Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #101
stevew
Minors (Double A)

People seriously sim 5 days at a time? That sounds horribly slow.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #102
TigerFanRob
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev
More than likely a GM isn't going to sign a FA just in the hopes of dealing him for prospects. In real MLB, the only time stuff like this happens is, well, basically never.
Not to be a smart ass but this is not true. The Atlanta Braves signed Doyle Alexander for the sole purpose of trading him at the deadline. That traded netted them John Smoltz.

New book out that lays that trade out called The Scouts Way, The Bravest Way to Build an Organization.

So at the time the Braves were one of the worst franchises in baseball but yet they were smart enough to do this. If they did it Im sure other teams do as well.
TigerFanRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #103
TigerFanRob
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I use to think so also until I joined leagues that do it this way. Its great for managing the team the right way
TigerFanRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #104
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujol5
Ah crap, if Toronto is indeed taken, then the Pirates or Rockies will do just fine.
The Rockies are yours! you get the last open team.

Last edited by Hell Atlantic; 01-04-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Hell Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #105
Cubsgnrlmngr
Minors (Triple A)

I definately think their should be no rule against trading someone just because you signed them as a FA. This happens a lot more in baseball then you'd think.

If you don't know who Kirby Puckett was or of his face escapes you're memory at the moment. Check this short video out about one of the most clutch baseball players in the history of the MLB.

R.I.P.

Kirby Puckett

Cubsgnrlmngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #106
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

i'm certainly open to revisiting that rule. if it happens more than i thought it did then far be it for me to outlaw it.

but question - if you offered a FA like a 3 year deal, why would you trade him first chance you get?

at the very least, if we all decided that we don't like this rule then i firmly believe we should at least make it so that you can't trade the newly signed FA until July 1st of the same year (the month of the trade deadline). i've seen that done in two leagues, and it's not that bad.

perhaps we can split the difference and agree than any FA signed to a contract that is 3 or more years in length can not be traded until Year 2 of the contract? anyone signed to a 2 year or less contract can't be traded until July 1st of the 1st season. that seems reasonable to me.

Last edited by Hell Atlantic; 01-04-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #107
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

The league is now completely full. this is insane, guys. only took 3 days to fill this league. that suggests to me that there's a lot of people out there who are on the same page as i and are looking for the same type of realistic challenge and environment. with this many interested guys on board it should be smooth sailing and be more fun than screwing a 4 foot hero with mustard.

what, like you've never tried it?

for anyone not quick on the draw and wants in this dynomite league, once we officially open the doors (get our website) you'll be on the waiting list.

Last edited by Hell Atlantic; 01-04-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #108
jf7623
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
wow this thread really took off. Glad I am apart of the league. I think what needs to happen is now a list of proposed rules are laid out and voting and discussion begins on the approval of them
jf7623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #109
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev
Maybe we set up a warning system of some sorts, and you get flagged for making a deal of questionable ethics without being able to backup your deal with a GOOD explanation. "I signed AJ Burnett for 20 million per year but he sucks now and I want to ditch him for Chad Billingsley" is not a valid argument, however "I signed AJ Burnett for 20 million per year, but 2 weeks before the trade deadline Miguel Tejada, Manny Ramirez, Albert Pujols, and Eric Chavez all went down with season-ending injuries. It's probably beneficial for me to send Burnett plus cash to <insert team making playoff run> for a package of Billingsley, Daric Barton, and Joe Blanton in order to make a run at it next year when I'm at full health, as well as extend Pujols." would be a little more plausible.
i really like this idea. i would suggest we leave it up to the commissioner to decide who gets warned. perhaps we can have a procedure where if x amount of owners don't like a deal they can PM the commissioner and he can review it, and decide if he wants to "warn" the GM. maybe 5 objections would bring any trade to commissioner's review.

i would like to see this warning system incorporated into who gets hired or fired. this adds a level of accountability to the GM that i've never seen before. lord knows i've made my share of boneheaded deals that have backfired on me (who hasn't?), it'd be nice for me (or whoever continually makes jackass trades that benefit the other team) to have been fired by the end of my 5 year contract because i had been "warned" or had points deducted for making say, 8 boneheaded trades compared to only 2 good trades. well, it wouldn't be nice to get fired from the team i really like in real life, but the realism and pressure to make the best moves possible is fun to be in.

i know i've made a trade or four in my time where i wasn't exactly sure if i was getting a good deal, but now in this league (if we all decide we want this warning system) i would probably not make the trade. you'd really have to be confident that you've made a solid deal in order to pull the trigger. i like that.

we should have a primary commissioner, and a co-commish. the commissioner would get to vote on the validity of a trade, and the co-commish would vote for whenever the commissioner was involved in a trade just so we avoid any bias.

Last edited by Hell Atlantic; 01-04-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #110
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

ok, in this thread i'm going to start listing any points of interest or rules that we should decide on, and as we all agree on them i'll fill them out. once i get an idea on how the majority would prefer things i'll get to work on the Constitution (by that time we'll all have our website) and then the league as a whole can edit it and then it'll be official.

Cash Max: are we going to have a cash max? normally i would suggest we do, but since we're all putting ourselves in an environment where we can be fired i think we should have all the tools at our disposal to run our team as we see best.

Cash Max in trades: also, what is everyone's views on the maximum cash allowed in a trade? i think the same thinking as above would apply - i don't think we should handicap ourselves too much if we can get fired.

Playoffs: should we speed up the playoffs so that the 75% of the league not involved doesn't spend too much time on the sidelines? should we slow it down to give the playoff teams maximum flexibility over their teams?

Sim Schedule: my vote is for 3 sims per week, not sure how many game days at a time we should do. opinions?

Trading Prospects: do we want to allow prospects to be dealt ASAP, or have a waiting period? as i stated before, i highly believe having a one year hold on trading newly drafted prospects is the best way to go.

Creating Foreign Players: do we want to allow the Commissioner to periodically create a foreign player to allow the free agent pool to have one or two solid players to bid on? i sorta like having a foreign import join the league, it helps add some quality players to the FA pool and it happens in real life so why not include it. we'd have to have a one or two player max per season, or one player every other year. something to add some spice to the FA pool occassionally.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #111
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
There is one league I'm on the waiting list for which sims 1 day per sim every day, you can't get more realistic than a game a day I love the idea can't wait to pick up a team but on average I'd say most leagues sim around 7 days per sim 3 times per week.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #112
jf7623
Banned

Cash Max: I don't think we should have a cash max. It is up the the GM on how to run his team and if he puts himself in a postion to get canned as GM then that is totally on him.

Cash Max on Trades: same as above

Playoffs: when it comes to the playoffs I think we should hold sims every other day.
  • Divisional Playoffs: Sim games 1-3 one day and then games 4-5 the other day
  • LCS: Sim games 1-4 one day and then 5-7 the other day
  • World Series: Sim games 1-2, then 3-4, 5-6 and then game 7
The GMs not involved in the playoffs can get responsible for gathering votes for awards (if we do that) doing recruiting if that needs to be done, looking over the website and forum make suggestions for improvements and/or deletions and clean up. Organization and up-to-date info is the key

Sim Schedule: T-Th-Sun and sim 8 games, 7 games and 8 games. 4 sims will equal one month of a season

Trading Prospects: All newly drafted prospects must play one full season with the team that drafted him before he can be traded. That way GMs can get some sense of him wil be big league material.

Creating Foregin Players: Sounds like a good idea as well. Maybe look into having a GM create their own player once every 5 years based on a template. I have more info on that if you want it.

I also think we should create a seperate HTML page that lists all trades made and the reasoning behind it by the GMs. That way it will be a one-stop source for all trades and justifications
Old 01-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #113
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Good ideas, is it possible to change the national and local popularity settings ? Never looked into it but just thinking if you could then if we go with being able to make a player you could have his local pop setting be high and mae him a hometown player, that way if you trade him the fans wouldn't be to pleased you trading their hometown hero away.

With the new OOTP coming out in the not to distant future the list of ideas is endless, so theres history in the league you could have a Japanese, European, Winterball, Latino leagues, Japanese and Latino league you could have a couple of players each season defect to the MLB with the new OOTP you wouldn't just be getting a player out of the blue like now you'd be getting a player with stats and a history.

Winterball you would have one team representing each division were you would send X ammount of your prospects and based on how your team divisional team performed you'd get X ammount of upgrade points.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #114
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

guys, great stuff so far. lots of people have excellent input. can't wait to get our website/forum so i can start running around excitedly without my pants on and post like a banshee.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #115
Underlined.i
Minors (Double A)

all kinds of good stuff going on...

I like the idea of speeding up the playoffs so people don't lose interest. Then again we are trying to create a true SIM league so maybe people won't lose interest...I think if it's possible we should do 1 game and 1 sim per day in the playoffs
Underlined.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #116
jf7623
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underlined.i

I like the idea of speeding up the playoffs so people don't lose interest. Then again we are trying to create a true SIM league so maybe people won't lose interest...I think if it's possible we should do 1 game and 1 sim per day in the playoffs
I think 1 game a day is a bit slow, but you never know what other people might like
Old 01-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #117
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underlined.i

which team are you in this league? i don't see your name in the list of owners. just wondering.

QUESTION: what's everyone's thoughts regarding a salary cap? obviously realism says no cap, but with the MLB being the way it is realistically smaller market teams have a harder time competing with the Yankees and Red Soxes of the world. having something like even a $100million cap kinda reigns in the huge teams and stops them from fielding All Stars at every position.

Last edited by Hell Atlantic; 01-04-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #118
Cubsgnrlmngr
Minors (Triple A)

Cash Max: No need for a cash max. We're trying to force realism, I haven't heard of a cash max.

Cash Max on Trades: read Cash Max

Playoffs: I believe we should sim a round each day. This at times is important to get the playoffs over because the majority of the league is sitting with nothing to do.

Sim Schedule: T-Th-Sun and sim 8 games, 7 games and 8 games. 4 sims will equal one month of a season (That's what JF said and I like it. With 15 day waiver periods, so a player stays on the waiver wire.

Trading Prospects: I really don't like a rule where you have to limit a GM from trading a newly drafted prospect. In the MLB most teams draft players so that they can be a major league player, even if it doesn't be on their team so they can get a major league player in return for him. I definately don't want to be penalized if I need a big bat in the middle of the season and need to trade one of my specs. I don't believe in this rule, even though it doesn't happen in real life. Plus I think all these things would be hard to moderate.

Creating Foregin Players: I like this idea a lot. Though not many, maybe once every year. Like a couple years ago it was Kaz Matsui, Then before that it was Hideki, then Ichiro. I also think they should be around 28-34 years old.

Franchise Players: Just to make it even a bit more realistic. I think that the top 5 players drafted in the 1st round should become franchise players. Where they are unrestricted. I think this is realistic because in real life, most of the "franchise" players usually end up becomming free agents. I hate it when they're are no free agents on the market because that isn't how it is in real life. I like this idea as it would more influence realism. In "unrestricted" I mean that another team will be able to make an offer to the player and the team will have the choice to sign him for the amount he was offered or not. This is what also usually happens in the MLB. (IE: Carlos Beltran was offered 100+ million dollar deal and the Astros didn't decide to match it) Also, players will usually sign to the team they were last with instead of another team because they.

So, what this rule basically is...

If you...
  • are a previous top 5 pick in the ammy draft
  • and have made it to the majors
Then you can not be signed to an extension at any time of your contract.

If you don't know who Kirby Puckett was or of his face escapes you're memory at the moment. Check this short video out about one of the most clutch baseball players in the history of the MLB.

R.I.P.

Kirby Puckett

Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #119
Cubsgnrlmngr
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
which team are you in this league? i don't see your name in the list of owners. just wondering.

QUESTION: what's everyone's thoughts regarding a salary cap? obviously realism says no cap, but with the MLB being the way it is realistically smaller market teams have a harder time competing with the Yankees and Red Soxes of the world. having something like even a $100million cap kinda reigns in the huge teams and stops them from fielding All Stars at every position.

No cap please! We're trying to influence realism. Of course it's going to be harder for the Royals to win the world series rather than the Yankees with alot less money. That's the whole fun of it. That's why I'm in this league, to experiance the same problems as a real GM. The yankees would obviously have less problems than the Royals to make money, but if their prospects start to bloom and the yankees get older, they could be in opposite ends within the next couple of seasons.

R.I.P.

Kirby Puckett

Old 01-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #120
Espeizer
Minors (Single A)

This post is messed up, nevermind, i'll post my idea later

Last edited by Espeizer; 01-04-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Espeizer is offline   Reply With Quote