Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

What Did I Do Wrong?

I missed something in setting up a new historical game in which I started in 1946 and added a couple of expansion teams, with plans to add two more every four years or so until I get to 24.

However, I noticed that Vancouver, one of the new teams, was operating in such a stingy manner that they were not signing players and ended up losing Jacques Plante, among others, to free agency. Did I miss something in the settings to avoid something like this happening? Also, am I going slow enough to avoid fictional players? In addition, should I load graphics for potential expansion teams into the game before I add those teams? Finally, is it better to add teams from the historical teams tab than say, Indianapolis from the WHA or Brooklyn?

I've watched Jeff's Canucks video a couple of time to see how he did it, but I must be a little thick.

Thanks for your help. Can't wait for FHM7.
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Nope, nothing in the settings to avoid that.
It should say at the top of one of teh league editing screens howmany teams you can add before fictional players kick in. However, you may be thinning out the talent pool if you add teams too fast.
No harm in loading the graphics early. If you do, they'll be waiting there the minute you create the teamn, and you won't have to restart the program to load them into your game.
All the historical teams menu does is fill in names, arenas and colors, which is all thing syou cando manually. So it's basicly saving you 5 minutes of work. But doesn't effect anything either way.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
Nope, nothing in the settings to avoid that.
It should say at the top of one of teh league editing screens howmany teams you can add before fictional players kick in. However, you may be thinning out the talent pool if you add teams too fast.
No harm in loading the graphics early. If you do, they'll be waiting there the minute you create the teamn, and you won't have to restart the program to load them into your game.
All the historical teams menu does is fill in names, arenas and colors, which is all thing syou cando manually. So it's basicly saving you 5 minutes of work. But doesn't effect anything either way.

Thanks for the help. Guess the only way to avoid what happened with Vancouver is to take over the team temporarily.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
reverist
Major Leagues

I will say if you started with six teams in 1946, immediately added two expansion teams and added two every four years, you would have 20 teams in 1970 (when there were only 14 IRL), and 24 in 1978 (when there were only 17 IRL). My prediction is if you were running with real historical rosters (rather than random debut or something where you have all of NHL history) you'll end up having fictional players well before you complete your expansion. If you added two teams every six seasons, you'd have 10 teams in 1952, 16 in 1970, 20 in 1982, and 24 in 1994. You could always expand by two every six seasons until 1982, then expand by two teams every two seasons, meaning you'd hit 24 teams in 1986 (slightly early).
reverist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:39 PM   #5
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverist View Post
I will say if you started with six teams in 1946, immediately added two expansion teams and added two every four years, you would have 20 teams in 1970 (when there were only 14 IRL), and 24 in 1978 (when there were only 17 IRL). My prediction is if you were running with real historical rosters (rather than random debut or something where you have all of NHL history) you'll end up having fictional players well before you complete your expansion. If you added two teams every six seasons, you'd have 10 teams in 1952, 16 in 1970, 20 in 1982, and 24 in 1994. You could always expand by two every six seasons until 1982, then expand by two teams every two seasons, meaning you'd hit 24 teams in 1986 (slightly early).

Thank you. I finally decided to go back to 1944 and be adding two teams every six years. You've given me a great idea on speeding it up in later years. Now if I could just get past the game's penchant for not accepting logo and sweater files for teams on occasion. Really want the Phoenix Roadrunners in, but the game just doesn't seem to want to recognize it no matter what I try. Didn't seem to be a problem in previous versions. Hope it doesn't continue into FHM7.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Make sure the files are in .png format and sized correctly (151x151 pixels for logos, 1024x1024 for jerseys) Also make sure they are named correctly, with underscores _ in the file name where sapces should be.
They also need to be in the appropriate folder under saved games/(name of your game)
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
Make sure the files are in .png format and sized correctly (151x151 pixels for logos, 1024x1024 for jerseys) Also make sure they are named correctly, with underscores _ in the file name where sapces should be.
They also need to be in the appropriate folder under saved games/(name of your game)

Thanks again. I definitely do that. It has happened nearly every game I've played. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, no discernible pattern at all. The game just will not display anything but the generic NHL logo for one or more teams.