Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

Switching to rand historical db midway through a save - possible?

Hey gang,

So I'm running test leagues - and I'm trying to switch the source of new players for a league from fictional to random debut historical after a few years of running. I want to have a history for the league that goes back into the 1870s, without "wasting" the real life players in the early years.

So I have the fictional league. I simmed to 1891. I then switched on "automatically import real historical rookies" and "use random rookies from all eras" and added the correct database path.

And it half worked! The game did import historical rookies for the next season... but they were all players who debuted in 1892. I don't really know how the randomizing part of the DB works, but I wonder if it only does it on game start? I love the idea of having a mixed fictional - random historical universe, and not starting with some historical players in their mid-30s on import, but I don't know if the game will do it.

Is this possible? Any help will be much appreciated.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

At what point did you make the switch? I think that would best be done right before the season turns to "Off-season begins" I'm guessing random player entry won't take affect until your next draft.

I would recommend making a backup of your league, restoring it under a name like "testing entry" (Anything really, name doesn't matter) And simulating to the next draft pool reveal to check.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing you switched to random entry after the draft pool was revealed, I just started a game in 1871 simmed to Jan 1st 1880, changed to random entry and Harmon Killebrew, Gabby Hartnett, greg Broks ect....in in my next draft.

you should be fine at the next draft
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 03-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Nm, I see you started with fictional, I'll run some test
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Yeh, I just started a fictional league in 1871 ran it until pre-season begins 1874, switched to import real historical rookies and random entry and It works just fine. My guess was it was the timing of when you made the switch, it should be fine going forward, but if you want to be sure, run a test sim

Hope this helps
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 03-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

When you switched on "automatically import real historical rookies" you got the rookies from the next year. It apparently overrides the random import.
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
When you switched on "automatically import real historical rookies" you got the rookies from the next year. It apparently overrides the random import.

You must check BOTH Options.

Automatically import real historical rookies AND Use random Rookies from all eras

If the settings are correct, it does work as it should.
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 04-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

Thanks so much for your responses, Painmantle.

From memory (I'm not at my OOTP computer right now) I switched on Jan 1st. But then multiple future classes had non randomized debut. I tried 1892 and 1893 as well. I will try again with switching on the last day of the season.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

Problem - kind of - solved. And it was mostly my fault, something I didn't even think about. I had the draft turned off, because I wanted the players to come in as free agents. I think that OOTP doesn't support this combined with random debut. I'm not sure if this is deliberate or a bug, but at least now I know what I need to do, and what I would need to work around to get things working how I want.