Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
Smirley
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Development

So it is MLB roster expansion and also the start of the AAA playoffs. Is it more beneficial to let the AAA players play in the playoffs or to call them up for MLB experience. Does this effect the development of them at all? I'm curious because I've recently been keeping them down for the playofffs
Smirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if they aren't overmatched, it is almost certainly better for development at the MLB level. Development is best at MLB, as long as they aren't wretchedly rated.

however, it may not be best for club control and other financial/business considerations. so, make sure to take a broad view on it and whether you want to start that players mlb clock or not... if they aren't going to use an 'option' next year, you may not want to do it. you move them up for expanded rosters, and now you have to use an option the next year if he doesn't make the mlb. 1/3 and no need.

i customize all of that so that all MiLs are done august 31. no playoffs for any of them, but i could leave the sub-AAA playoffs intact, i guess. i'd rather save the processing time than have the playoffs in minors run, lol. It does make for a long auguest 31 sim-day. Then another typically slow sep 1 as they all re-do their rosters.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
i customize all of that so that all MiLs are done august 31. no playoffs for any of them, but i could leave the sub-AAA playoffs intact, i guess. i'd rather save the processing time than have the playoffs in minors run, lol. It does make for a long auguest 31 sim-day. Then another typically slow sep 1 as they all re-do their rosters.
Good to see i am not the only one that does this.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

heck, i turn off all MiL awards too, lol. i don't want any wasted time on that nonsense. (personal opinion, of course)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Good to see i am not the only one that does this.
Same here. I try to keep the game as real life as possible, but take liberties with any situation that the AI is unlikely to handle well. Not a criticism of the game, just the limitation of a computer to comprehend real life.

The AI when it looks at the AAA playoffs can only see one dimension. I don’t actually know which one it is, and don’t care in this case. There are games to play in AAA and the system is telling it also that September call ups now happen. It can be programmed to prioritize either decision, but only one. Thus, end the AAA season on August 31 and call it a season. No one cares.

IRL, a team decides if the playoff experience in AAA or sitting on the bench getting a few at-bats is more beneficial to the player several months to years down the road. The AI cannot think that way.

I also do this on things like playoff series length in the minors (the AI may throw your Casey Mize an extra 5-6 games if you leave lower levels at two rounds of seven game playoffs and thus is not realistic). I make all minor league activity to the extent I can about the AI moving players through its system and toward the major leagues. Nothing else matters in the game as there are no actual fans in Peoria.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

my expanded roster is knocked down to "30" too. I have no problems deviating from reality if a team has more than 5 mlb-quality guys at AAA, welll, too bad, lol. the ai too often adds prospects to the 40-man before they need to. the expanded roster size is what it stays bloated at over offseason, so it helps with this too, i think.

that's how i see it, too. the minors are for development. I care not for anything else. i even have the statistical detail set to the lowest setting for those leagues. anything i can do to speed up the simulation in that area, i do -- without impeding development.

i.e. rules can be detrimental if too strict. after rookie, it needs to really open up as far as where people go as to not restrict flow or cause a bottleneck.

once in a while i recalc the modifiers, but in general, i ignore nearly all aspects of those leagues. i do micromanage promotions/demotions, but that's just to provide a winning environment.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

I changed the rules in my league to reflect the real world changes coming where september rosters are limited 28 players, so it doesn't usually effect many players. i'll call up a reliever and a position player but nobody like a top prospect if i dont have to
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I changed the rules in my league to reflect the real world changes coming where september rosters are limited 28 players, so it doesn't usually effect many players. i'll call up a reliever and a position player but nobody like a top prospect if i dont have to
I thought the rules changed such that you could still have a 40 man Sep roster but any given day you can only have 28 active, or something like that? Is that not what they ended up going with?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I thought the rules changed such that you could still have a 40 man Sep roster but any given day you can only have 28 active, or something like that? Is that not what they ended up going with?
From USA Today:

"All teams will have a 28-man roster in the final month of September, after having a 26-man roster the first five months of the season."

"The way it stands now, teams can expand their roster up to 40 players in September, though not all follow suit."

So you can call up two additional guys from the 40 man roster in september but you dont have to keep the same 2 guys. which is what i do. if i need a spot starter i'll pluck one from my AAA team for one day then send him back down for another reliever. Or usually if my team has already clinched a playoff spot I will call up guys to save my pitchers for the playoffs or call up guys to get a brief cameo to give my hitters some rest before the playoffs begin
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:57 AM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if he's on the 40 and in the mil, he's already used his option, so you can move those on teh 40-man up and down all you want in september, maybe that's what the reference is about?

as long as they've used their option, it's of no consequence to shuffle them around.