Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Klaus 74
Minors (Single A)

Historical Rookies Option

I have played the Standard MLB game for six years and am finally making the complete switch to Historical and would like to get the settings just right. First, from the manual, is the description to the option "Automatically Import Historical Rookies"......

"If this box is checked, each year the actual rookies from the historical database will be imported into your league automatically. If you want historical rookies to be assigned to the same teams they played for in real life, you must disable the first-year player draft in the Amateur Draft Rules section of the Rules screen. Rookies will be imported on the first day of the preseason. If this box is unchecked, all historical rookies will be dumped into the first-year player draft pool."

So now, I know that I don't want the historical rookies to be assigned to the same teams that happened in real life, so I have the first year player draft enabled. So this leaves the beginning and end of the paragraph. If the box is checked the actual rookies are imported, which is what I want, yet if unchecked they are dumped in the first year draft pool. Isn't that the same thing because if the box is checked where else are they? Free agents?

I really want to enjoy the switch to Historical but just need to understand this better and am asking for some help as to what is the better option.
Klaus 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus 74 View Post
"Automatically Import Historical Rookies"......

"If this box is checked, each year the actual rookies from the historical database will be imported into your league automatically. If you want historical rookies to be assigned to the same teams they played for in real life, you must disable the first-year player draft in the Amateur Draft Rules section of the Rules screen. Rookies will be imported on the first day of the preseason. If this box is unchecked, all historical rookies will be dumped into the first-year player draft pool."

So now, I know that I don't want the historical rookies to be assigned to the same teams that happened in real life, so I have the first year player draft enabled. So this leaves the beginning and end of the paragraph. If the box is checked the actual rookies are imported, which is what I want, yet if unchecked they are dumped in the first year draft pool. Isn't that the same thing because if the box is checked where else are they? Free agents?

I really want to enjoy the switch to Historical but just need to understand this better and am asking for some help as to what is the better option.
you've got it right. If you have a draft selected with Auto import historical rookies, the players go to the draft pool. If no draft, you can select if they go to Free Agency or to their historic MINOR league team.
Just depends on how you want your game to go.
Personally i don't use the draft until the 1960's (if i ever get that far again.) In my current game, rookies go their historical teams.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Klaus 74
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
you've got it right. If you have a draft selected with Auto import historical rookies, the players go to the draft pool. If no draft, you can select if they go to Free Agency or to their historic MINOR league team.
Just depends on how you want your game to go.
Personally i don't use the draft until the 1960's (if i ever get that far again.) In my current game, rookies go their historical teams.
I think I have settled upon the notion of the players going into the draft pool for any era, and I have the option for 'Auto Import Historical Rookies' checked. I'm second guessing a lot (I'm a senior, lol) but what changes if I unchecked that option and left the draft enabled? According to the last sentence per manual, they go there anyways and to me it seems like that whole sentence should have been omitted instead.

Last edited by Klaus 74; 04-01-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i think i left out part of MY sentence in the above note:
they don't go into the draft pool if you don't have that box checked. They go into the free agent pool or to the teams they historically were assigned to in the minor leagues.
They only go into the draft if you have selected to have a draft.
Sorry for the error, i too an a senior. so we can blame it on old-timers disease.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 04-01-2017 at 07:06 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Klaus 74
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
i think i left out part of MY sentence in the above note:
they don't go into the draft pool if you don't have that box checked. They go into the free agent pool or to the teams they historically were assigned to in the minor leagues.
They only go into the draft if you have selected to have a draft.
Sorry for the error, i too an a senior. so we can blame it on old-timers disease.
That clarifies it for me perfectly. Thank you...your help is most appreciated.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

You should try it with historical minors on. It's pretty cool to watch them show up with real players (including the Fed Lg) and then there is no guarantee where the star players end up in the big leagues since most minor league teams aren't affiliated yet. Lou Gehrig starred for the Pirates in my league. Paul Waner for the Whitesox, Lloyd Waner for the Yankees and so on.
crawdad5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
Klaus 74
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad5000 View Post
You should try it with historical minors on. It's pretty cool to watch them show up with real players (including the Fed Lg) and then there is no guarantee where the star players end up in the big leagues since most minor league teams aren't affiliated yet. Lou Gehrig starred for the Pirates in my league. Paul Waner for the Whitesox, Lloyd Waner for the Yankees and so on.
Historical minors 'On' for sure. I think I finally managed to set all the options correctly for my tastes. What I like to do is immediately after I am exiting the 'Advanced' set up by clicking 'Start Game' I still go into the Game Settings as there are a few more changes that can be made. Also I still like by Amateur Drafts in June so when, for example, I want to GM the '48 Pirates I will have the draft set for around June 2 of '49 but take over the team right at the end of the regular season of '48.

Wishing you have a safe and Happy Easter.