Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:49 PM   #61
dpwoodford
Minors (Double A)

Nice to see a positive spin on things... I really wasn't trying to scare in my earlier posts, just explaining how I saw things...

MV's post on the testing policy should please some too!
Old 06-07-2004, 01:56 PM   #62
D Love
All Star Reserve

Is there an ongoing thread anywhere where all the outstanding bugs are listed? It does seem that there are more bugs in OOTP6 than in other versions given the time that has passed.

However, I do vividly recall a thread for OOTP5 that said OOTP5 had way more bugs than any prior version of OOTP had. I think Markus quickly replied that that was not the case and OOTP5 was comparatively less buggy.

Sooo, I am having trouble figuring out whether OOTP6 is truly more buggy or it's simply squeakier wheels making noise about the bugs that it does have.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #63
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
As I'm here and Markus isn't at the moment I thought I'd reply ...

With regards to supporting his existing products, SI will in no way block this from being done - however obviously he is working hard on drawing up designs for the new game at the moment during 'office' hours at SI (although I have tended to turn a blind eye towards work on them and indeed let Markus work full-time inhouse here for the last OOTP patch).

Markus will decide what support is required for his existing products and I'm sure as with his previous games this will go far beyond that normally given in the industry.

Um. Guys?

This isn't saying that SI is turning a blind eye towards Markus writing patches or updates to OOTP6. In fact, Marc is saying that he turned a blind eye towards current development of OOTP7 (the meaning of the "new game" phrase), allowing Markus to work on the OOTP6 patch (and presumably future patches, hence the phrase "I have tended to" instead of "I did" - I think the tense is past imperfect, meaning incomplete, but I'm a few miles away from my writer's guide so forgive me if I'm wrong). I hope Marc's post is more understandable, now.

- Dan
Old 06-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #64
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by D Love
Is there an ongoing thread anywhere where all the outstanding bugs are listed? It does seem that there are more bugs in OOTP6 than in other versions given the time that has passed.

However, I do vividly recall a thread for OOTP5 that said OOTP5 had way more bugs than any prior version of OOTP had. I think Markus quickly replied that that was not the case and OOTP5 was comparatively less buggy.

Sooo, I am having trouble figuring out whether OOTP6 is truly more buggy or it's simply squeakier wheels making noise about the bugs that it does have.
I don't think that number of bugs is as important as the severity of the bugs. In this case, I think that there are more bugs with higher severity than in previous versions. Weather or not there were more total numbers of bugs really shouldn't be the issue
Old 06-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #65
D Love
All Star Reserve

Malleus-

For the record, I don't object to the gist of your letter as much as your tone. But we'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyhow, one thing you did not touch upon and no one else really has, either, is the TIMING of Markus' announcement of the SI merger.

I'm not in marketing, but I thought it was horrendous judgment to announce (and therefore distract current & potential customers) a merger with an established company, as well as announcing a release date for the next version some 18 months down the road, just WEEKS after releasing OOTP6.

This announcement, I feel, has caused problems on many different levels (too many to discuss here) while, IMHO, not created ANY advantages.

What did Markus gain by announcing so early? Unless his agreement with SI required it, this was something that would have been better received this winter. And in the meantime, no one would be doubting Markus' ability or desire to patch up OOTP6. Instead, it seems many feel like OOTP6 is an abandoned stepchild.

Anyhow, I need to get back to work.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #66
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Theman
Um. Guys?

This isn't saying that SI is turning a blind eye towards Markus writing patches or updates to OOTP6. In fact, Marc is saying that he turned a blind eye towards current development of OOTP7 (the meaning of the "new game" phrase), allowing Markus to work on the OOTP6 patch (and presumably future patches, hence the phrase "I have tended to" instead of "I did" - I think the tense is past imperfect, meaning incomplete, but I'm a few miles away from my writer's guide so forgive me if I'm wrong). I hope Marc's post is more understandable, now.

- Dan
Good point Dan. (Although I will point out that I predicted that Marc's words would be picked apart to the punctuation mark. Past Imperfect..Ugh, reminds me of 12th grade French class....thanks a lot.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #67
D Love
All Star Reserve

I didn't necessarily mean number of bugs. Quality over quantity, of course. Man, you gotta be precise on these boards!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #68
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by D Love
I didn't necessarily mean number of bugs. Quality over quantity, of course. Man, you gotta be precise on these boards!
LOL
Old 06-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #69
Henry
Hall of Fame

I think it was Markus' intention to let everyone know asap about the delay for V7 - rather than wait until a few months from the expected release - then drop a bomb that everyone is going to have to wait 6 more months.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #70
Henry
Hall of Fame

My problem was the fact Markus was called a liar - outright. That's why the post was locked.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #71
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

ok, Henry. Ive lied before, Im sure you have too. I didnt say Markus was a liar, but he did lie. It happens. I still have faith that he will correct his broken promises.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM   #72
Henry
Hall of Fame

The point is, such language has no point or use on this board. "Liar" denotes an intentional action to decieve. That IS NOT what happened.

Anyway, if we can't discuss things in an adult manner with some reasonable tact, then nothing will get accomplished.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #73
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

I'm sure it wasn't Henry and I stated as such. I still have high hopes for OOTP's future and think V6 will be patched to where it needs to be.
I'm just frustrated with the game right now.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:16 PM   #74
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

I have to say that I like Markus' "overexuberance" if you will. I like the fact that he tries to put these things into his game and I completely understand if he falls short sometimes. I think we owe it to Markus to find his way again as I'm sure the move to SI has been a great move and a time consuming move.

I think everyone here has the same goal in mind...they want a bright future for OOTP. I don't think the $35 should be an issue to anyone because we all know we're going to shell it out for the next version.

While the boards have DEFINITELY been more interesting to read lately. Its starting to feel like a lynch mob is forming and that just doesn't make me feel good.

Mike
Old 06-07-2004, 03:18 PM   #75
Henry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by silvam14
While the boards have DEFINITELY been more interesting to read lately. Its starting to feel like a lynch mob is forming and that just doesn't make me feel good. Mike
Well, their prime target is going to take a well deserved sabatical. See you guys sometime after the new board returns
Old 06-07-2004, 03:19 PM   #76
adventureran
Major Leagues

Would you take a suggestion?

Another online community had similar problems with PR. The boards (and there were many more than OOTP has) were filled with comments similar to what we are seeing here.

They implimented a Top 20 Bugs List that was kept updated as to the status. Now, not everytime the developers worked on it, but as significant progress was made, or when it was in beta, or estimated date of delivery, etc.

This seemed to appease most because they felt they were being heard and work was being done.

Obviously not everyone is going to be satisfied - ever. But communication is an important part of a community - and that is what this is.

For all the bad-mouthing, trolling, name-calling, locked threads, etc. that has gone on here recently. And I will admit, I have done my share of pissing on the parade. The one thing that is abundantly clear is that everyone here really enjoys OOTP and even those of us who don't feel that the latest version is up to "standards", want to help to get it there.

If people didn't care, the emotions wouldn't be running so high as they appear to be here.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:19 PM   #77
rwd59
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by silvam14
we all know we're going to shell it out for the next version.
Not necessarily!
But I do feel adventaran's suggestion would be helpful.

Last edited by rwd59; 06-07-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #78
gmo
Hall Of Famer

*sigh*

People aren't interested in discussion, because this is not discussion going on along these lines. It is alternating declarations. People already have their minds made up. They aren't here to see points be made by various sides and try to sort out the issues. Perspectives are set and opinions are established on why the current problems exist, what those problems are and how they should be prioritized, what the future holds for V6 and for future versions under SI, what Markus did, is doing, will do, and so, etc, ad nausem.

I would like to discuss the issues currently on the front burner. But to me that means as much asking questions as stating opinions, less certainty going into the discussion, and though there is love of the game a detachment so as to keep gushing and bashing out of the discussion. I hope using "people" in the paragraph above was painting with too wide a brush, but I guess this is just not the time for emotionless moderate voices and minds not made up.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:25 PM   #79
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

It is getting ridiculous yeah. I imagine that the point has gotten through to Markus and the rest of the team, so it's probably time to cut it out. Ultimately one really good patch that fixes most of the bugs and features will go a long way to restoring the lost faith. But it is frustrating from a fan's point of view to love a game so much, but have a few problems that just kind of ruin the experience. I first posted today about the situation. A bad idea probably, as I was overly frustrated today about multiple things not ootp related.

I imagine it's not easy for Steve and Henry.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #80
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by adventureran
Would you take a suggestion?

Another online community had similar problems with PR. The boards (and there were many more than OOTP has) were filled with comments similar to what we are seeing here.

They implimented a Top 20 Bugs List that was kept updated as to the status. Now, not everytime the developers worked on it, but as significant progress was made, or when it was in beta, or estimated date of delivery, etc.

This seemed to appease most because they felt they were being heard and work was being done.

Obviously not everyone is going to be satisfied - ever. But communication is an important part of a community - and that is what this is.

For all the bad-mouthing, trolling, name-calling, locked threads, etc. that has gone on here recently. And I will admit, I have done my share of pissing on the parade. The one thing that is abundantly clear is that everyone here really enjoys OOTP and even those of us who don't feel that the latest version is up to "standards", want to help to get it there.

If people didn't care, the emotions wouldn't be running so high as they appear to be here.

That sounds great, but I think Markus has really done a great job in general with just staying in touch now and then.

I mean, these boards should ideally be for feedback (not only positive) and help and general discussion. I don't think our money that we spend on this game gives us a right to tell markus how to program his game and demand fixes or else (or else what? is more like it)

I think these boards are a great tool for Markus to use Henry and Steve to update him on what we, the users feel are problems with the game, and which, if any direction we would like it to go.

I personally would rather have Markus spending more time nose-deep in his OOTP code fixing things, than here trying to take in every little concern I have. I TRUST <---(good word here) Henry and Steve fill him in on the very important issues and that is all I can ask.
Closed Thread