Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #441
McBruce
Minors (Double A)

Back for a spin after a few years

I buy OOTP every couple of years to admire the progress even though I don't get as into it as many others do. This year's version I bought for myself as a reward for getting through a busy period of work during the real offseason. Before setting up the fictional league I like to immerse myself into, I played a 7-game series between the '93 Blue Jays and the '94 Expos, which will immediately tell you what country I am from. Not residing in the Greater Toronto area, I naturally took the Expos.

3-D playing fields are a real improvement and nearly make the text play-by-play unnecessary. All of the fonts work well even on the most text-rich screens. A few odd things I discovered during this first series of games:

--During roof-closed night games, the rendition of both Stade Olympique and SkyDome include backdrops with sunsets and skylines, which seemed odd for an indoor stadium... Even with the roof open you would not see this unless it was painted on the upper wall.

--It seems odd, if you let the 3-D play continue to the end of the inning, that the players will run into their dugout, but the animation will end there. If the user hasn't pressed a button to move forward in the simulation, why not have the other team run out onto the field, perhaps after a short wait, then wait for a user button push?

--A lot of plays at first base are close and could do with an umpire's signal. Often I found myself rereading the text to find out what happened.

--One more suggestion. Allow an option to remap the letter options to keys on a numeric keypad. Nothing quite like sitting back in an easy chair with a wireless numeric keypad and playing: until you want to try a run and hit and need the 'a' key...

That's all I've got so far. The result of the Canadian World Series? The Jays took a 3 games to 1 lead, Expos won the next two, and in Game 7 I was the goat, inserting a 22-year old Pedro Martinez in, on two days rest, to put the fire out in the 7th with a runner on second and none out, because he claimed to have something left in him. Three walks later the score was tied and Pedro was replaced. The next batter hit into a none-out DP that scored the final run of the series...

Last edited by McBruce; 04-27-2018 at 06:24 AM.
McBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #442
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm seeing some very cool things with respect to the AI teams.

Houston's SP Collin McHugh helped them with the WS in 2018, then in 2019 they trade him to the Dodgers at the deadline to get a starting catcher and a good prospect (last year of his contract).

He goes to the Dodgers and helps them win the WS in 2019.

In 2020 Houston locks him up for 5/$85M, so it was a shrewd business move by the Astros. I thought that was neat to see.

The AI work that has been done to v19 is amazing and makes for such an engrossing virtual baseball world!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #443
moore4807
All Star Starter

What I am in agreement with everyone is what a jump towards perfection Marcus & Friends have made with OOTP19. Just as the topping to this treat, I noticed in the original version that the scoreboard was showing only the score, not hits n' errors as before.

I said to myself " I'll just have to bitch about that in the forums and hope they change it back"... Well in just a week, I see TWO updates and the scoreboard features are back! And I never even got around to bitching about it.

Playing as a fifty something minors manager, I'm so engrossed in the day to day playing and new animations, the players are more lifelike than ever and Baltimore just hired me from "A" ball to manage (mangle?) the Norfolk Tides... I'm luvin it!!!!

Last edited by moore4807; 04-29-2018 at 11:05 PM.
moore4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #444
Radsmats
Minors (Double A)

I love everything about the game from the GM up. It's a terrific sim. The best BB sim ever, by a wide margin.
But I don't love the play-by-play management because none of the little sim players know how to play the game (and I think the 3D modelling is hurting, not helping, in a lot of cases).
Examples:
Outfielders routinely air-mailing long throws to the catcher, but baserunners never take advantage to grab an extra base. Guys on second not tagging up on balls hit deep to right. The infield (70 range 2B) playing deep and balls hit beside (not over) the mound routinely make it to the outfield. The cutoff man (when the OF bothers to hit him) getting the throw with a runner just barely past third and then standing around with the ball as the runner goes another 80 feet to score.
A lot of these weren't issues before the 3D because if the text said the throw goes to the cutoff man but the runner scores without a play at the plate you would assume he was almost home before the SS caught the ball, not still rounding third. You couldn't see the 2B standing stock still on the OF grass as the grounder dribbled past him for a hit.
I get it: It's all because there's this fabulously complicated statistical engine driving the play behind the scenes and the batter is destined to get a hit, but when the play-by-play process renders it, it comes out wrong.
Or the last game I played ... top of the 10th, runners on first and third, nobody out. Just an OK pitcher on the mound ... 4 Ks per game kind of guy. The batter and the guy on third with good wheels. The hitter's my lead-off guy. Really good contact hitter. He strikes out swinging on four pitches. He can't do that. He has to try to get the ball in play. Shorten up on the bat / the swing / whatever and ... Put. The. Ball. In. Play. Now I understand sometimes guys strike out in that situation and the sim reflects that reality, but the game doesn't note it. The commentary is the same as if he struck out with nobody on in the third. The post-game doesn't note it as a big moment, but in real life a .350 hitter has to make contact there or somebody has to explain why or get excited about it.
With the old board-and-card games, you knew that if you rolled a certain number on the batter's card, it was a hit regardless. It was obviously an abstraction. But OOTP has gotten so good that I expect it to look like it's being played by guys who understand the basics of the game. Instead, it looks like what it is -- a stats engine driving a PbP script. Constantly pulls me out of the moment and I can't stand to watch it.
Radsmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #445
nellie fox
Bat Boy

I can't say enough good things about OOTP 19. Looking forward to OOTP 20.
nellie fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #446
Juggernt
Major Leagues

One thing I don't like is that you can't easily see players' spring training stats. They used to show up in the rosters and transactions screen; they don't in v19. The hack is to use your Team Home Screen, which shows your primary lineup--just swap the players in and you can at least see average, HR, and RBI without resorting to the klunky Sortable Stats page in the Spring Coverage tab. I'd really love to be able to one click and see my whole team's spring training numbers.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #447
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernt View Post
One thing I don't like is that you can't easily see players' spring training stats. They used to show up in the rosters and transactions screen; they don't in v19. The hack is to use your Team Home Screen, which shows your primary lineup--just swap the players in and you can at least see average, HR, and RBI without resorting to the klunky Sortable Stats page in the Spring Coverage tab. I'd really love to be able to one click and see my whole team's spring training numbers.
Change the "split" to spring training and you can see them in any view.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #448
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Well how about that. Thanks for the tip!
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #449
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I'll tell ya the thing i dont like, mostly just because once these issues are resolved i will really like everything else.
1. Dont like the fact that default install puts all of the saved games logos etc in the Program Files X86 folder. Just takes more time to navigate to them.
2. Had an issue with some error messages and a crash trying to create a RD 2017 league. Did not get either when i tried it a 2nd time.
3. Can not copy and paste a team picture once its created from wherever its created to a folder that i use for my dynasties.
4. My saved games are not listed in the saved games folder despite the fact that they all load.
5. i'll have a few more but they have to do with mods and are not Markus and Co's fault.

Things i really like:
overall layout on game screen
easy to warm up a reliever
catcher covers 1st on groundballs
Multiple rows and columns - i updated my monitor to a widescreen but i can finally see all of teh home screen widgets i want to see.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 05-03-2018 at 11:02 PM.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #450
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

My impressions after one full season and two off-seasons.

First, I think OOTP 19 is excellent! I play out all of my games, and the UI, 3D, stadiums, improved facegen are adding a lot to the experience. Also, I really like the new scouting reports and I think the AI (trade, team management, in-game, etc.), has taken another leap forward.

So, here are the main things, out of the many things, I like a lot about OOTP 19:
• 3D players and improved stadiums
• Improved AI (trade, team management, in-game )
• Updated UI design and Facgen
• New scouting reports.

Here are the two main things I want to see continued improvement in for OOTP 20:
• 3D players/3D game play (the players themselves, player movement/game action). I really like where this is going.
• Improved AI (team management, trade, in game etc.); considering the strides made in 19, I think this is just going to get better.

I know that both of these “want to see continued improvement items” are always being worked-on (especially the AI), but OOTP 19 has given me a good look at where this sim is headed and what it can be, and I think these two items are a major part of that.

So I think OOTP 19 is an outstanding game. Congrats to all of those involved.

-Cal
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #451
Nightowl26
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Pitcher's low ratings

I really like this game. Graphics, wow waited so long for something like this.

I'm a little down on how low the ratings are for pitchers. Yes like what everyone has stated movement (especially) and control.

I don't know how to rate pitchers anymore. DeGroom a 37 movement? really.

What is considered low, average and above average now? Need help with this if anyone can give me some insight.

So hard to figure out trades and drafting with such low ratings. To me, I thought OOTP 18 ratings where more realistic.

I guess now that I'm looking at it even batters. In OOTP18 we had batters with contact ratings in the 70's, 80's. Now it seems most are from 30's to low 60's.

Just trying to figure out this new rating system.
Nightowl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #452
Minors (Double A)

the way the AI managers shuffle their pitching staffs and lineups is amazing. If a back of the rotation guy puts up the stats, he'll steadily move up and become the number one starter. The lineups always seem to make sense and it really feels like you're playing against human managers.
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:43 AM   #453
Will_Carey
Bat Boy

Sickest Game in The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
So, we're eager to hear your feedback! What do you think, was OOTP 19 worth the wait?

Cheers!
Markus

I only recently discovered the existence of OOTP. It looked great and I had to try it. I even got it for half price on steam summer sale, what a steal. This is the sickest video game that has ever graced the hard drive of any game system I have ever owned, and it's not even close. This game puts MLB The Show to shame, and I am a fan of The Show. Please don't ever stop doing this, or life will no longer be worth living... try living with that! Lol. Thank you for making life worth living.
Sincerely, Will from NC (Go Braves)
Will_Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 AM   #454
Will_Carey
Bat Boy

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I'm not going to rehash the reasons why. I'm just recording for posterity here; a communique from me to God, if you will.

Here it is: This is the most fun that I have ever had with OOTPB and that is saying something.

No smilies, no further comments, that is it.

I second that emotion. Now leave me alone, I'm approaching the All-Star break and have a series against the Yankees to play. Good day sir.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:48 AM   #455
Will_Carey
Bat Boy

How did you do this man... OMG, this sick af!!!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #456
adion
All Star Starter

Best

This is the best baseball game on the market.
adion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #457
Jon_The_XII
Bat Boy

This is the first OOTP game I’ve bought and I have to say that I have really been enjoying this game so far. Unlike in MLB the Show, I really like how you have full control over each team and individual players. I also appreciate all the advanced stats that this game has, such as WAR.

If there were some room for improvement, maybe it would be great to be able to quit a league/game without saving. While creating some custom leagues, I’ve made numerous mistakes accidentally pressing the change team nicknames and cities button. I’ve also accidentally pressed “Finish day” several times when I wanted to play the game.

Those gripes aside, OOTP 19 is an amazing game. You guys did an excellent job.

Last edited by Jon_The_XII; 07-03-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Have
Jon_The_XII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #458
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Hey Devs.... no pressure.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #459
jwaaa17
Bat Boy

nor really even a big baseball fan and this might be the best game I have ever played. have a lot of pc and ps4 games and literally haven't played another game since I got this 2 months ago. don't even remember why I decided to try it, but sure glad I did. keep up the good work.
jwaaa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #460
Velocifaptor
Bat Boy

I realize I'm kind of late to the 2019 party but I'm about to play my first game. I'd like to know if there has been an easy way of making a game that has an inaugural draft and also completely flushes the draft roster of real world players historical and current. This might seem kind of odd but when I play OOTP I'm really only interested in playing in a completely fictional league, with fictional teams, and fictional players. As far as I'm aware of the only way to really do this is to clear the roster and then fill it with new players after the game has actually started. I can't remember if I can even do that when it's not on commissioner mode.

I'm wondering whether the OOTP team would consider adding a quick game feature for a completely fictional league?
Velocifaptor is offline   Reply With Quote