Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #21
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

I'm looking forward to more chatter on this topic. How often are you supposed to see storylines occur? Are they rare? I have everything set up that I think is required to see storyline messages:
  • control of team
  • not delegating roster moves or transactions
  • coaches and scouts on
  • personality and morale on
  • receiving league news
  • receiving BNN news stories

Edit: They may be more frequent than one thinks. See posts #23 and #25 below. Also, the size of your league may have an effect. Larger leagues = more players and therefore more potential storyline situations? Just a thought.

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 04-10-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Better information after looking at it a bit more.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Here's one that I found. The player box obscured part of it, even in the News Listing view, so I exported it to Facebook to read the rest of it:
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 04-10-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Thanks to cody for redirecting my thoughts on this.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #23
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Wup, no, I take that back. Searching again through my messages, I did see one, the Scout Alleged Comment storyline (I found it in the XML file to confirm that it was indeed a storyline). Still, should they be this rare?
In just did a test of my FBL league (24 teams). I simmed out a year and saw 24 of them. That seems about right. It's just a matter of knowing which ones are regular news stories and which ones are storylines Interactive storylines are indeed rare but more are being added. By the time the second patch comes out (the 19th or so I think Markus said), you should see quite a few more. Actually, many are already written but the storyline code was a bit buggy and is being fixed up for that patch by Andreas.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Do you get pop-up notifications that stops simulation when a storyline occurs (i.e. like when someone gets injured or you get a trade offer)? I've only simmed one season but I haven't noticed any, perhaps I just missed the storyline e-mails if there were any...
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #25
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
In just did a test of my FBL league (24 teams). I simmed out a year and saw 24 of them. That seems about right. It's just a matter of knowing which ones are regular news stories and which ones are storylines Interactive storylines are indeed rare but more are being added. By the time the second patch comes out (the 19th or so I think Markus said), you should see quite a few more. Actually, many are already written but the storyline code was a bit buggy and is being fixed up for that patch by Andreas.
cody, you're right. I just went back and FILTERED my messages for BNN News and found a few more. And you're also correct that a couple were storylines which I thought were from the injuries file. Apologies. I'm going to edit my posts above to be more helpful and less misleading. Thanks.

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 04-10-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #26
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Since importing my main league into OOTP 13, I see 3 storylines in 2 seasons combined. There are 16 teams in the league.

EDIT: Also, in the other two leagues in the universe (both also 16 teams), one saw 3 storylines in the 2 seasons, the other only 2.

Last edited by damientheomen3; 04-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #27
Ghetto Anthony
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw2k5 View Post
I saw an interactive storyline the other day, but it did have a slight issue. Kyle Lohse expressed a desire to be traded, and a week went by without me putting him on the block. I then got an email saying that he either wants to be traded or he will retire (pretty cool to see this actually happening), and it gave me the option to put him on the block or do nothing.

I clicked "put him on the trading block," and I got an email the next day from his agent saying thanks for listening to his client. Very cool feature.

The problem was that Kyle actually never went on the block after I clicked that button - I had to do it myself - and a news story was generated that only said "Put Player On Trade Block" in both the title and body of the story.

So, I can confirm that these do happen, and I feel like it is a big addition to the game - but there appear to be a couple of kinks that need to be worked out.
Same thing happened to me with Bruce Chen for the Kansas City Royals. I ended up saying I wouldn't trade him and simmed a few weeks before I noticed there was a hole in my starting pitching rotation! He retired!
Ghetto Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #28
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I'm playing a Major League 2012 game. I'll try starting a FBL league too see if they occur more often there.
omgimasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #29
oman19
All Star Starter

Quote:
It should work with new leagues as well as storylines get copied into your new file. Without coaches on, storylines in general are much less apparent as many of them use coaches within the storylines for added detail. Without morale and personalities on, you are unlikely to get any interactive storylines (as far as I remember) since most rely on a person's mood (so they make sense).
Is there anyway to get storylines where we dont' have to have coaches on? I'm willing to experiment with playing with morale on. Been thinking about it for awhile anyway.

I just don't want the coaches be on and have to deal with hiring them and them having any effect on my player development.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
Is there anyway to get storylines where we dont' have to have coaches on? I'm willing to experiment with playing with morale on. Been thinking about it for awhile anyway.

I just don't want the coaches be on and have to deal with hiring them and them having any effect on my player development.
Quite a few will still work with coaches off. Just not all of them (since some of the stories are about the managers and coaches). Turning personality on will certainly help.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
oman19
All Star Starter

Thx Cody. I keep personality on. Now I just gotta work up the nerve to play with morale. With the change about the draft I just might do it.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Are there pop-up notifications that stop simulation when a storyline occurs? (ie. as there are with trade offers)
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #33
Folderol
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMak View Post
I have had Nolan Ryan die and his son take over. Would this be considered a storyline?
Managing the Mets, I had Fred Wilpon die.

If only.

Folderol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #34
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Enabling Interactive Storyline

I've imported my OOTP 12 league to OOTP 13 and have simmed a couple season and have not seen any interactive storylines. I have coaches and everything turned on. Is there a place where I can enable/disable these storylines?
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
I've imported my OOTP 12 league to OOTP 13 and have simmed a couple season and have not seen any interactive storylines. I have coaches and everything turned on. Is there a place where I can enable/disable these storylines?
It's here, but chances are you already have it on by default. Read the previous posts in this thread, say from #21 onward.
Attached Images
Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
ch33s3
Bat Boy

I like the idea of the interactive storylines but the implementation could be improved.

For example I just saw this one in my mailbox :

Quote:
Fed Up With Losing, Gustavo Nunez Snaps: After another bad loss by his Pirates today, SS, Gustavo Nunez, was not a happy camper. Specifically, he took his frustrations out on his teammate Josh Harrison, getting into an "animated" argument in the clubhouse. "It's his fault we're losing ballgames", said Nunez about Harrison. "I was just trying to let him know that he needs to play better and he took offense to it."

Pirates Manager, Clint Hurdle, commented saying that "boys will be boys", and continued by saying, "things like this happen when we don't win."
Only problem with that is it was the second game of the season and the Pirates were 1-1.
ch33s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #37
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33s3 View Post
I like the idea of the interactive storylines but the implementation could be improved.

For example I just saw this one in my mailbox :

Only problem with that is it was the second game of the season and the Pirates were 1-1.
Thanks for reporting this. It is likely counting spring training losses. This can be fixed.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #38
jonpfl
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
Ah that explains it. I play with morale and coaches both off.
I have coaches off but where do you set morale on or off? I assume when a player is unhappy, he plays worse with morale on, right?

Thx
jonpfl
jonpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #39
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpfl View Post
I have coaches off but where do you set morale on or off? I assume when a player is unhappy, he plays worse with morale on, right?

Thx
jonpfl
Right. It is under picture options in setup. There are two checkboxes needed. Show and use player personalities and show and use player morale system.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #40
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Just to clarify, Player Personalities and Player Morale are two different things in OOTP. You don't need to disable both. Quite often I disable Morale and leave Personalities on. The choice is yours.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote