Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Dumbest article ever in regards to OOTP

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...-include-women
Old 04-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

What's dumb about it?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Johnny Case
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
There's no escaping the disease of Wokeness. . .

Why aren't there any "women or other marginalized groups" (women are marginalized???) in OOTP? Ummmm, maybe because there's never been a professional female yet (born female, that is) who could even hit .100 against Aaron Sanchez.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
thklein
Major Leagues

I can't see a downside to including female coaches, managers, and trainers in the game. It would probably just be a matter of giving them feminine names and pictures. Heck, if a player wanted to make a female coach they could through the editor. Just change the name and the image.

Female players is a little trickier. They could obviously create a woman's league, like the All American Girls league. But that would be a lot of effort on a feature I'm guessing not a lot of people would use. And it's not like create a foreign men's league, which not a lot of people probably play but that can feed players in to the league you do play. They could also throw a handful of female players into the independent leagues. But then you have the issue of programming in the physical differences between men and women. And again, you can make any player in the game female if you want to. Change Mike Trout's name to Michelle Trout and change the image. Boom, best player in baseball is female.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Consider the source.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thklein View Post
I can't see a downside to including female coaches, managers, and trainers in the game. It would probably just be a matter of giving them feminine names and pictures. Heck, if a player wanted to make a female coach they could through the editor. Just change the name and the image.

Female players is a little trickier. They could obviously create a woman's league, like the All American Girls league. But that would be a lot of effort on a feature I'm guessing not a lot of people would use. And it's not like create a foreign men's league, which not a lot of people probably play but that can feed players in to the league you do play. They could also throw a handful of female players into the independent leagues. But then you have the issue of programming in the physical differences between men and women. And again, you can make any player in the game female if you want to. Change Mike Trout's name to Michelle Trout and change the image. Boom, best player in baseball is female.
Except all the news articles and other write ups will say "him", "his", "he" etc because those things are hard coded into the game.

It's not so simple
Old 04-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

There are female coaches and trainers in OOTP Franchise Mode. You can hire them.

Last edited by crowhop; 04-01-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thklein View Post

Neither, can I, see the upside. What would be the point? Beyond some woke culture aficionado getting to check off some check box in a (poorly) written review? It wouldn't by any significant margin add anything to the game, and any appeal such actions might have on prospective buyers probably couldn't even be measured. But hey ho, to each their own as they say.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowhop View Post
There are female coaches and trainers in OOTP Franchise Mode. You can hire them.

Must be related to Johnny Cash
Old 04-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henric View Post
Neither, can I, see the upside. What would be the point?
There are women trainers and coaches IRL. Being realistic would be the point.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 04-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Case View Post
There's no escaping the disease of Wokeness. . .
I was whipsawed by this article. Being a political liberal and social conservative will lend itself to this condition, I suppose.

Wokeness up to a point, then it's bending over backwards and tiring. To criticize a game that merely reflects professional reality at the current time is just plain stupid. "Players can take the helm of the Sugar Land Skeeters from the Atlantic League or the Hoofddorp Pioniers from the Dutch Honkbal Hoofdklasse. Disappointingly, you cannot play in any women’s leagues or tournaments whether historical or present." That's for a reason: INSUFFICIENT INTEREST ON THE PART OF A VAST MAJORITY OF THE CUSTOMER BASE.

There, I said it. If I don't emerge unscathed, it will be due to having fallen to the #MeToo scourge.

Same with this quote: "Nowhere, in the many, many menus that tell me everything I never wanted to know about the 2020 Giants could I find confirmation that Alyssa Nakken worked for the Giants as an assistant coach." Assistant coaches in the game? Assistant general managers? Vice-directors of human resources? Cotton candy vendors? With all due respect to Ms. Nakken, if she were a manager, or a player, she would be in the game.

Now the whipsaw effect. I was thinking it would be nice if women could be included more in the game. But only to the extent of realism and only to the extent of significance. I'm sorry, but "any women’s leagues or tournaments whether historical or present" is just not going to cut it. Neither are women's college teams leading unnaturally into a MLB draft. A "Women’s Baseball Cup" might be a possibility for OOTPB, though.

Are there any women out there firing up their flamethrowers? I am on your side, you know. It's just that I want a realistic baseball simulation game. And I don't want OOTPD bending over backwards, and wasting resources, to be politically correct.

I swear to goodness, even normally these sports writers need to scrape barrel bottoms for topics, given the numbers of their compatriots competing for attention 24/7. Now, with NO sports to write about, it's getting ridiculous.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 04-01-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
There are women trainers and coaches IRL. Being realistic would be the point.
They should already be in the game, at least some of them are in there. I know that a couple of the Indy Leagues have Female GMs and Trainers, and I know for a fact that I have entered them into the game when doing the rosters. I also believe that there are a couple female players in the database that are retired because they played in a game in the Indy Leagues.

* Kelsie Whitmore, Stacy Piagno, and Anna Kimbrell are all in the game, but retired.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 04-01-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I am literally laughing at this review!
Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #14
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake Appeal View Post
What's dumb about it?
Considering MLB just added their first female coach this year it's dumb to put down either game for not including females when there next to none in RL.

MLB the Show is set to simulate MLB so to take time and effort to add in female ballplayers when there are none isn't worth the effort, it wouldn't increase sales enough to offset the cost of adding them in. Same goes for the few that were coaches or trainers in the minors. Now that there's an MLB assistant manager I can see them possibly taking the effort but before that there was no financial or realism reason to. As most gamer's act like spoiled 5 year olds, no matter the age, adding a female to almost anything would be more of a negative and hurt sales

In OOTP where it's more of an open universe sure there should be an option to make a player female. Should even be able to create a woman's league. Really no excuse why it hasn't been added before. You can make non players Female but not players for some reason

Otherwise it's just a dumb click bait article.

Last edited by OutS|der; 04-01-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Except all the news articles and other write ups will say "him", "his", "he" etc because those things are hard coded into the game.

It's not so simple
And there would have to be twice as many first-name files.

But the problem goes beyond just pronouns and names and facegens. There isn't enough data out there to create a development model for women baseball players. We just don't know how a 19-year-old female prospect will develop in five or ten or fifteen years because there hasn't been a 19-year-old female prospect in the past whose stats we can look at as a comparison.

Right now, the only development model that the game has is based on how men develop as players, so putting a woman into the game would mean that she would develop like a man, which isn't realistic.

I'd love to have the ability to recreate the AAGPBL, but incorporating women into the game would be really complicated and involve a lot more than just changing a few pronouns. And, in the end, it might sell a couple dozen extra units. Hardly worth it from a game-development standpoint.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #16
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Right now, the only development model that the game has is based on how men develop as players, so putting a woman into the game would mean that she would develop like a man, which isn't realistic.

I'd love to have the ability to recreate the AAGPBL, but incorporating women into the game would be really complicated and involve a lot more than just changing a few pronouns. And, in the end, it might sell a couple dozen extra units. Hardly worth it from a game-development standpoint.
That's a very good point. Never considered that aspect of it.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #17
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post

In OOTP where it's more of an open universe sure there should be an option to make a person female. Should even be able to create a woman's league. Really no excuse why it hasn't been added before.

Where does it say you can't add these leagues or people into the game? There is no box for Gender on ANY of the players, so is it really that big a deal?

There are women in the game, you just have to search for them. And if i recall, someone did a mod that had the Women's league from the 40s.

There have been many threads about women in OOTP in the past and this is about the time this topic comes up.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #18
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I don't think we're particularly close to having sample sizes anywhere near large enough to be able to track stuff like baseball talent development in women in their 20s and 30s, so assuming that they'd develop in the same general way as men of the same age (all relatively speaking of course) is probably a good base to start from. It seems like a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 04-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #19
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Baseball video games need to include women
No they don't.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #20
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Wait, really? Damn.
Markus can I have my money back for the past eight versions please and thank you
Closed Thread