Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:17 PM   #761
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Like I'm 6' and would barely each up to Aaron Judge's arm pit.
This is one of my favorite photos of all time. The height-challenged fellow is Ronald Torreyes (five foot, eight inches). He was a sparkplug kind of player, very popular, but he was traded to the Cubs, signed with the Twins and then the Phillies. When last heard from, he had been released from the Phillies farm system back in April.
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #762
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

You might be playing in the House that Ruth Built, but #99 looks like he could tear it down with bare hands.

...and probably another chronic-back-issues guy by his mid-30s.....

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #763
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I bump this thread to be close, at least for a while, with the "Da Angels" thread so as to imply that my team is currently no better than the Angels. I posted in that thread, and I don't want anybody thinking that I am looking down my nose at anybody right now. "The Yankees have lost 11 of 13 and are 8-17 since reaching the All-Star break at 64-28." A correction was understandable and expected, but now it is starting to shade toward collapse.

- Bru

Old 08-17-2022, 10:21 PM   #764
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I bump this thread to be close, at least for a while, with the "Da Angels" thread so as to imply that my team is currently no better than the Angels. I posted in that thread, and I don't want anybody thinking that I am looking down my nose at anybody right now. "The Yankees have lost 11 of 13 and are 8-17 since reaching the All-Star break at 64-28." A correction was understandable and expected, but now it is starting to shade toward collapse.

1964 Phillies ---- they had a 20 game lead and collapsed .... Yankees may make the Playoffs ( with the increased number of teams ) .. but they need to figure out how to play as a team .

I said this last year Boone is not the manager for the Yankees .....

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #765
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Rays go up 7-4 in the top of the 10th but Donaldson hits a walk-off grand slam. Maybe this is what they needed to get the engine restarted.

- Bru

Old 08-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #766
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Rays go up 7-4 in the top of the 10th but Donaldson hits a walk-off grand slam. Maybe this is what they needed to get the engine restarted.
Are you literally begging for them to remain a one-trick pony?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:11 PM   #767
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Are you literally begging for them to remain a one-trick pony?
No, but I would settle for that trick on a more regular basis. Recently, they have been a no-trick pony.

- Bru

Old 08-18-2022, 03:41 PM   #768
mytreds
All Star Reserve

Quote:
. This is why you can't get too excited in June or July over what projects to be an "historic team."
When the MLB has 0 marketable players to make people want to watch games, you have to default to propping up the corpse of the yankee dynasty.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

I make custom ballparks.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #769
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This guy Montas ... why did we get him, again?

- Bru

Old 08-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #770
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

i have been away for bit because was transitioning to new job and there hasn't been anything worth saying. The Yankees are in collapse mode. The moves that seem to work in the beginning of the season are now ineffective. Our trade deadline acquisitions have not performed well. It is like we got a bunch of ringers.

I believe it is the curse of Joey Gallo. He was the glue holding the team together and once he left that was it. We will then acquire him in the off season, so he hits .118 for us but helps us win because he is on the team.

In all seriousness I do blame the organization management when they make decisions like not moving Gallo earlier or not making the hard choices on poor performers.

I am not sure I care about how things turn out because we don't seem to be worthy of anything this year. Maybe not making the playoffs will start us back into a soft rebuild.

I also thought Montas was supposed to help us win. What happened?
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:23 PM   #771
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I believe it is the curse of Joey Gallo.
See, this is how it happens. Somebody says it in jest; it gets picked up and re-posted by a few people (after this, I am going to other forums with it); and all of a sudden, it's viral! Look for the meme by the end of the week!

- Bru

Old 08-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #772
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See, this is how it happens. Somebody says it in jest; it gets picked up and re-posted by a few people (after this, I am going to other forums with it); and all of a sudden, it's viral! Look for the meme by the end of the week!
Gallo's OPS is FOUR HUNDRED points higher in LA (a pitcher's park) than in New York. Dunno how the hell this happened.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #773
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
Gallo's OPS is FOUR HUNDRED points higher in LA (a pitcher's park) than in New York. Dunno how the hell this happened.
Over the years, I have become a believer in the phenomenon of New York City pressure. It's a self-imposed, self-fulfilling thing because some guys thrive, and some don't.

- Bru

Old 08-22-2022, 10:27 PM   #774
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

I dunno how the hell the Yankees let Montgomery go.

He just threw a one hit shutout, with no walks.

For the season, WHIP is 1.003. As a Cardinal, it's 15 baserunners in 25.2 innings, to go along with a 0.36 ERA.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:43 PM   #775
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
I dunno how the hell the Yankees let Montgomery go.

He just threw a one hit shutout, with no walks.

For the season, WHIP is 1.003. As a Cardinal, it's 15 baserunners in 25.2 innings, to go along with a 0.36 ERA.
Cashman has done alright overall in his career but this trade may end up in his bloopers reel. Especially if the guy who's been out for months with plantar fasciitis comes back and does an Aaron Hicks / Jacoby Ellsbury in September and next season.

For cryin' out loud, come to think of it, since when do you trade a healthy, quality starter straight up for a position player with a .246 career batting average? Since this stupid era when we take middle relievers and make them into 1 or 2-inning starters?

- Bru

Old 08-23-2022, 11:30 PM   #776
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DéjÃ* Bru View Post
Cashman has done alright overall in his career but this trade may end up in his bloopers reel. Especially if the guy who's been out for months with plantar fasciitis comes back and does an Aaron Hicks / Jacoby Ellsbury in September and next season.

For cryin' out loud, come to think of it, since when do you trade a healthy, quality starter straight up for a position player with a .246 career batting average? Since this stupid era when we take middle relievers and make them into 1 or 2-inning starters?
I think something fell through with the Marlins and that is what Cashman was counting on. It looks really bad now. I maybe thought the Yankees knew something about Montgomery that they wanted to bail on him, but it appears this was just a poor trade.

It just seems we have too many players that perform better when they leave. Our pitching was the backbone when we started on that excellent run, but now it is inconsistent.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:26 AM   #777
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Over the years, I have become a believer in the phenomenon of New York City pressure. It's a self-imposed, self-fulfilling thing because some guys thrive, and some don't.
Soderholm's Disease is real. Some survive, others succumb.

Speak of words that start with "suc", congratulations on those two wins over the Mets this week. I'm just assuming that Luis "Arm Care" Rojas visited the visiting clubhouse before the game, and that's why the Mets reverted to 2021 form. But good for you, anyhow.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #778
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I lay the blame for this mid-summer swoon at the feet of Rizzo and Donaldson. For the #3 and clean-up hitters to be batting .224 and .223 is unacceptable despite the occasional home runs.

But really, it's everybody. One hit in 8 innings against a pitcher whose ERA was 5.66 after the game. No hits in the final three innings. Unless there is an across-the-board turnaround, I wouldn't be surprised to see this "mighty" team get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

If they make it to the playoffs. A classic collapse is still mathematically possible.

- Bru

Old 09-01-2022, 07:18 PM   #779
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
I lay the blame for this mid-summer swoon at the feet of Rizzo and Donaldson. For the #3 and clean-up hitters to be batting .224 and .223 is unacceptable despite the occasional home runs.

But really, it's everybody. One hit in 8 innings against a pitcher whose ERA was 5.66 after the game. No hits in the final three innings. Unless there is an across-the-board turnaround, I wouldn't be surprised to see this "mighty" team get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

If they make it to the playoffs. A classic collapse is still mathematically possible.
The offense has been atrocious. i have no idea how they can be so unproductive. They will get swept the way they are playing. There is no reason they should be losing some of these games. The lineup has too many of these low batting average players. Stanton should be higher and so should Rizzo. JD may just be too old for someone with his injury history.

I know I may be in the minority when I say this but they should let Judge walk as well and just rebuild. I don't see how you can turn this around unless you spend a lot of money which the modern Yankees do not seem willing to do. Let the kids play, and hopefully have a true contender in 4-5 years.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:29 PM   #780
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
The offense has been atrocious. i have no idea how they can be so unproductive. They will get swept the way they are playing. There is no reason they should be losing some of these games. The lineup has too many of these low batting average players. Stanton should be higher and so should Rizzo. JD may just be too old for someone with his injury history.

I know I may be in the minority when I say this but they should let Judge walk as well and just rebuild. I don't see how you can turn this around unless you spend a lot of money which the modern Yankees do not seem willing to do. Let the kids play, and hopefully have a true contender in 4-5 years.
And the lead is down to 6 games.

- Bru