Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

OOTP 13 Road to Release Part 4: Feature Cornucopia

OOTP 13 - The Road To Release, Part 4: Feature Cornucopia

The latest version of OOTP brings with it the promise of new features, much like the way a new baseball season brings with it the promise that any team could win the World Series. We've already covered some major new features in OOTP 13 -- the real-time sim mode, associations, expanded playoff options, the new in-game screens and the revamped user interface -- so now let's dive into the cornucopia of other new features in the game.

Screenshots taken use the second skin that comes with the game, it is called "OOTP 13 Dark". The game will come with a third skin, which will be a classic skin with a wooden look. We will have a look at it in one of the next RTR articles.

Smarter Trading AI

Have you ever worked out a trade against the AI in a solo league that was, let's say, a little one-sided in your favor? Say, like getting Albert Pujols for ten Single A scrubs with no major league potential whatsoever? Or whitewashing the AI for several three- and four-star players for a decent A-Ball prospect, several nobody veterans and loads of cash? Or tricking the AI into taking your overpaid 38-year-old veteran because it asked for a one-star Single A prospect after you used the "Make this work" option?

Well, we hope you enjoyed the fruits of those deals, because those days are over.

In OOTP 13, Trading has been dramatically revamped to provide a better system for the AI to evaluate the players involved in a trade and correctly measure their value. This brings a new level of trading realism and difficulty. You'll need to really work hard and be a smart negotiator to pull off that blockbuster, once-in-generation deal.

Did you see Moneyball? Billy Beane had to work to pull off even a simple one-for-one trade, and now so will you.

Random Historical Player Debut

Can you imagine a match-up between Cy Young and Roger Clemens? Or Babe Ruth squaring off against the Big Unit? Then get ready for the new Random Historical Debut feature in OOTP 13. This feature will allow you to fill your draft pools with the best players from baseball's past, all randomly appearing throughout your league's history. Will this year's draft feature Honus Wagner, Wade Boggs, or Prince Fielder?

But this doesn't only apply to the rookie draft! You can create a historical league filled with random players from scratch as well. Who will be available in the inaugural draft? A 28-year-old Ty Cobb maybe, or a 22-year-old Tim Lincecum? Who will be the first overall pick? Of yourse, you may start with random rosters as well if you do not want to run the inaugural draft.

The new historical random debut feature is a great new way to experience historical leagues like never before. Even if you are not into historical leagues at all you should give this a try, it is a lot of fun and you will learn more about the history of the game and its players, both the great and the unknown.

Additional Enhancements

In addition to the exciting new features we just covered, here are some of the other great new additions and improvements in OOTP 13:
  • Expansion drafts have received additional options and UI enhancements
  • Revamped pitching engine, creating more realistic players out of high school & college
  • Improved player development engine for more realistic pitcher development
  • Improved fictional player creation engine, for example featuring more realistic defensive ratings
  • Greater statistical accuracy in historical simulations
  • Added an option to alert the GM on minor league injuries as well
  • Improved the AI throughout the game
  • View cities listed under the Nation List screen on Google maps with just a single click
  • Map the locations of your favorite teams and players' cities of birth using Google Earth
  • New Player Profile enhancements, for example splitting up the player awards and histories in several categories
  • News items can now feature images
  • ...and more! We have added so many new features & tweaks, we can't even remember every single one of them. So, you'll probably find a few gems when you try out OOTP 13 on your own!

OOTP users have asked for AI improvements, League Associations, more playoff options, and additional historical features, and OOTP 13 delivers all of those and much, much more! It puts a host of new tools, a redesigned user interface and countless functional improvements under your control so you can mold and shape your mega-million-dollar major league franchise or small market independent start-up to to its maximum potential. The game is truly yours for the making. Come play it your way!

Out of the Park Baseball 13 - The Grand Slam of Baseball Sims! Pre-order your copy before the official release on April 9, 2012. Pre-order today and receive your copy on April 6, 2012!
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Good stuff.

News items can now feature images

Don't they already?
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
Good stuff.

News items can now feature images

Don't they already?
Well, what is meant here is that in the XML which contains the stories you can specify images for certain stories, for example a pitcher throwing for a story about a perfect game. However, this is not used by default, it's a feature for modders
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I just the email for it. I'm really looking forward to this. The Random Debut feature will automatically do what I had done in the past which import all time greats from different into my leagues to play against each other.

I can't wait for release.

Thanks Markus!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

I love the new skin!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a release Markus! You would introduce the random debut feature and make me start thinking about starting fresh with that.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

That random debut looks really interesting.

OK I got the answer to my previous question, but I've another one :

Will the number of players available in the openning draft and the yearly draft the same than if we do a regular historical game? By exemple a 1871 game start with 150 players available...

Last edited by AESP_pres; 03-27-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Because I got my answer in the other thread
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
I love the new skin!
Me, too!

And let's not mention ever again that I used that emoticon.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Tom the Fish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Did you see Moneyball?
Yeah, even as a casual observer of the 2002 A's I thought it was highly inaccurate.

Tom
Tom the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
  • Revamped pitching engine, creating more realistic players out of high school & college
  • Improved player development engine for more realistic pitcher development
Could anybody go more into depth on what this means?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

Random debut feature looks awesome, I've been playing around on a quickstart with the best players in history but it's nice to know you've been doing the work for me all along
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait to see the trading block now being useful, Markus mentioned in another thread that it was now working properly.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Markus ...

Thank you for all the additional features and tweaks you have shown us in what will be billed as, "The Greatest PC Baseball Game" ever ...

As you may not know, I have been a staunch supporter of one of the simpler Baseball game out there for quite awhile ... when I see these features, along with the cleaner UI layout, the talents and the depth of this forum ... changed me back to being one of the OOTP fan mates, again ... many thanks for putting in us ... the excitement in playing the Game ... in our own homes ... a place where we, each, play our version of the Field of Dreams ... thanks, again ...
Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
Brick
Minors (Triple A)

If you want to have Japanese and Negro League players in a random debut league can you use one of the fan created databases?
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewdog View Post
Could anybody go more into depth on what this means?
He touched on this on another thread and I believe what he means by that is that instead of an overload of MRs in the draft, there will be more SPs and other positions. As you may have noticed there's usually a ton of MRs and so from what I interpreted it to mean he wanted to make it more balanced and more realistic including more positions than offered previously (pitching wise at least)

The moneyball post above was hilarious. And this whole game looks amazing including the historical feature which looks absolutely fantastic. Never would have thought of it but glad its there!

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.

Last edited by DustinthePOWERHOUSE; 03-27-2012 at 07:11 PM.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

okay, thanks

Sounds good
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
blueturf
All Star Reserve

Quote:
[*]View cities listed under the Nation List screen on Google maps with just a single click[*]Map the locations of your favorite teams and players' cities of birth using Google Earth
Does this mean that the world_default file has changed structure again? How will leagues that have created fictional countries import into '13? Maybe someone from the PEBA that has been testing can speak to this...
blueturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
Phillies_WFC_2008
Minors (Double A)

Just curious, but will the Minor League Injury Notification be level dependent? And can you set the minimum injury length per level?

For instance if I wanted to be notified if a AA player is injured for more than day-to-day and my Rookie Level players if injured more than 7 days?
Phillies_WFC_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
jmount78
Major Leagues

Wow that looks great! I guess no more one sided trades like the Astros and Phillies always seem to have with Ed (I'm really a Phillie in Astros clothing) Wade!

Also, the after dark skin looks cool.
jmount78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

When it says that news items can now use images? what does that mean?