Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Holy Smokes PIM batman

So, since the newest patch, PIMs are out of control, at least in historical games, making it unplayable.

After playing a game in Edmonton where the Oilers had 83 PIMs in the game, I followed suit with a game in Calgary where my team got 70 PIMs. So, I backtracked. Turns out the win I got in Buffalo just before those two games was thanks to an incredibly unlikely outcome in the PIM department...

Please fix this...this makes the game unplayable.
Attached Images

Last edited by eldur00; 11-06-2018 at 05:31 PM.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

I ran a full historical test yesterday, and then just ran a 92-93 test now. In both cases, the 92-93 PIM stats were within 10% of where they should be (a little on the high side, mainly due to an issue with a few high-playing time defencemen getting goon roles when they shouldn't and consequently very high PIM numbers, which I think I've worked out how to fix.)

Are you using a lot of aggressive/physical roles and tactical settings? That will drive the number of penalties up, and combined with an era where teams averaging 30+ PIM per game wasn't unheard of, a few penalty totals like this would be within the realm of possibility in a small sample size. But in general, historical penalty totals are about where they should be.

Edit: now that I look a little further, while the penalty totals are relatively normal, power plays have jumped considerably. Going to have to investigate this further, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited by JeffR; 11-06-2018 at 06:29 PM.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

OK, I see what's going on, something is working backwards from the way it's supposed to, and the effect gets magnified in high-PIM years like the 80's and 90's. Probably going to have to hotfix it.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I ran a full historical test yesterday, and then just ran a 92-93 test now. In both cases, the 92-93 PIM stats were within 10% of where they should be (a little on the high side, mainly due to an issue with a few high-playing time defencemen getting goon roles when they shouldn't and consequently very high PIM numbers, which I think I've worked out how to fix.)

Are you using a lot of aggressive/physical roles and tactical settings? That will drive the number of penalties up, and combined with an era where teams averaging 30+ PIM per game wasn't unheard of, a few penalty totals like this would be within the realm of possibility in a small sample size. But in general, historical penalty totals are about where they should be.

Well, it wasn't like that prior to the patch where you have increased the number of penalties. I've bought this game since the first iteration, I always play historical starting in 1992 as the Sens and never saw that before to that degree.

I'm aware teams would take more penalties in those days. My point is that it was never that bad prior to that patch.

The NHL record for single season PIM by one player is 472. My current leader in this save is on pace for 905.

While the overall numbers are ok generally speaking (Buffalo averages 40 PIMs a game, the average for that year in the NHL was 22.5 so that would be high) I also have many teams in the higher 30s.

The issues is that the overall number is not too terribly out of whack ; it's the game to game distribution that's the issue. Many games are completely lopsided, way more than it should. 50 PIMs to 0. 68 PIMs to 2. Those are not outliers. They occur pretty much daily.

I understand the overall numbers at the end of the season may be close to realistic, but please double check under the hood in your save ; there shouldn't be a game a day where one team took 20ish minor penalties to the other team's zero.

EDIT : Thanks, you noticed what I meant while I was typing this

Last edited by eldur00; 11-06-2018 at 06:58 PM.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, what it appears to have done is reversed the even-up tendency of the referees to instead create a snowball effect where, if one team gets enough of an advantage, it spirals out of control and the ref just keeps piling penalties on to their opponent. Oddly, the net effect on league totals is more or less neutral, it just makes for some very weird individual games, particularly in leagues where a lot of penalties are called. In a relatively low-PIM league like the modern NHL or fictional leagues with default penalty levels, the problem hides itself better, since teams don't get several PP's ahead of their opponents as often.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
Kinsella19
Minors (Double A)

This isn't just a historical problem. In my user games my opponent is now constantly getting 20+ power play opportunities a game compared to my 3 after the recent patch....
Kinsella19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:14 AM   #7
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
OK, I see what's going on, something is working backwards from the way it's supposed to, and the effect gets magnified in high-PIM years like the 80's and 90's. Probably going to have to hotfix it.

I know that this is more important but can you please fix also the 'blank pop-up' bug wich is still not fixed? Thanks , Gerry
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #8
IamJustin
Minors (Single A)

Simmed 3 days of preseason this morning in my fantasy league. A few teams had over 50 minutes of penalties and like 20+ power plays a game. I know the teams play more physical, but is this working as intended or will this even out throughout th we season once the owners adjust to not be so aggressive?
IamJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
bjernagris
Minors (Single A)

Same issue in our online league, seen some games with 100+ PIM for a team. Good to see you are aware of it.

iNHL is the longest running FHM online league in the world

- Semi-realistic, modern-day NHL league
- Running since 2015, currently in our 30th season (two restarts)
- Active, friendly community
- Own research team adding real-life prospects to make drafts more realistic
- Recently moved to FHM10
- Read more and apply HERE
bjernagris is offline   Reply With Quote