Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Blank League/Import Players Manually

Hi all,

I'm not new to OOTP but I want to try something I've been able to do in other baseball sims. Essentially, I want to create a blank league, i.e, a league with teams but no players and then manually import players. I know how to import players - using the text file method is appropriate for this task but I have no idea how to set up a league with empty rosters.

I really appreciate any guidance on this. I have this odd feeling that it is something quite obvious and I am missing it.

Best,
Beatles
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Create the league you want, structure and everything. Once you have it completed, go to the league setup, use the "Clear Rosters" option.

Do that for each league by selecting it from the drop down, top right. Each minor league level you have, etc.

Once all players are released, they'll be in the FA pool, go to the Free Agents page, mass select and delete all players.

You now have a league with no players.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Create the league you want, structure and everything. Once you have it completed, go to the league setup, use the "Clear Rosters" option.

Do that for each league by selecting it from the drop down, top right. Each minor league level you have, etc.

Once all players are released, they'll be in the FA pool, go to the Free Agents page, mass select and delete all players.

You now have a league with no players.
Hi Bluenoser,

Thank you very much! Have a great baseball season!!

Beatles
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
jack805td
Bat Boy

I wonder if OOTP could add the ability to clear out all the players/staff in the whole game/database from the manager's menu? Instead of league by league...

Last edited by jack805td; 03-31-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add the staff
jack805td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
SB1985
Minors (Single A)

Forgive my ignorance but if you do all the steps above and make everyone free agents would you be able to fill out the rosters with real players off the free agents list? Or would you still have to do an expansion draft with fake players?
SB1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
Dezi_36
Bat Boy

I'm trying to do similar...Is there a way to set up a game with the number of leagues, divisions, teams, etc. and then add players I want manually? Basically go into the "player database" so to speak and add any player I want throughout history? So for instance I could make a team that has Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, Josh Gibson, Mike Trout, Brooks Robinson, Cy Young, Sandy Koufax, Corey Kluber, etc.? And other teams would be a made similarly.

I feel like I was able to get to a point where I have the league/game established, rosters are empty and I can get to a draft, but the players are all fictional rather than historical.

Last edited by Dezi_36; 04-01-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Dezi_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #7
Big Train
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezi_36 View Post
I'm trying to do similar...Is there a way to set up a game with the number of leagues, divisions, teams, etc. and then add players I want manually? Basically go into the "player database" so to speak and add any player I want throughout history? So for instance I could make a team that has Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, Josh Gibson, Mike Trout, Brooks Robinson, Cy Young, Sandy Koufax, Corey Kluber, etc.? And other teams would be a made similarly.

I feel like I was able to get to a point where I have the league/game established, rosters are empty and I can get to a draft, but the players are all fictional rather than historical.
Yes, On the free agent screen there is a way to import historical players and you also have the option to make them available for the next amateur draft. You will need the DB code for each player you want to import which is available on the player's Baseball Reference page.
Big Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Dezi_36
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Train View Post
Yes, On the free agent screen there is a way to import historical players and you also have the option to make them available for the next amateur draft. You will need the DB code for each player you want to import which is available on the player's Baseball Reference page.
Thanks, I'll give it a look.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
SPBJT
Minors (Double A)

If you have the player code and year for the players, there is a way to mass-import historical players into the DB. I will be doing this for a project I am working on. Does anyone know what the MAX number of players you can import via text into the database for a game?
SPBJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Dezi_36
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPBJT View Post
If you have the player code and year for the players, there is a way to mass-import historical players into the DB. I will be doing this for a project I am working on. Does anyone know what the MAX number of players you can import via text into the database for a game?
I don't, but I assume it would be as many as you need as long as the list of players you are importing match up with the master file. I just did this yesterday for a league I'm doing, I think I had 528 players imported. I saved myself a couple of headaches of doing a vlookup of First and Last names in Excel of the player codes I had in my .txt file compared to the OOTP master file to make sure I didn't have any errors...I had 4 which I easily corrected. Unfortunately one I didn't catch was importing Larry Parrish instead of Lance Parrish, but I think I can pring Lance in and then to a drop of Larry and sign Lance.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
Dezi_36
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Train View Post
After a little bit of trial and error I was able to get it to work. I was trying to import from the wrong spot within the game, but once I found where I needed to be worked like a charm.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, you can't create by importing a player.csv (whatever game names the export file for this data).

player creation functions within game only (via txt file with playerIDs is different than the export/import "players.csv" function)

they match up to baseball ref. also can open up the "master" csv in data folders to find the names too. it's a very large file, so something like 'notpad' isn't going to work well, lol.

use a free dB program or spreadsheet and you can always cut/snip/past and export the table to a useable txt file for the player creation (file import option) function in game... just in case -- not the original file of course... make a copy to mess with.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #13
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPBJT View Post
you can import as many as you like or need with a text file. i've done as many as 350 players into a draft pool.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

oh, you can skip steps -- "list all mlb players" then select include minors. select all and delete.. .then select all fa and delete. think that includes all in one list for you. at worst have to select all and delete on fa list too.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #15
tiger61
Bat Boy

Am new to OOTP and would like to draft individual players from different years. What is the text method of doing this? And is this the easiest way?
Thanks, Jim
tiger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:53 AM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

tiger, you may like the random debut league option... unless you want to specifically dictate which historical players are availabe for the draft.

check manual for "random debut" that is the syntax they use for sure, so an easy search on how to do that. i don't do it, so i'm not being stingy with information or anything. it does exist, though.

the historical import -- go to various player lists, like FAs. under available actions yis an import player option... can read guid from there on specifics.

basically some file with the alphanumeric player ID and the year you want them imported from. comma delimted, i believe... there are threads with instructions and possibly the manaul if updated and comprehensive enough.

e.g. nolan ryan:

ryanno01, 1985
and more names, year

is more needed? i don't recall. that is reference info readily available, though.

there's a master player file somewher ein "Data" folders master.csv? not sure if that's it or not. anyway you can chop that down and re-use as a import list if doing some insanely large quantity of player import as opposed to a handful.

can look up playerID on baseball reference for the most part. that's where i got nolan ryan's.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-08-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #17
Dezi_36
Bat Boy

On my installation the Master.csv file, that NoOne mentions above, is located at:

C:\Users\Home\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 20\stats\Master.csv

Tip: I've saved a copy of this file in a totally separate directory on my PC so I don't do something stupid and corrupt this file within the installed environment.

I just did an import of 528 players to the teams I had set up in my league, I created an import.csv file i Excel. It's just one column and the syntax was:

playerid,year,team

The player id is just that, you can get it from the second columns of the Master.csv file, or from the baseball-reference.com. For example Babe Ruth is 'ruthba01' (https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ruthba01.shtml). The year is the year you want the player to come in, for all of mine I used the year they debuted in the league which I believe dictates their age in your league. And team is the abbreviation of the team you want to add them to.

Example - Babe Ruth
ruthba01,1919,DAY - (note: no spaces before or after the commas)