Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 03-06-2002, 08:52 AM   #21
jameyhammock
Minors (Triple A)

[quote]Originally posted by Yossarian:
<strong>I think this thread name is a misnomer because it's probably not a bug. Fact is on my system, running Win2k sp2, fully updated, OotP4.0a uses 95-100% cpu cycles at all times. </strong><hr></blockquote>

It _is_ a bug precisely for that reason. An application that is not actually _doing_ much of anything shouldn't be wasting your processor's time.

I can open a whole lot of other processor-intensive applications on my machine at the same time and the CPU usage is very low when I'm not doing anything in them.

If I open OOTP4 and do nothing my processor (1.6 GHz) is pegged. That, my friend, is not right.
jameyhammock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:50 PM   #22
slackerjoe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm having this problem too. Except it runs at 98% pretty consistently.

During the game play it will often pause for several seconds up to a minute (and sometimes it never comes back and I need to reboot). I suspect this has to do with the CPU usage being so high.

If anyone can help address this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Specs: Win98SE, Athlon 650MhZ, 256MB PC100 RAM, 2GB free.

Great game, by the way!
slackerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:42 AM   #23
JimboJones
Minors (Triple A)

Exclamation

Markus, could you please respond to this??? You're the only one who knows for sure what's going on here. I know you're swamped with requests right now, but people's PCs overheating is a pretty serious issue.

Thank you.
JimboJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:14 AM   #24
Mark
Minors (Single A)

I'll join the queue on this one. I'm running XP with a truckload of memory and as soon as OOTP boots, CPU usage soars to 100%. Even when using graphic intensive software like 3dMax, during rendering, which is quite CPU intensive, the CPU usage hovers at around 40% to 60%.

There is no way that a program like OOTP should use anything near 50% of the CPU at any time.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:36 AM   #25
Mark
Minors (Single A)

Did a test with Championship Manager. It too soaks up 100% CPU usage even after data has been loaded and it is awaiting input. I don't recall this problem under Win98 but it certainly is happening under XP.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 05:36 AM   #26
marioh
All Star Starter

If your PC is overheating due to 100% CPU utilization, I hate to break it to you, but your PC is seriously flawed. PC's should not overheat due to 100% CPU utilization and if they do, it's because of very poor heat dispersion off of the CPU probably caused by a crappy heat/sink fan or garbage thermal paste and or poor ventilation and air flow.

I think people make too much of this 100% CPU utilization issue (except for the laptop users who have a valid issue due to battery consumption). If you minimize OOTP4 and try to do other things, is performance seriously degraded in other applications ?
I'm running an Athlon 1Ghz with 256MB RAM Win98 and I haven't seen any major performance degradation in other applications while OOTP4 is running.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:06 AM   #27
mwolin
Bat Boy

My laptop shuts off because of overheating as a precautionary move. I called compaq about this and they confirmed that if there if there is insufficient cooling the processor will power off and this is part of the BIOS. They suggested that I make sure the cooling vents are open etc but also were interested about what programs I am running. They did feel that 100% processor use shouldnt lead to overheating unless it went on for hours (which it does) but also said they havent had many calls on laptops shutting off because of this and thought there might be a software bug. I might send it in to be checked though.
mwolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:09 AM   #28
marioh
All Star Starter

I deal with Compaq laptops alot and haven't seen many cases of them shutting down from over-heating. Laptops are alot different from desktops though in terms of space and the ability to have proper ventilation in them. With so many components packed into a limited space, it's hard to get proper air flow in a laptop. Your overheating problems may be caused by the CPU being hot from the 100% CPU utilization and the laptop's inability to properly cycle out the hot air out of the laptop and get cool air into it. I suspect this may be the cause of your problems, especially if it doesn't happen during regular use (non-OOTP usage).
Old 03-07-2002, 08:13 AM   #29
mwolin
Bat Boy

Yeah...thats pretty much what compaq said; they didnt feel that there was anything wrong with the computer per se..
Old 03-07-2002, 08:38 AM   #30
bkurtz
Minors (Double A)

running win 98, pIII, 511 MB RAM. explorer, outlook, aim, excel and ootp4: Cpu usage 50%.
bkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:56 AM   #31
davep1967
Minors (Double A)

[quote]I think this thread name is a misnomer because it's probably not a bug. Fact is on my system, running Win2k sp2, fully updated, OotP4.0a uses 95-100% cpu cycles at all times. <hr></blockquote>

If you are using threads in a program, you must set the "Thread Priority" properly. Your choices are something like "Idle, Low, Normal, High, Very High" (that last will suck the life out of your PC even when doing nothing).

I suspect this is the problem in the code....but it might even be in the DirectX drivers.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:20 AM   #32
theDutchman
Bat Boy

I run an Athlon 1.3ghz Thunderbird with 384MB of RAM.

I ran a quick test to show the temperature changes. My machine was idle for 4 or 5 hours with the exception of internet usage. I ran OOTP4 for 5 minutes and then shut it off.

Initial Temperature 143F
After Starting OOTP4
1 Min - 150F
2 Min - 152F
3 Min - 154F
4 Min - 156F
5 Min - 158F
Shutdown OOTP4
1 Min - 150F
2 Min - 147F
3 Min - 145F

I think we can agree that my CPU is heating up quickly, but we can also agree that a text based game should not do that.
theDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 09:51 AM   #33
cb
Bat Boy

[quote]Originally posted by marioh:
<strong>
I think people make too much of this 100% CPU utilization issue (except for the laptop users who have a valid issue due to battery consumption). If you minimize OOTP4 and try to do other things, is performance seriously degraded in other applications ?
I'm running an Athlon 1Ghz with 256MB RAM Win98 and I haven't seen any major performance degradation in other applications while OOTP4 is running.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am also getting 100% cpu util while idling under win2k.
Also, if i minimize OOTP4 and use a cpu intensive app or game (q3, rtcw), when i return to OOTP4, it is unresponsive and i have to 'end task'.
I'm running an Athlon XP1600 with water cooling and my CPU temps never go above 36 c.
cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 10:05 AM   #34
mwolin
Bat Boy

Markus....could u address this issue and give us your thoughts.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:10 PM   #35
Yossarian
Minors (Single A)

Dutchman your cpu is running pretty hot. You should make sure your heatsink is on properly and that the fan is working. If that checks out, add a couple case fans. 60C+ under no load is quite high.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 02:01 PM   #36
hellfrozeover
All Star Starter

[quote]Originally posted by cb:
<strong>

I am also getting 100% cpu util while idling under win2k.
Also, if i minimize OOTP4 and use a cpu intensive app or game (q3, rtcw), when i return to OOTP4, it is unresponsive and i have to 'end task'.
I'm running an Athlon XP1600 with water cooling and my CPU temps never go above 36 c.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I seem to be in the minority when I say it, but I am not getting 100% usage. And I have a weaker computer than a lot of the ones listed here.

I have an HP Pavilion laptop with 128 RAM, 800 MHz processor. I run OOTP4 with about 5 internet explorer windows, AIM, MusicMatch Jukebox or Winamp, outlook express, and sometimes notepad, and I never have unresponsiveness and never overheat. Plus, my battery usually lasts around an hour and a half. Maybe I'm just lucky, I'm assuming that's it since everyone else is having this trouble even with about twice the RAM that I have.

Former Owner:
WBL Minnesota Twins
2004 - 2007 AL Central Division Champs
OOL Chicago Whales
2006, 2009 UL East Champs; 2006, 2009 United League Champs
IBA Lehigh Valley Diamonds
2006 Governor's Cup Champions
VSLB New York Yankees
2001, 2002 AL East Division Champs
ILBL Commissioner/Chicago Cubs
2002 NL Central Division Champs; 2002 National League Champs
ASBL New York Yankees
2006 AL East Division Champs

hellfrozeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:52 PM   #37
Yossarian
Minors (Single A)

How are you measuring it, hellfrozeover? You can be at 100% and not have responsiveness or heat problems.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:04 PM   #38
DWoofer
Bat Boy

Unhappy

I'm having the 100% CPU problem with OOTP4 too. Both on a desktop with Win98 and on a laptop with XP.
DWoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:16 PM   #39
JML
Hall Of Famer

[quote]Originally posted by OOTP1:
<strong>Not sure what is going on with your system, I just checked mine while having 5 windows open and having OOTP4 simming a season and I am only running at 68%. Windows 98SE, 512 meg of RAM.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve, i just right-clicked on my computer and under performance properties it said resources were 68% free. But when I ran my system monitor it indeed showed processor usage at 100% with OOTP4 open and idle. I closed OOTP (have just one IE window, Zonealarm firewall and the system monitor running) and it dropped down to about 8%. That's weird. I've read this post a few times but never thought it was happening on my system. i'm running a PII 400, 256MB RAM, Win98SE. Thing is, even with OOTP3 AND 4 open, I can surf the net and do other stuff without much lag. But I too see my processor usage at 100% with OOTP open. never had an overheating problem (that I know of!)
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 06:29 PM   #40
BleacherBum
All Star Reserve

I just purchased the game 30 minutes ago, and have yet to actually start a league. I fired up the game, and hit "Let's Play Ball". Then I swtiched over to open up the Manual, and noticed the PC was responding poorly. Checked the Task Manager (Win2000), and I'm at 100% CPU usage. Close OOTP, back to nothing.

OK, so first thing to try is reboot, and run OOTP with a fresh start. Bam, right away I'm flat lined at 100% (before even hitting Let's Play Ball). This continues as I open different screens. In fact, its been steady for a good 10 minutes, and I haven't done a thing.

Unfortunately, this is a big problem. My computer is not just a gaming console, so I like to be able to perform other tasks in the midst of game play. This becomes painful when resources are hogged by an idle program - your other software suffers.

It is a little frustrating that with the number of users reporting this problem, the only development response is "well, it doesn't happen on my computer". Perhaps because performance issues are difficult to chase down? In any event, here's the particulars of my configuration:

Win2000 Professional, Service Pack 2
Dell Dimension
Pentium III, 533 MHz, 256 MB Memory
DirectX 8.1

Hopefully this will get some attention soon, in the meantime, I'm going to do some more investigating....

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: BleacherBum ]

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: BleacherBum ]</p>