Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

My Last Thread on OOTP 13 Improvements

I know these have been posted before, but I haven't gotten a response for all of them, and with the new OOTP13 board (I shouldn't have posted these in the sticky thread), I wanted to give a final list of suggestions which, for the most part, cover realism issues. I would love to hear feedback on these and I will check in after release to see if any of these were addressed. I love OOTP, and will be purchasing two copies of OOTP 13.:

• If a defensive player or pitcher gets injured on the last pitch of a half inning, you must immediately replace him. In real life, you wouldn’t have to identify the replacement until the next inning where the defensive player or pitcher is required. I HATE this. Sometimes I put in a pitcher and he doesn't even pitch. Or I have to make a decision before I would have to normally and then the next half inning changes my decision so I waste a player. Sometimes a pitcher who doesn't pitch gets the win!
  • It is possible to take out a pitcher before he has completed an at-bat. This is only allowed in real life in the case of injury. I was told this was fixed, but it is not. I just tried it and was allowed to do it.
  • A pinch hitter or pinch runner for a DH is not recorded as a pinch hitter or pinch runner. Pinch hitters, pinch runners or replacement fielders for injured players are often not recorded correctly. This also applies to ejected players. e.g. If an offensive player is injured or ejected in the middle of a half-inning, the designation of PH is given even if the player fields before he hits.
  • When there are runners on base, the bunt for a hit option is not available. There is a difference between a sacrifice bunt and a bunt for a hit in the bunter's technique (trying to make a perfect bunt vs. just good enough to advance the runner).
  • When a player is optioned down, he can't be recalled until 10 days have passed. However, he can be recalled sooner than that if a player on the major league roster is placed on the disabled list. In OOTP you can recall him without an injury at the MLB level.
  • The game sims by at bat and not by pitch. This is illustrated by the take pitch issue( http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ake-pitch.html ), where if you use the take pitch feature (which I love! and is used in real life all the time) until two strikes you get unrealistic results - high walks without high corresponding strikeouts. In other words, there is no disadvantage to going down 0-2, which also affects base stealing strategy.
  • Passed balls and wild pitches seem to occur more frequently with a man on third base. I can't verify this for sure, but others have the same observation, so even though it's debatable, I thought I would post anyway.
  • I know work has been done and progress realized in this category, but: man on 3rd, 1 out, pitching team up 4-0 in the bottom of the 7th and I get intentionally walked. This would never happen. It's better than OOTP 10, but unrealistic intentional walks are still issued occasionally in OOTP12.
  • Injured players cannot be replaced in the middle of a playoff series.
  • Earned runs vs. unearned runs are not always calculated correctly. Two examples for illustration:
    • In the following sequence, the starting pitcher was given 3 ER when all 5 runs should have been earned: (1) single (2) HBP (3) walk (4) single, scoring two runs - runners now at 1st and 2nd (5) passed ball, advancing the runners to second and third (6) home run, scoring 3 runs in total (7) ground out (8) strike out (9) HBP (10) ground out
    • Another one: SP given 1 ER when 3 of the 4 should have been earned: (1) strikeout (2) walk (3) double, man on first goes to third (4) error on 1B allowing runner to reach, man on 3rd goes home and man on 2nd goes to 3rd (5) home run (6) ground out (7) strike out
Thank you! I am already buying two copies of the game because I am very happy the DH issue has been fixed, as well as the rehab issue. Best baseball game on the market easy.

Last edited by simcrazy; 01-29-2012 at 08:06 PM.
simcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcrazy View Post
[*]Injured players cannot be replaced on the playoff roster.
That's not correct. Injured players can be replaced between playoff series. You mean replacing injured players can't be done during a playoff series.

This distinction is important if you wish to see the item addressed.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
That's not correct. Injured players can be replaced between playoff series. You mean replacing injured players can't be done during a playoff series.

That could be one off the list that he got a response about. Really should have taken those off, but oh well.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

deja vu....again
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
soadeathdealer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
  • I know work has been done and progress realized in this category, but: man on 3rd, 1 out, pitching team up 4-0 in the bottom of the 7th and I get intentionally walked. This would never happen. It's better than OOTP 10, but unrealistic intentional walks are still issued occasionally in OOTP12.
  • Injured players cannot be replaced on the playoff roster.

well with a guy on 3rd and 1 out you walk the guy to get him on 1st in order to try for a double play its realistic . but if your talking about the frequency that this happens in game then I could understand that having this happen every time in game would be unrealistic .

Injured players can be replaced between series as said in this thread earlier .

Leagues

OOTP

POTD: Vermont/Co-Commish
MTBL: League Closed
The Show: Jacksonville Bombers
RFTP : Braves/co-commish: League Closed
HRBL: Commish: League Closed

DDSPF

WWPF- Miami

CSFL- Tampa

USFL: New Orleans

DDSCF

SNCFL: Florida/ JMU
soadeathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post

Good point and thank you. Edit made.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by soadeathdealer View Post
[/LIST]

well with a guy on 3rd and 1 out you walk the guy to get him on 1st in order to try for a double play its realistic . but if your talking about the frequency that this happens in game then I could understand that having this happen every time in game would be unrealistic .

Injured players can be replaced between series as said in this thread earlier .
re: intentional walks - I respectfully disagree. The double play is less important than setting up a potential three-run homerun in that example. I don't think there is a single manager in the MLB who would do that. If the score was reversed and the pitching team was down 4-0, it would absolutely make sense. I have seen other instances and should have kept those details - perhaps I will do so going forward and add to the OP. I will iterate again that there has been great, significant progress in this area since OOTP10, which is much appreciated.

re: playoff injuries - point well taken, thank you. In MLB you can make a replacement during a series, and I was told in OOTP you cannot. "During" was an important distinction that I should not have omitted.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
[*]Passed balls and wild pitches seem to occur more frequently with a man on third base. I can't verify this for sure, but others have the same observation, so even though it's debatable, I thought I would post anyway
Seems to occur is the critical point. How do you expect Markus to correct an issue based on your obviously flawed opinion? If I tell you that it seems to occur when a man is on first, is there any way for either of us to prove it. I would tell you that my 200-300 plus seasons of observation disagree with yours. What should Markus correct?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 01-29-2012 at 09:03 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Seems to occur is the critical point. How do you expect Markus to correct an issue based on your obviously flawed opinion? If I tell you that it seems to occur when a man is on first, is there any way for either of us to prove it. I would tell you that my 200-300 plus seasons of observation disagree with yours. What should Markus correct?
My opinion isn't obviously flawed, but I agree that it is just that: opinion. I don't know how to test this. Others have made the same observation. If you have played 200-300 seasons, I doubt you play every game out, which would be the only way you can observe this possible issue.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My opinion isn't obviously flawed, but I agree that it is just that: opinion. I don't know how to test this. Others have made the same observation. If you have played 200-300 seasons, I doubt you play every game out, which would be the only way you can observe this possible issue.
I'll put my number of games played out against yours any time. The point I'm making is that you have no evidence that PB and WP occur more often with men on third than with any other bases occupied state. Asking for a fix for an unproven problem is ridiculous.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would agree with you.. I play out about 30 games a season and although I think PB and WP a tad high when playing out games, when I do see them, it's when a guy is on first base - at least the majority of the time.. in fact, rarely have I seen a PB/WP when a man is on third base.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I would agree with you.. I play out about 30 games a season and although I think PB and WP a tad high when playing out games, when I do see them, it's when a guy is on first base - at least the majority of the time.. in fact, rarely have I seen a PB/WP when a man is on third base.
Which proves my point above. We can all speculate but there is zero reason to ask for a fix for a problem that is not quantified. I paraphrase the doctors oath, "do no harm".

BTW WP and PB can be controlled to +-5% with league total modifiers.

RichW

Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which proves my point above. We can all speculate but there is zero reason to ask for a fix for a problem that is not quantified. I paraphrase the doctors oath, "do no harm".

BTW WP and PB can be controlled to +-5% with league total modifiers.
Had a WP in my last game tonight, had a runner on 2nd base.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
re: intentional walks - I respectfully disagree. The double play is less important than setting up a potential three-run homerun in that example. I don't think there is a single manager in the MLB who would do that. If the score was reversed and the pitching team was down 4-0, it would absolutely make sense.
Really even if say Adam Everett was the next guy up? I wouldn't say never. It depends a lot on how is at the plate and who the next hitter is. No one would walk to get to Pujols but maybe if the next guy was batter would Humberto Quintero I might consider it. No if they are walking the guy before Barry Bonds, Albert Pujols, or Mark McGuire to try to get one of the big sluggers to ground into a DP I would call it crazy. Not if you are walking say Berkman to get to get to the 6 or 7 guy though.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
soadeathdealer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
Really even if say Adam Everett was the next guy up? I wouldn't say never. It depends a lot on how is at the plate and who the next hitter is. No one would walk to get to Pujols but maybe if the next guy was batter would Humberto Quintero I might consider it. No if they are walking the guy before Barry Bonds, Albert Pujols, or Mark McGuire to try to get one of the big sluggers to ground into a DP I would call it crazy. Not if you are walking say Berkman to get to get to the 6 or 7 guy though.

yup exactly . im mean your behind and theres a guy on 3rd and only one out and the guy that's up is a good hitter and the guy after him isn't why wouldn't u walk the guy to try for a double player when the guy on third will score on any ball in the OF that's put into play that's not shallow in the first place. at least with one guy on first and an ok hitter on u have a chance to get out of the inner with a play in the in field . this is a stratagy that is in use at every level

Leagues

OOTP

DDSPF

WWPF- Miami

CSFL- Tampa

DDSCF

Old 01-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #16
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
re: intentional walks - I respectfully disagree. The double play is less important than setting up a potential three-run homerun in that example. I don't think there is a single manager in the MLB who would do that. If the score was reversed and the pitching team was down 4-0, it would absolutely make sense. I have seen other instances and should have kept those details - perhaps I will do so going forward and add to the OP. I will iterate again that there has been great, significant progress in this area since OOTP10, which is much appreciated.
Managers did this anytime Barry Bonds was up. Would you rather the score be 4-2, 1 out or get Jeff Kent to GIDP?
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
This is 1 that I at this point agree with sim on but more testing must be done. So far 16 runners have scored to tie or win the game from 3rd on either a WP or a PB. 16 runners in 65 games probably isnt that bad, but I am just counting opposing teams I play and my team is 13 game over .500 with 2 decent catchers. I also have 3 sinker ball pitchers on my team which may inflate this.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #18
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
The point I'm making is that you have no evidence that PB and WP occur more often with men on third than with any other bases occupied state. Asking for a fix for an unproven problem is ridiculous.
That I can't argue with, but I could care less whether the runner on 1st goes to 2B or 3B and I win. Many people who have noticed the runner on 3B issue? only care when they tie or win the game.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #19
soadeathdealer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
Managers did this anytime Barry Bonds was up. Would you rather the score be 4-2, 1 out or get Jeff Kent to GIDP?

yup exactly my point . Its a strategy use in all level of baseball . we used it back in the High school days and i have used it when i use to play AAU , my buddies used it in College and my hitting coaches / teams catching coach used the strategy in the MLB. So its used now i could under stand if like Bonds was on deck and u walk a ok hitter to get to Bonds and try for a double play ,you know unless Bonds had the worst avg against that pitcher which is like very very rare and still an iffy thing to do .

Leagues

OOTP

DDSPF

WWPF- Miami

CSFL- Tampa

DDSCF

Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #20
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Take detailed notes of every time that a WP or PB happens when a runner was on third, then do the same for 2nd and 1st, do this over a 1000 games keeping note of who was pitching their ratings as well as for the runners and batter then compare it to real MLB figures. That's one way to test it and without testing it is only opinion and means nothing.

in my opinion the umps cheat to make my team lose but that doesn't make it true
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote