Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
You really can't make a judgment on any injury setting based on comparisons of the first two months of your simulation vs the first two months of any real life season.

You can, but it'd be a bogus assumption.
I agree. It's hard to test definitely, but at this point, I am going off of around a full season of OOTP13 and I must say that OOTP11 observations play into it.

I think Low is closer to 2011 MLB than Classic, but with not enough smaller injuries. Completely observational and untested.
simcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I get what you mean about too many long injuries, but there is no way the low setting is anywhere close to modern day.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I get what you mean about too many long injuries, but there is no way the low setting is anywhere close to modern day.
I'm not convinced either - it's hard because it is hard to measure the standard (I'm not sure where I could get total DL days for MLB) and it's hard to measure it in OOTP (same thing). In addition, I'm dealing with a limited data set:

I used low and have played out 4 months. I have had the following injuries (this is not a comprehensive list):

1. starting 2B out 4 months
  2. best bench player (backup IF at all 4 spots) out 6-7 weeks
  3. #2 starter out 2 weeks and 3 weeks in two different stints
  4. starting 3B out 6 weeks
  5. starting RF out 4 weeks and 3 weeks in two different stints

This seems about right to me, maybe even a bit too harsh. It's funny, because there have been about the same amount of day-to-day injuries, when there should be more of those types of injuries. So for me, low seems reasonable based off the limited sample size, where even Classic seems super harsh.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't even attempt to try and test actual DL days. What game is going to mirror that? Your best bet is to test trying to get close to the actual number of injuries.

Worrying about days on the DL is a bit OCD, IMO.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #25
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I wouldn't even attempt to try and test actual DL days. What game is going to mirror that? Your best bet is to test trying to get close to the actual number of injuries.

Worrying about days on the DL is a bit OCD, IMO.
I don't have a big issue with the frequency of injuries in Classic, I have an issue with the number of sever injuries. Measuring by number of injuries wouldn't address this.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #26
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Tweaking the frequency setting is not going to adjust the severity of injuries. You'll have to do some modding on the injuries file if you want to have a shot at turning severe injuries down. My advice is lower the frequency and then look at it again after some time.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Tweaking the frequency setting is not going to adjust the severity of injuries. You'll have to do some modding on the injuries file if you want to have a shot at turning severe injuries down. My advice is lower the frequency and then look at it again after some time.
Thanks for this - I did not realize that lowering the injury setting only affects the frequency and not the severity.

I have no idea how to modify the injuries file.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcrazy View Post
Thanks for this - I did not realize that lowering the injury setting only affects the frequency and not the severity.

I have no idea how to modify the injuries file.
Search the forum, someone made an alternate injury file.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #29
Matson67
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have noticed one change in 12 from 11..

I just leave the injury settings on the default.. The only game I change the injury settings on is BM..

I notice in 12 there aren't as many career-ending concussions like I had in 11..
Matson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #30
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Sim, this is where you run into problems. There is no realistic or unrealistic in this matter. I wasn't complaining, and I don't see Cobb's constant trips to the DL as a problem. I'm playing historical with no recalc and development turned on. Therefore, Ty Cobb is Ty Cobb only by the ratings he enters the game with. OOTP doesn't determine injuries based on a players actual games played and oh how I'm happy it doesn't.

For my replay, Ty Cobb is injury prone. Sure, I was hoping to see if he could get 4000+ hits, but now I have to wonder if he will be able to reach 3000. I'm up to 08/14/1921 and he has 2406. He's hitting .396 over 51 games, but he's once again on the DL. He's 34 years old so his clock is ticking.

Since this is replay, OOTP's injury system is 100% realistic, as it is the only reality my league knows.
I play similar to your style. I just traded for Ichiro in 2006. He has only 1 season (2001) of more then 135 games. No 200 hit seasons, in fact only 1 150 hit season. does have a career avg of .365 though vs .326 IRL.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #31
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcrazy View Post
I agree. It's hard to test definitely, but at this point, I am going off of around a full season of OOTP13 and I must say that OOTP11 observations play into it.

I think Low is closer to 2011 MLB than Classic, but with not enough smaller injuries. Completely observational and untested.
Hey why are you so special I dont even have 13 yet and I am on the BETA team?
Low is too low, I use normal for 2006 in my 4 leagues. I have some severe injuries and some minor injuries.
Although this is untested, I believe the less players you have in your organization the more severe the injuries and more frequent the injuries are.
I have used low for leagues prior to the '70's.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
I play similar to your style. I just traded for Ichiro in 2006. He has only 1 season (2001) of more then 135 games. No 200 hit seasons, in fact only 1 150 hit season. does have a career avg of .365 though vs .326 IRL.
I think stuff like this adds flavor to a league. For me, it brings a league to life.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #33
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyer View Post
I had a pitcher in a fictional league back when I was running OOTP08 that was the classic junkballer...

...Over those 6+ seasons, he had more walks than strikeouts, his WHIP was ugly, but he just didn't give up runs... never seen any other OOTP player consistently defy the mathematics of his ability...
This is why I love the "baseball card" feature that was introduced in more recent versions of the game. It's very useful in preserving memories like this one.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #34
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Search the forum, someone made an alternate injury file.
I can't find it, do you have a link? Have you used it? If so, what are your experiences with it?