Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 02-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Crash crash crash

Why must this game crash after almost every single game just as the game finishes and is about to create the boxscore?

Brand new laptop, same thing happened on my old CPU too.

It sucks because OOTP6 records the game, can't replay it, but NONE of the stats count not even the win or loss. The only thing that is counted is Game/Game Started/Appearances etc things that happen just as the game starts.

I am running on XP Home Edition.

This is sooooooooooooo frustrating because I love this game but am so sick of having to go back to my saved file (yes, it happens enough that I have everything zipped after each and every game).

Please help. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Do you have IN GAME sound ON? If so, if you disable it the crashes will stop.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Ok, so that's it? I looked through the notice and it seems to have something to do with the sound like you said. That sucks though, the sounds feel so good!

Sorry for venting, I was just frustrated earlier. Could be worse.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
franco74
Minors (Double A)

why would the sounds cause a crash...is this something with the nwest version - 6.11 ????????
franco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco74
why would the sounds cause a crash...is this something with the nwest version - 6.11 ????????
Combination of audio drivers and DirectX version. Not all audio circuitry/drivers are compatible with the latest DirectX version.

There are three(3) variables that must be compatible for the sounds to work...

1. Audio circuitry that supports DirectX 9
2. Audio drivers that support DirectX 9
3. DirectX 9

If you have 1 & 3 but not 2 - no workie
If you have 1 & 2 but not 3 - no workie
If you have 2 & 3 but not 1 - no workie

The best you can do is make sure you have DirectX 9 and the latest audio drivers for your sound card. If that doesn't work, then either the audio circuitry does not support DirectX 9 (older machines) or the drivers do not (drivers not yet upgraded). In some cases, the vendor will claim compatability, but it really isn't. Vendors usually quit updating drivers once the audio circuitry (card) is no longer on the market.

Oh. One other thing... just because you have a new machine, don't assume you have the latest drivers. It's very likely you don't. Check with the website for your audio card to see if there is a newer version.

Last edited by BigCity; 02-15-2005 at 08:52 PM.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

I also believe that XP SP-2 plays a role in the crashes.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

This type of crash has happened to me a handful of times so I was wondering what else causes it? (Sounds work fine for me)

This is probably the most annoying ootp crash because of the circumstances. The game gets played, there is an outcome, however none of the stats are recorded, neither is pitching fatigue and there is no boxscore.

We did a live sim of a game 7 in the WHBL and unfortunately once the game finished ootp crashed, so none of the stats were recorded and there was no box score. To add salt to the wound, the game was a classic.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
crazyhorsejohnny
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuffrey
For sure. When it came out I updated. Then OOTP kept crashing. So I uninstalled it and no problems ever since.
crazyhorsejohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Agreed. That's why I'm still running Windows 2000

Kutulu, there was a time my previous machine was also having sound problems. It was an easy decision for me to turn off sounds to maintain system stability. When I got my new machine, I tried a number of tests and it worked fine - so now I have sounds as well when I want it
Old 02-15-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
Maximus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Do you have IN GAME sound ON? If so, if you disable it the crashes will stop.
I can not believe this not been fixed yet. How many people have complained of this?
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #11
Maximus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny
For sure. When it came out I updated. Then OOTP kept crashing. So I uninstalled it and no problems ever since.
No, its not SP-2. It is a direct X issue.

I tested this several times with SP-2 and SP-1. Both tests revealed crashes when anything above directx 9.0 was installed. This is not an SP-2 issue.

Personally, I do not think Markus created OOTP6 with an updated developers DirectX SDK.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #12
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus
I can not believe this not been fixed yet. How many people have complained of this?
All I can tell you and anyone is that Markus knows of the problem, from what he has told me he has looked into it and as of yet has not corrected the problem. Sorry, but that is all the info I have on the subject and sorry it isn't better news.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #13
Maximus
Major Leagues

Quote:
All I can tell you and anyone is that Markus knows of the problem, from what he has told me he has looked into it and as of yet has not corrected the problem. Sorry, but that is all the info I have on the subject and sorry it isn't better news.
I understand Steve. This doesn't make me like OOTP less or anything like that. I still love the game but this problem has been around for a long time now, thats whats frustrating to us the end user. I truely believe Markus has looked into it and Im sure he's frustrated about not finding whats causng this issue as well.

Ah well, OOTP7 is heading our way.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #14
crazyhorsejohnny
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus
No, its not SP-2. It is a direct X issue.

I tested this several times with SP-2 and SP-1. Both tests revealed crashes when anything above directx 9.0 was installed. This is not an SP-2 issue.

Personally, I do not think Markus created OOTP6 with an updated developers DirectX SDK.
So did I. With SP-1 I had the latest DirectX and had no crashes. But when I updated to SP-2, it started crashing. Like I said, I had the same DirectX drivers for both. So for me, SP-2 is involved in the problem somehow.
crazyhorsejohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #15
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity
Agreed. That's why I'm still running Windows 2000

Kutulu, there was a time my previous machine was also having sound problems. It was an easy decision for me to turn off sounds to maintain system stability. When I got my new machine, I tried a number of tests and it worked fine - so now I have sounds as well when I want it
Henry - where you ever able to get XP to work with sound. I have turned mine off and it has solved system stability - but I really miss the in-game sound. When sound first came into the series (v4orv5) it was a huge addition to me.

I have a relatively new system and direct X 9.0c, my sound card is a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio with drivers dated 10/29/2004 - I would love to be able to get this to work and get system stability and in game sound
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #16
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

This is the first time I have ever complained about OOTP, in any form.

In my new dynasty, with 6.11, the game crashes after every damned game.

I shall attempt to work around the problem, by disabling the in-game sound, but I gotta tell you....I'm not real happy about it.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #17
Greg B
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I agree. What is that one mp3 rip I'm going to miss? "Stroke me"?
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 PM   #18
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44
Henry - where you ever able to get XP to work with sound. I have turned mine off and it has solved system stability - but I really miss the in-game sound. When sound first came into the series (v4orv5) it was a huge addition to me.

I have a relatively new system and direct X 9.0c, my sound card is a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio with drivers dated 10/29/2004 - I would love to be able to get this to work and get system stability and in game sound
I'm fortunate enough to have two machines. One running W2K and the second running XP. OOTP is on both of them, but the sounds turned off on the XP machines since I upgraded to the latest service pack and audio drivers. The W2K machine is running DirectX 9.0, which is the version OOTP was designed for.

It appears that to fix the issue (if it is in fact the DirectX version) Markus would have to issue a patch with the audio files reconstructed using the latest DirectX SDK. To be honest, I don't know if he plans to take the time to do this or not in the next patch - when and if it's released.

New Direct X versions will always have compatibility issues with previous audio drivers, so you have to be sure that you have the latest audio drivers for your card that supports the latest DirectX release.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:58 PM   #19
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

I actually have four machines here, but my "primary" machine in XP - I might just have to consider formating one of the older ones and running 2k on it. But I really like having my "main" machine with all the RAM being my "main" OOTP machine

currently I have been messing with the "acceleration" settings in DirectX to see if this solves anything.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #20
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44
currently I have been messing with the "acceleration" settings in DirectX to see if this solves anything.
In case anyone was curious, changing the acceleration settings did NOT stop the crashes - looks like "No sound for me" (think soup nazi)