Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
G-Force
All Star Starter

I like seeing this implemented. I do cross-era/alltime rosters and dynasties and I've always rated guys based on Clay Davenport's Translated Stats, which were designed to do exactly this. Get great results but obviously the data entry into my spreadsheets is time consuming. So if it can be done as a default, all the better.

GH

Check out my Dynasty Threads

The Alltime Hockey Association
The Alltime Baseball League
Austin James: Playing For His Life (a Vietnam-era baseball drama)
The Pastime Boxing Association
G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #22
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Well it removes ballpark factors AND makes players stats neutral across all seasons in any era. 750 runs per team per year. That is why it is called Neutralized Stats.
Thank you, that was my original understanding; now I don’t have blow up my latest attempt at historical random debut. I am sure the blow up day is coming when I see something I didn’t anticipate or more likely, something I did wrong in the initial setup. Actually every time I destroy a league I get a little closer to my perfect game.
Is there a way to leave the ballpark factors in the setup?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #23
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The neutered stats then get adjusted (translated) during gameplay to whatever park someone plays in and the year you are playing. Honus Wagner in 1998 at Coors Field can sometimes put up video game stats. Christy Mathewson in the 1960's at Chavez Ravine likewise. Since it is random you never know what you might get.

Last edited by Spritze; 02-03-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
G-Force
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Thank you, that was my original understanding; now I don’t have blow up my latest attempt at historical random debut. I am sure the blow up day is coming when I see something I didn’t anticipate or more likely, something I did wrong in the initial setup. Actually every time I destroy a league I get a little closer to my perfect game.
Is there a way to leave the ballpark factors in the setup?
The neautralized stats and translated stats are different things. All a matter of what you're looking for. I find translated represents better how a player would perform If placed in a different era.

GH

Old 02-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #25
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

If random debut translated already translated stats again during gameplay what wonders might ensue? You would need to be able to turn off the built in translator to grow your own. Seems pointless but every squid in the ocean has its opinion (mostly that mammals are delicious).
Old 02-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #26
G-Force
All Star Starter

Quote:
If random debut translated already translated stats again during gameplay what wonders might ensue? You would need to be able to turn off the built in translator to grow your own. Seems pointless but every squid in the ocean has its opinion (mostly that mammals are delicious).

Oh, I just input the translated stats into the editor when i go cross era. I don't retranslate neutralized stats, that doesn't really serve a point.

And now i want calamari.

GH

Old 02-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #27
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Just reading the last two posts makes my head hurt thinking about the combinations and permutations.
Thank you G-Force and Spritze.
Now I am going to have to get a handle on translated stats over eras. Good thing I am semiretired because this may take awhile!
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #28
Bill Veeck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It’s too bad this important issue isn’t an issue for enough users!
Bill Veeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #29
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well it removes ballpark factors AND makes players stats neutral across all seasons in any era. 750 runs per team per year. That is why it is called Neutralized Stats.
Does this mean when using Neutralized Stats realistic ballpark factors can't be used? or realistic weather?
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #30
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
Oh, I just input the translated stats into the editor when i go cross era. I don't retranslate neutralized stats, that doesn't really serve a point. GH
Please explain this.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #31
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
It does not neutralize stats across eras. Even though th DB is based on a 750-run environment, the way those 750 runs are accumulated are vastly different throughout history. The neutralized stats really adjust for ballpark factors. If you want realistic play for players from different eras then you need translated statistics and even then you have to decide what era you want to translate to. The Davenport Translations translate player stats from every year to a standard environment. This is done using EQA. I have tried to find the formulas used to do this but I don't see these published anywhere.

I was planning to do a couple roster projects using these as the basis. One project with the 25 best players from every franchise, and another project with the single best team for every franchise. This of course will take quite a while to put together and can only be used for a single season.
Hey garlon,
Agree 100% with this.
I created davenport translation potential values for the top 5-600 mlb and negro historical players, bring them into my fictional worlds.
The problem with translated stats is that a 1900 pitcher may translate to 140 k in a season well below Even an average starter today. Or ty Cobb to 7 hr, well he would easily be 25 or 30 today.
The Davenport do a great job in allowing eras to mix, even though his pitcher base values are real high...I have to make all the pitchers better by a specific factor to be realistic in how ootp rates players.

My dream is a historical Davenport type db....ahhhhhhh
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #32
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Speaking for myself only, all of this is way above my pay grade. Transitional stats vs neutralized stats, ballpark effects with neutralized stats, weather effects with neutralized stats....HELP!!!!

Can somebody explain in layman's terms, please.

I just want to set up a Random Debut Historical League when OOTP 19 comes out.

Neutralized v Real (I say neutralized)
Weather (real)
Ballparks (real)
Scouting (none)
Financial (real)

I need a cheat sheet!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #33
Bill Veeck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It is confusing and I’m not sure everyone who opines is able to completely understand what is going on underneath the OOTP hood. I admire all the testing people do in order to best use players across different environments. There sure are a number of options to unearth in a number of menus, but even then I’m not sure there is set route to adjust everything.

Random historical debut is a very, very cool feature and if a rookie from 1920 comes into a 1984 environment it would be great if they were “translated” properly into that environment and at the same time their stats generated in a certain ballpark in 1920 relative to other ballparks in 1920 were park adjusted — i.e., really neutralized stats.

Then they would be park adjusted again for let’s say Busch Stadium in 1984 relative to other parks in 1984.

This all assumes you are using real stats rather then the development engine. But in doing so you can create a really valuable, interesting laboratory for different scenarios — as already hypothetized by so many OOTP users!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #34
Bill Veeck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Of course park adjustments, like L/R splits on an annual basis are fraught with peril.