sweepstakes

Trevor Cahill - SP
I think you need to up his velocity. Ba has him sitting at 88-92 with his two seamer and 94 with his 4-seam fastball, while BP has him in the low 90's and hitting 95. Right now in the roster he is at 87-89 velocity, I think he should be in the 92-94 or 93-95 range to balance out the velocity on his sinker and give him a proper top end on his 4-seamer. His knuckle curve rates as a plus-plus pitch by BP and "nasty" by BA. Should be clearly a better pitch than his change and slider. BA says, "he has another tough breaking ball in a low-80's slider with cutter like action at times". Finally, "Cahill's changeup should becoem an average pitch, but he'll need to throw it more against higher-caliber competition."

Right now all his pitches are rated at 152 in both current and potential. there needs to be a definite delineation amongst his pitches. His Sinker is his best, followed closely by his knuckle curve, his slider would be next, with his change-up last. As BA states, his change-up isn't fully developed yet and should grow into an AVERAGE pitch, I would at max put it's potential at 120, with a current rating in the mid 90s.

Brett Anderson - SP
Also throws a sinker. BA says it sits at 88-92 with the sinker and 94 with the 4-seamer. BP has it at 88-91 and the 4-seamer topping out at 95. I would put it at the same level that you end up putting Cahill's. Like Cahill he is also primarily a sinkerballer, so it should be rated highly. Also, I would flip the ratings on his curveball and slider, as his curve is supposed to be a bit better.

Chris Carter - 1B
I'm guessing you grabbed the wrong position data off of minor league splits.com. The stats on that site are for chris carter of the red sox, and show him at 1B and LF as you have in the roster. In actuality, the A's Carter, has played 1st, 3rd, and RF. That being said he is below average at all of those positions. If I had to choose a position I would put him at 1b as his primary. He does have a strong arm, but his defensive deficiencies come in his range and fielding. I would boost his arm but drop his range and error. His power potential is off the charts, and that is reflected accurately in the roster.

Gio Gonzalez - SP
His curveball is far-and-away his best pitch. From BP, "Gonzalez has average-to-plus velocity and can touch 94 mph, but he uses the fastball primarily to set up a plus-plus curveball that's among the best in the system due to its considerable break and a bit of horizontal movement." From BA "His best pitch is a 75-78mph curveball with sharp break and two-plane depth". On the other hand, his change-up is his worst pitch although BP says it is "improving". I would just flip his pitches around so that the curve is best, fastball 2nd, and change 3rd. So curve in the 160-180's, fastball maybe in the 100-130 range, and change in the 70-80 range with a potential in the low 100's.

Vincent Mazzaro - SP
He pitches off of his fastball. His fastball/sinker/cutter should be higher rated than his slider and change. He also throws a curve, but it is more of a show-me pitch. So his ratings should go FB/SNK/CUT, slider, change, curve. His curve should probably be in the 50's, change-up 60-70, slider-80's, and his fastball/sinker/cutter should be much higher. Some scouts rate his sinker even above Cahill and Andersons, so make sure it is at least close to theirs.
southside_hitmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #160
ambill10
Minors (Single A)

Is there any timetable for a roster update being released? Thanks to all those who volunteered their time to make these rosters because overall they are very good, possibly the best release rosters I've ever seen on a baseball game!
ambill10 is offline   Reply With Quote