Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #1
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Putting together a plan for PT22

In a previous post, I already mentioned I would be creating three free-to-play teams with the intention of joining the "Our League" (assuming it continues with the next version). I thought I would share my thoughts (assuming anyone other than me is interested lol).

First the easy part. My three teams will be the (1) Gettysburg Bullets, (2) Cleveland Greys, and (3) Baltimore Barons.

And, my goals...

(1) turnover the roster as soon as possible to replace all live cards and/or any others not allowed in the OL. I realize this "wholesale" approach to quickly turn over the roster will probably cost me some initial advantage - some would argue squeezing every PP out of the turnover and joining the OL later would be a better option - but I simply want to get into the OL at the start and refocus my attention to improvements as early as possible.

(2) Since the OL is a no-money league, earning achievements is critical, thus I'll be trying my best to optimize those cards that will pull in points. This goal, obviously, is more luck that skill, so success will be hard to quantify. I will also try and earn PPs through tournaments and collections best as I am able.

(3) I will start a thread documenting my roster changes for all three teams - not because I think I have any valuable knowledge of how to do this - but because I think the discussion and comments might be useful for me as well and the readers.

I'm going this route this year because an FTP team in Perfect Team must not only spend countless hours watching the daily grind - but also not make many mistakes. I do not have the hours, nor am I immune to mistakes - sometimes multiple ones lol.

It would be interesting if a few other players would document their journey as well - it could lead to raising the knowledge bar of all players just a bit, and make the game more enjoyable.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I can document my journey right now. One team only as I have found multiple teams distracting, time-consuming, and mistake-prone. Have you ever seen the card you've waited for for weeks at a great price and then in your excitement buy it now only to realize you are in one of your alts? One team, because I have only one goal and it's not to have 'fun', but to win PL without spending money. (I do have fun, though). Not only that, but if I want a trophy I have to win in the first game year! Winning PL in year 2 is a second-rate achievement--no trophy for you! To do that, I need to raise 8 million points and buy when prices are low which means doing nothing** with my main team for a long time. Building up my tournament team and then spamming the appropriate quick tourneys as often as I can is a strong move. The goal here is to win 100 packs a week between that and freebies like twitch drops. 3500 packs after 35 weeks is roughly 3.5 million points. Another 3.5 million comes from flipping cards. Finally, if I do it right, my main team will still be in rookie after 35 weeks, and buying the high-power, high-eye team and pitchers with high stuff all at once, I can make another million in achievement points by the time diamond league is reached 7 weeks later. That'll leave me a tiny window to reach and win PL before time runs out.

**Some people have figured out how to score and give up 15 runs a game in rookie and never promote, nor even qualify for the playoffs, but I'm not planning to do this, although teams I've discovered doing this have not been banned, so I guess it is OK to do this.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Since there are now two posts on the subject of F2P strategy, I'll comment that the thing which elevated my team this year was medium term targetted speculation. You get insane returns, it's frequently not hard to do (who could have guessed that TOTD was all top WAR guys... well pretty much everyone who checked), and you don't need to make any sacrifices to do it. I hit diamond about as early as was possible, stayed there (or perfect) all year, and still was the first F2P to win perfect.

It's not like you have to play completely perfectly to do this either. I made lots of mistakes: missing out on many speculation opportunities, buying wrong stuff regularly, and I never hit that big packed card or tourney SE to get some breathing room.

Just make good decisions. Don't buy packs, unless you have a big bankroll and reason to believe you net PP from them on average (sometimes true, but mostly not true). Do collections which give you more PP than you put in (counting toppers!). Find a corner of the AH that works for you, find a tourney niche, get packs from streams, and play to have fun (which in my case meant trying to win the WS every week).

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I'm hoping more people join the discussion. One thing, I think, will become obvious as the discussion continues - there are different kinds of PT players.

I'm not just talking money-versus-free, but also goals variations.

When PT19 started, theme teams were the rage, but many of us that tried that route soon found out we had to also accept that rising through the ranks was going to severely limited.

Tournaments and Collections gave us the promise of getting cards that we could only otherwise obtain by spending sizeable amounts of money, and various levels of success surfaced there as well.

Some folks want a Perfect League Trophy above all, some want card collections reminding them of when they were kids.

One thing OOTP has been very successful with is giving all of us something to play for...

As opposed to becoming "the best of the best" I'm more of a casual player. I can accept my style of play will (at best) get me as far as Gold and still enjoy the exploration for better players, and the investigation of why an "89" first baseman is better than a "93" one.

Right now, the traffic on the board is almost nil, but I do hope if you have an opinion or comment, you'll join the discussion until we get to open our first beta packs March 23rd.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
The_SouthTrain
Bat Boy

Well, I guess I'll hop in. I got OOTPB 21 about month after it came out and first time playin as well. Now a year after, I love the game still. I did go through a period of not playing it at all as I did get frustrated since I haven't put any money into PP. So, just riding it as a F2P. The team building was slow for a while.

I am a casual player too that finds it interesting to find a style of play that suits your team and even learn about past players as well. Trying to find a combo that works.

It will be interesting to hear more about PT22 and see where they go with it and what tweaks can be made. I will definitely get the game and look forward to playing it in the future
The_SouthTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #6
daves
Hall Of Famer

What is the Perfect Team Draft?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:27 AM   #7
dboeyr12007
Minors (Triple A)

They have just said there was a new mode. The details of how it functions has not been released yet, but it sounds interesting

dboeyr12007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
GoCubsGo16
Bat Boy

My tentative strategy right now is to start a team at launch to get the "lay of the land" and figure out what, if, anything, has changed about the way the games works. Then I'll come in with my "main" team after a few weeks and with (hopefully) the benefit of the that knowledge. Also hoping to dodge as many of the early whales as possible. I didn't start until week 5 in the game this year, and both benefited (most of the whales had already moved up) and probably moved up too quickly before really learning the game.

Theme team (retooled from Chicago-themed to the 1990's)
GoCubsGo16 is offline   Reply With Quote