Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #41
jhart05
Major Leagues

"Have you ever worked out a trade against the AI in a solo league that was, let's say, a little one-sided in your favor? Say, like getting Albert Pujols for ten Single A scrubs with no major league potential whatsoever? Or whitewashing the AI for several three- and four-star players for a decent A-Ball prospect, several nobody veterans and loads of cash? Or tricking the AI into taking your overpaid 38-year-old veteran because it asked for a one-star Single A prospect after you used the "Make this work" option?"

I've only been trying out V8, while waiting for V13.

While this does happen, I also find the opposite. I've tried to trade for guys who are basically non prospects at all. Just wanted a player to fill a spot on one of my Minor League teams. I click the "Make this Work" and they end up asking for my top 5 players.
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
No, the world_default.xml file has the same structure as it did in v12.
Say it ain't so, Muzamba!
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #43
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Fish View Post
Yeah, even as a casual observer of the 2002 A's I thought it was highly inaccurate.

Tom
Non-casual observer fan here.

Yeah they really missed the boat on not making Zito, Hudson, and Mulder the reason the team did so good. They were mostly carried by their rotation and Tejada (who, as far as I remember, wasn't really in the movie either), but at least they got the details right with the Hatteburg homer and Rincon trade. Really made a fan who was watching at the time nostalgic
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #44
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMousey View Post
Is there a set age that players will appear? Or is it random? For example, Miguel Cabrera is a 27 year old in the draft pic above. Is that the age he'll always appear?
My guess is that it is only for the initial draft. But personally I would prefer to see them enter in their first year as I will start mine in 1871.

At least an option for the initial draft to decide between random and first year would be nice (if this isn't too hard to program of course).
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #45
luger
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
My guess is that it is only for the initial draft. But personally I would prefer to see them enter in their first year as I will start mine in 1871.

At least an option for the initial draft to decide between random and first year would be nice (if this isn't too hard to program of course).
Wouldn't that mean that the entire league would be filled with 17 and 18 year olds in the initial draft then? Doesn't seem like it would make sense to me.
luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #46
jonpfl
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger View Post
Wouldn't that mean that the entire league would be filled with 17 and 18 year olds in the initial draft then? Doesn't seem like it would make sense to me.
This is from a post from Markus

"Exactly! Basically, the game imports random players at random stages in their career when you create the league.

And then for each rookie draft, it imports random rookies. That's pretty fun! "
jonpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #47
Pdubya64
Major Leagues

A Scouting Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Scouting is enabled in this league So what you see aren't the 'real' ratings...
IMO, Scouting is one of the toughest things in OOTP to wrap your brain around. But until you do it will tend to drive you nuts.

Here's my take on it:

Facts:
1. Each team has a unique Head Scout that is their evaluator (or window if you will) on all things involving players in the league, regardless of whether they are on his or another Major or Minor league roster, the Waiver Wire or a Free Agent.

2. Each of these Head Scouts has his own OOTP ratings on talent evaluation in the Majors, Minors, Amateur and International player categories.

3. Add to this a player evaluation Projection parameter of one of the following: Highly Favor Ability, Favor Ability, Neutral, Favor Tools, and Highly Favor Tools.
According to the current OOTP Manual online:
"A Scouting Director that favors ability will base players' potential ratings on what the player can already do and project what he thinks the player will become in the future. The director that favors tools will base the players' potential ratings on the maximum peak the player could achieve. In theory, a scout that favors tools will find more superstars, while a scout that favors ability will find more serviceable major league players."
4. Each team has a Scouting Budget that is broken down into the same categories as #2 above. Again, from the OOTP manual:
"The more money you spend on an area, the better the information your scouting department will be able to provide. However, just as in real life, spending the most money doesn't necessarily result in the best results! Scouting director ratings can have a big impact here. For example, if a team pours a huge amount of money into amateur scouting, but their scouting director has a poor rating for scouting amateurs, then it is possible the results won't be as good as those for a more frugal team with a better scouting director."

Given the above facts we can pretty easily surmise that every team including your own is going to have its own biased opinion of a given player. How accurate that opinion really is in a perfect Baseball universe will vary wildly.

Read that last paragraph again. Even if we hire the perfect Head Scout (HS), with max ratings across the board, that only ensures that HE sees the players in the league through perfectly clear glasses. [edit] After thinking about it, even this is in error, because the perfect HS still has one of the five Projection ratings which modify his "perfect" evaluations. Each of the other Head Scouts are going to be on a scale from close to our "perfect" HS sliding down towards the icky bottom-dweller end. They will perceive and value each player differently than our HS does, so you end up with odd situations where many times it works in your favor, snatching a guy you believe to be the next ace or phenom from under the nose of some unsuspecting GM.
However, it's a double-edged sword... those players you are confident in your perfect HS world to be a good deal as part of the latest trade you are working on may very well be considered a real stinker of a player by the GM on the other end (according to his HS).

Remember, this is the scenario with a perfect Head Scout! If we take away that advantage and saddle ourselves with the HS the game provides us, odds are that our own HS is coloring our team's opinions on player value and projected performance, right along with all the other Head Scouts. Be ready for the fact that trades are probably not going to go down like you would think or like them to and you have won half the battle.

So, what to make of all this? I have come to the realization that OOTP simulates real life fairly well. As Billy Beane put it, you don't KNOW how a player is going to turn out, it's just a opinion, and it is my own gamers mentality of wanting to be IN CONTROL that mucks things up at times. If it is that important to you then your best option is to turn Scouting OFF. Personally, I don't care to do that, as I think it somehow cheapens the experience, but that's just me.

Only Markus knows just how the game puts all these various parameters together and weighs them, and he ain't talkin'...

Pdubya

Last edited by Pdubya64; 03-29-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Clarification on Projections effects
Pdubya64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #48
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Interesting take, Pdubya64, and I hope the next version will revisit this area with great tenacity. In the interim, enjoy all the new and exciting changes in this version! Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #49
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger View Post
In this case it would as the league start in 1871. Why would I want to start rewriting the baseball history with a 40 years old Hank Aaron or a 35 years old Ted Williams

BTW the database use the first year as a professional as a starting point. It doesn't fill league with 17 years old as few players played in the major that young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpfl View Post
"Exactly! Basically, the game imports random players at random stages in their career when you create the league."
I know but an option would be nice when you start from the beginning as I want to do...

Last edited by AESP_pres; 03-28-2012 at 03:12 PM.
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #50
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

am still hoping to hear we can make leagues become feeders
really want to use one of the NCAA mods and use it as a working feeder so the players can enter the draft
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #51
tigey75
Major Leagues

Sorry if this has been answered:

If we chose the random debut feature will players appear twice? For example if Babe Ruth shows up in the 20's can he reappear during 1998?
tigey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #52
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

In Football and Baseball Mogul you can thave he Computer add more people to Trade just to see if the the other GM will accept it.
I'm hoping for Computer Teams to set their opening day rosters before opening day so like the Red Sox want to send down Jose Igelsis on March the 20 they should be able to.
I'm Glad for Historical people in Drafts that happen after 2012 one.
I was hopping for Unsigned Prospects page and somebody to make real NCCA Rosters with real people in it for 2012/13 Rosters.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #53
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
I was hopping for Unsigned Prospects page and somebody to make real NCCA Rosters with real people in it for 2012/13 Rosters.
Do you realize how obscenely long that would take?
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #54
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
Do you realize how obscenely long that would take?
shouldn't take that long, there already is a full NCAA mod that has all the teams just need to get the players right and be able to turn it into a working feeder
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #55
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubya64 View Post
So, what to make of all this? I have come to the realization that OOTP simulates real life fairly well. As Billy Beane put it, you don't KNOW how a player is going to turn out, it's just a opinion, and it is my own gamers mentality of wanting to be IN CONTROL that mucks things up at times. If it is that important to you then your best option is to turn Scouting OFF. Personally, I don't care to do that, as I think it somehow cheapens the experience, but that's just me.

Only Markus knows just how the game puts all these various parameters together and weighs them, and he ain't talkin'...
Well, I know, but I cannot explain even if I tried. The scouting code is really complex. Once day I'll have to rewrite it from scratch, but at the moment I feel it works quite well. And if you don't like it, you can tweak the scouting accuracy in the options or simply switch it off.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #56
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey75 View Post
Sorry if this has been answered:

If we chose the random debut feature will players appear twice? For example if Babe Ruth shows up in the 20's can he reappear during 1998?
I think Markus said that that can't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
shouldn't take that long, there already is a full NCAA mod that has all the teams just need to get the players right and be able to turn it into a working feeder
Even if each team only has 25 players, you're looking at thousands of players.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #57
tigey75
Major Leagues

Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but if Ruth was "scheduled" to appear in the 1998 draft I'm guessing the game would know not to allow him to appear in the 20s. I usually stick to the regular current rosters anyway, but it seems weird that the players who actually played in an era would suddenly be gone.
tigey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #58
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I think it's more like the game knows which player ID's it's used already and randomly chooses from the others than the game pre-scheduling all the appearances. Which gets you to the same place anyway. :P

Quote:
Quote:
Even if each team only has 25 players, you're looking at thousands of players.
That. At 25 per team, if there are 300 teams, then that's 7,500 players to evaluate/rate. And I'm pretty sure there are more D1 teams than that. It's essentially asking for someone to do the same ratings job as for the MLB quickstart and then some, all by himself.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #59
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey75 View Post
For example if Babe Ruth shows up in the 20's can he reappear during 1998?
Of all years, why did you pick 1998? What is so special about 1998?!?!
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #60
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
That. At 25 per team, if there are 300 teams, then that's 7,500 players to evaluate/rate. And I'm pretty sure there are more D1 teams than that. It's essentially asking for someone to do the same ratings job as for the MLB quickstart and then some, all by himself.
well doing every player with close to real ratings would be just a bit much to do, my attempt at sarcasm doesn't really work on here. There is a great NCAA mod already created by Nutt that has all the teams and logos set up right and will include at least the CollegeBaseballDaily.com's Top 100 so it will have some players.
Am assuming also that there is an easier way to add a large amount of players as there was an addition of a whole draft class between release and one of the patches last year and that was maybe a few months only.