Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
PoopyJoe69
Minors (Triple A)

Putting Together a Random Debut?

If I wanted to create a historical random debut league, how would I set it up so that a) I can have one level of minor leagues, and b) there is a draft. In the past, i've had problems where fictional people would be put in the draft, and I've also had problems adjusting the rosters so there's no just big reserve roster.

PS: if there's any way to include historical minor leaguers in it, I would be greatly appreciative! If not, oh well
PoopyJoe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopyJoe69 View Post
If I wanted to create a historical random debut league, how would I set it up so that a) I can have one level of minor leagues, and b) there is a draft. In the past, i've had problems where fictional people would be put in the draft, and I've also had problems adjusting the rosters so there's no just big reserve roster.

PS: if there's any way to include historical minor leaguers in it, I would be greatly appreciative! If not, oh well
Not necessarily in the order asked, but:

1) Historical minor leaguers are not currently supported with random debut historical (at least that's what I've been led to believe - Spritze can probably provide a better answer on this than me).

2) For the one level of minor leagues, I think you would set up a AAA league when you go to create your league.

3) For the draft, make sure that both the "Automatically import historical rookies" and "Use random rookies from all eras" boxes are checked on the Game Settings > League Settings > Historical > Historical Rookies section of your settings and select the minimum and maximum years of players that you want to see in your game. I use every era, but some choose to cut out 19th century baseball because the pitchers have an insane stamina level because they seemingly pitched every game for their teams. You also want to check the "Enable amateur draft" box in order to get the draft in play. That box shows up in Game Settings > League Settings > Rules > Amateur Draft Settings. Then you need to decide whether or not you want to check the "Use pre-defined draft value for AI" box. In the historical database, the game assigns values beside each player's name. The greater the player was, usually the higher that number will be, and the draft will disperse the players from highest number to lowest number for the AI teams. I use it for my games, but it's not necessary to use it for the draft to work. Then decide how many rounds you want in your draft. I use a five round draft and import enough players for five rounds, and I get plenty of players. Every random debut game starts with 44 players times the number of teams in your game. In my case, with a sixteen team league beginning in 1901, that's 704 players and I find five rounds every year gives me more than enough players. In fact, probably 25% of the players that have been drafted in my league have never seen the major leagues, so five rounds is more than enough. Then you have to decide whether you want signing bonus negotiations in your game or not. I choose not to use them because I want to keep it as simple as possible for the AI. Finally, you have to decide whether or not you want to use the 2012 CBA rules or the rules that were in place prior to that for things like draft pick compensation, and "super two" arbitration eligibility. Whew! Sorry about that. Meant to keep it simple, but that's not really my strong suit. If you have any further questions, by all means fire away. In my view, random debut is my favourite way to play historical, and don't worry, you'll never have a situation where you have too many awesome players in your league because it is random, and the 98.7% that are not in the HoF will always well outnumber the 1.3% that are.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-18-2017 at 09:01 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Bumping this because I am wondering if you can add the random debut to a fictional league that has been running 15 years now (league year is 2028)? I tried before my last draft and didn't get any historical players, but I only had "use random rookies from all eras" checked. Do I just need to check the other box too or will this not work for me?

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote