Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Resolutions for OOTP 21 Perfect Team

Been thinking a lot about how I want to play Perfect Team next version, assuming there isn't some HUGE change in the game as we know it now. For quite a while now I have decided to play F2P - mostly because I simply have other things I would rather spend $500-$1000 on, and it would take that much to make any significant difference over a well managed F2P team. So... here's my resolutions and why...

1) Three Teams; (a) Live Players Only, (b) Retired Players Only, and (c) All Players

2) DO NOT spend any money! (Kinda) Ok, given what I said above, if I happen to find a hundred dollar bill on the street, or if an unknown Uncle leaves me $10,000. Yeah... I'll probably break down and put some toward my team(s).

3) DO NOT partake in either Tournaments or Card Collecting (I can hear the moans). For those of you that love these branches of the game - I'm ok with that - and I even "kinda" like certain parts of them as well. BUT; I'm convinced that these game branches steal my resources (meaning time, effort and Perfect Points) from the main 3-Team fundamental game. I want to concentrate on my three teams and put whatever resources I have toward that goal.

4) I want to create guidelines for myself that improve the efficiency in spending PPs. It's been said here by many (and it's true) that incremental improvements to your team are a bad idea. Not to say ALL of them, or ALL the time, but improving your team piecemeal wastes a lot of PPs. The end results are much better (and more rewarding) if you take your time building your team, making each and every change mean something.

5) Generally speaking, I will be using the Auction House exclusively. Not to say I won't buy some packs here or there, but the days of accumulating 30,000 PPs and spending 30 minutes to "maybe" get 1 Diamond, 3 Golds, 7 Silvers, 30 Bronze, and 139 Irons are over. I guess if I KNEW I'd get that spread for 30,000 PPs, it would be more tempting, but I've suffered through far more than that number and never saw more than a Gold card too many times to forget - so I usually end up selling the lot for about 10,000 PPs with "maybe" a couple of Golds to show for it.

Now, having said that, card packs ARE a better bet early in the process. When all you have is your starting mix of Irons, Bronze, and maybe a couple silvers, the odds of pulling a good card (Gold or better) is maybe worth the risk. But once you have climbed the mountain, it becomes more unlikely your going to pull a card that will help you.

Now, with BOTH the above being said, the ONLY way your going to get a "100" card on your team without money is either to pull one from a card pack, or save up a minimum of 25,000 PPs. If your going F2P then that means waiting a while to accumulate that kind of bank account.

...I guess I want to enjoy PT in a way that makes me feel as if I really worked for it. At the end of the year, I may be at Perfect Level playing .500 or I may be in Diamond grabbing Wildcard positions - but in either case, it was a long hard road to get there.

These are "guidelines", not "rules". I'm rather eccentric and change my mind now and then, so I may end up spending something - or not strictly following my plan above, but I'm going to try - like all resolutions.

Anyway, I thought I would share this... no particular reason except to see maybe what some of you plan to do differently than you did this year.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Diamond really is a much better game than PeL. They hate it when I say that, but it remains true, and it always will be.

The mountain of variance is the primary problem. That's always going to happen when you keep moving the top end up while entry level remains static. But no company reliant on microtransactions can/will ever stop raising the bar.

Does it sound like a sustainable business model? The carrot at the end of your stick always retreating before you?

Take it slow and enjoy pursuing your own goals, because the developers won't stop chasing the dollars. They can't.

But sooner or later, the customers will notice they're running on treadmill. Ask any game title that fell into the non-stop Expansion trap.

Last edited by Lemandria; 01-01-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
Diamond really is a much better game than PeL. They hate it when I say that, but it remains true, and it always will be.

The mountain of variance is the primary problem. That's always going to happen when you keep moving the top end up while entry level remains static. But no company reliant on microtransactions can/will ever stop raising the bar.

Does it sound like a sustainable business model? The carrot at the end of your stick always retreating before you?

Take it slow and enjoy pursuing your own goals, because the developers won't stop chasing the dollars. They can't.

But sooner or later, the customers will notice they're running on treadmill. Ask any game title that fell into the non-stop Expansion trap.

Interesting Resolution.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
I would say try and cut back on the spending, focus on one team and continue to enjoy a great game. Can't wait for the new version.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
daves
Hall Of Famer

PT 2.0 was an overload compared to 1.0.

I am 50-50 on 3.0.

Looking forward to OOTPGO.

I would consider PT 3.0 if it was Sunday to Saturday instead of Monday to Sunday. Some of us work and have other responsibilities to prepare for Sunday night instead of playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

I am probably going to strictly focus on one team (BFF League) like it sounds like other are. I might idly maintain an OL team as well, and I've been thinking about rolling up one of the following ideas as well:

1) A "min time spent" team. I have heard some skepticism in the community about F2P success taking a lot of time. I really don't think that's the case, and I figure I could probably prove it. So I'd commit to logging into PT for that squad at most an hour a day, maybe split into a 30m chunk in the morning and the evening. I'd probably also play on BFF restrictions (no selling gold+) to limit pack luck. Seems like the next logical step following the success I have had in this version.

2) A Crazy 8's team. The idea is that I want my pack pulls to shape my team without making it a totally packs-only team, so there's still some useful quality to building a good team from pulls. So, I'd make a rule where all packed cards can only be upgraded for other cards from the team from that decade and rarity (so, a Pete Rose gold card from 1975 could only exchanged for other Cardinals golds from the '70s), or from that specific year (So that same Pete Rose from 1975 could be exchanged for a 1975 Fred Lynn or something). Kind of like a "suit" (team) and "number" (year) in Crazy 8s, hence the name of the system. Breaks the mold a little and makes you have to think outside the box.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Semtextual
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
PT 2.0 was an overload compared to 1.0.

I am 50-50 on 3.0.

Looking forward to OOTPGO.

I would consider PT 3.0 if it was Sunday to Saturday instead of Monday to Sunday. Some of us work and have other responsibilities to prepare for Sunday night instead of playoffs.

Lol what?
Semtextual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
neugey
All Star Reserve

I'm probably going to stick to just one team/account for OOTP 21, now that Tournaments are in place to scratch the occasional itch of building a different team.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semtextual View Post
Lol what?

In other words, my resolution is not to play PT 3.0.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
Edster007
All Star Starter

Definitely will drop down to a max of two teams (I have 5 now). I got to a point where I wanted the challenge and fun of building from scratch again and again and once I had multiple teams up and running I just don't have the kind of time to enjoy any of it. I rarely look at boxscores, check and adjust team strategy etc. They are just there and I look at them, reset their pitching staffs once a week and that's it.

I have friended them all and this is the first week they were all in perfect together (and will be next week as well) and it has made it a little better since I can log into one and look at all five.

I have been spending more time on the base game and MLBM 2018 app. Looking forward to "Go" as that may dictate how much time I put into PT. Currently I have about 1/2 in the morning and maybe a quick look at night, if I can follow and manage my team from my phone I am more likely to be a more active participant.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote