Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Changing Team Focus?

Can this only be done at certain times of the year, or anytime? Where can you do this? I am thinking since I am late in the season, I may not be able to make a change.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

IIRC you can do it any time.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

IIRC you have to be in commissioner mode and select "Edit Finances" to go to the option to change it, but yeah, any time I think.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

Pretty sure the focus is set by your owner, assuming of course you play with owners active.
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I do..have owners enabled...but I always thought it was up to the GM...can't find where though...so if it's up to the owner, that's fine.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
drhay53
Major Leagues

I'm pretty sure the owner does it, I've never seen an option to change it and I have seen it change for my team without me doing it.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

I believe this version the owner manages team focus, where in previous versions the GM/Coach did.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUPIKE View Post
I believe this version the owner manages team focus, where in previous versions the GM/Coach did.
Right...which is why I was confused...I like it this way better....I wish the same would be done with ticket prices.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
drhay53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Right...which is why I was confused...I like it this way better....I wish the same would be done with ticket prices.
I agree on ticket prices except for one issue; the owner may not really know the direction you plan to take with the offseason after the winter meetings. You may be planning to blow things up before or even during spring training (when teams get injuries and are willing to give up a little more for a replacement). The owner would set ticket prices based on whatever your team looks like at the end of the winter meetings, but you might have set them a bit lower or higher based on what your plan is for the next season.

Otherwise I agree, I wish there was a way to let the owner or AGM control ticket prices without handing over full financial control.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhay53 View Post
I agree on ticket prices except for one issue; the owner may not really know the direction you plan to take with the offseason after the winter meetings. You may be planning to blow things up before or even during spring training (when teams get injuries and are willing to give up a little more for a replacement). The owner would set ticket prices based on whatever your team looks like at the end of the winter meetings, but you might have set them a bit lower or higher based on what your plan is for the next season.

Otherwise I agree, I wish there was a way to let the owner or AGM control ticket prices without handing over full financial control.
Perhaps GMs should have to submit a yearly plan to be approved or disapproved by the owner. This could somehow work in conjunction with owner goals.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
drhay53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Perhaps GMs should have to submit a yearly plan to be approved or disapproved by the owner. This could somehow work in conjunction with owner goals.
Some sort of owner interaction would be cool.

However, I hesitate greatly to go down the path of introducing interactions into the game. I've played football manager for years and it's just so hard to make it interesting without just turning into pure tedium, and 'knowing the right answer' to any interaction.

It would be alot better if you could get better feedback about what ticket price you're setting. My budget projections don't change when I change the ticket price, but in real life, I'm sure teams have a pretty good idea about how elastic their product really is. So I'd like a lot more feedback on ticket prices.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

So what exactly does it mean when my focus as become "Build a Dynasty?"

Is that three consecutive WS wins? What is it?
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 AM   #13
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Bump... hoping someone knows the definition of "Build a dynasty"
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
well, then you'll make about half as much as you could off of gate revenue, though. the AI is terrible at pricing tickets.

14market siz, if that matters, and 54k stadium can clear 200M in revenue. that's with a draft pick trading league, i bet with fewer wins it's still 180+. the AI might get to 110/120M. you could pay ~2 extra world class baseball players per year, if you control it.

if you got a "winning" team, test out max price you can get on fri/sat every 10-20wins or so. if you're .500, don't bother. go beyond a minor dip in attendance. keep upping it to make sure it doesnt spring back up - i've seen it where you go $2 dollars up and it loses attendance, but +5-7 and it jumps back up to ~95% filled (i shoot for 51-53k out of 54.2k). during the weekdays you can either let it ride or drop it down - easy to calculate if it's worth your while. do the math and price it where it makes you the most money. you can even make a simple graph to show a break even analysis.

As far as the focus... i think that's mostly internal... what offers are made to you, maybe the goals from the owner (?not used here), etc... if an ai gm, it probably changes certain behaviours too in addition to how it values things in trades/signings... maybe more interested in long-term deals with kids, then going all out in FA with no care for next year (win now). a slightly longer-term approach compared to win-now.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-05-2016 at 01:56 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
DizzyDean
Bat Boy

I keep setting my team focus to build a dynasty and the AI just switches it right back to neutral. How can I prevent the AI from doing this?
DizzyDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #16
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

At the annual new year roll-over, the game always resets my team to 'neutral'. I have to remember to change it back to 'rebuilding' so teams will offer me young players instead of old duds. You do have to remember to reset this every year, something OOTP has always done. I have never found a work around.