Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Craziest Two-Way Prospect I've Ever Seen

Drafted this guy #3 overall. What should I do with him? Starting Pitcher, outfielder or first baseman...his ratings are ridiculous all across the board, pitching, hitting, defense. Just doesn't have much speed. Has 1 start so far (put him right into AA), went 5.2 innings, allowed 1 run on 4 hits with 3 walks and 3 strikeouts.

His ratings all on a 1-10 scale from my scout (also the OSA ratings are nearly identical)...

@MisterG90

Last edited by Mister_G; 02-05-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Mister_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

That's nuts.

Looks like he's a slightly better pitcher than a batter, so I'd develop him that way unless you have a real need for an outfielder/first baseman. Plus, he won't lose his defensive ratings, so you can always put him in as a defensive sub in the outfield some days.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
snepp
All Star Starter

If I had a guy like that, I'd definitely go through the hassle of developing and using him as a 2-way player. Should be a fantastic starter and could be a very good platoon hitter against righties. The only wrong answer is playing him at 1st base, with defensive abilities like those it would be a shame not to use him in the outfield, especially given that he has the chops to cover center.

There were a couple of excellent threads about handling 2-way players, it would be well worth the read to go through them (if you can find them).

Last edited by snepp; 02-05-2014 at 09:53 PM.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp View Post
If I had a guy like that, I'd definitely go through the hassle of developing and using him as a 2-way player. Should be a fantastic starter and could be a very good platoon hitter against righties. The only wrong answer is playing him at 1st base, with defensive abilities like those it would be a shame not to use him in the outfield, especially given that he has the chops to cover center.

There were a couple of excellent threads about handling 2-way players, it would be well worth the read to go through them (if you can find them).
I'll take a look. However, I play the GM, not really into handling the day-to-day lineups and stuff besides playing out a game a few times every season.

@MisterG90
Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Thats by far the best 2-way prospect I've seen. I'd probably try and develop him to be the starting center fielder and the closer.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

I don't know exactly how to manage this guy to develop him as both a pitcher and outfielder (and don't like having to set lineups) so I've been letting him get 1 start at pitcher than 4 games in the field. His stats so far at AA...

Pitching
2-2, 4.71 ERA, 8 G, 7 GS, 42 IP, 40 HA, 22 ER, 3 HR, 27 BB, 26 K, 1.60 WHIP, .272 BABIP, 104 ERA+, 0.4 WAR

Batting
21 G, 70 AB, 15 R, 26 H, 7 2B, 2 HR, 9 RBI, 5 BB, 10 K, .371 AVG, .416 OBP, .557 SLG, .973 OPS, 153 OPS+, 1.2 WAR

Fielding
Pitcher: 8 G, 7 GS, 42 IP, 10 TC, 4 PO, 6 A, 0 E, 1.000 PCT, 2.14 RF, +0.7 ZR, 1.186 EFF
First Base: 1 G, 0 GS, 1.0 IP, 2 TC, 1 PO, 1 A, 0 E, 1.000 PCT, 18.00 RF, +0.1 ZR, 1.176 EFF
Left Field: 21 G, 21 GS, 175.1 IP, 39 TC, 39 PO, 0 A, 0 E, 1.000 PCT, 2.00 RF, +2.2 ZR, 1.088 EFF

@MisterG90
Old 02-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G View Post
I don't know exactly how to manage this guy to develop him as both a pitcher and outfielder (and don't like having to set lineups) so I've been letting him get 1 start at pitcher than 4 games in the field.
If you don't want to be setting lineups, it's going to be REALLY difficult to get the AI to use him at more than one position. Just saying.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Personally, I'd go pitcher-only instead of OF/closer. Three good pitches, good stamina, and a decent groundball rating compared to middling contact/avoid K ratings compared to his power and a severe LHP/RHP split make me think he isn't worth the hassle of developing as a two-way player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh5165 View Post
Thats by far the best 2-way prospect I've seen. I'd probably try and develop him to be the starting center fielder and the closer.
Not to be the one-upping guy, but since you said "by far the best 2-way prospect I've seen", I feel compelled to include this guy.

He's not hearly as accomplished defensively as the guy from the OP, but he's an awesome starter and batter. I developed him as a starter-only, but his batting ratings reached their potential anyway. He was generated by OOTP13, with no ratings edits by me.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

I know the one player had those great defensive ratings, but how much would a player be affected fatigue wise if you use him as a designated hitter and pitcher? It would seem as if the fatigue hit would be less, and I know its fairly striking if you try to play a guy as a total regular and start him in a normal rotation slot.

I'm not exactly sure what to search, so I hope the OP doesn't mind the question, I'd say its still fairly on-topic.

Very nice players, guys! (All of you that took the time for a screenie, thanks!)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
I know the one player had those great defensive ratings, but how much would a player be affected fatigue wise if you use him as a designated hitter and pitcher? It would seem as if the fatigue hit would be less, and I know its fairly striking if you try to play a guy as a total regular and start him in a normal rotation slot.

I'm not exactly sure what to search, so I hope the OP doesn't mind the question, I'd say its still fairly on-topic.

Very nice players, guys! (All of you that took the time for a screenie, thanks!)
I've only had a two-way player once, but in that experience, the player's fatigue recovered exactly how a starting pitcher's would, even though I had him playing CF when he didn't pitch.

I started out using a 6-man rotation and resting my two-way guy in the two games following his start. By the third day, he'd be at 70% and I'd start him in CF. The next day he'd be at 100%, and he'd start that game and the next in CF before coming to his next pitch day.

One time, I accidentally forgot to take him out of the lineup when he was at 40% (I sim daily using 7-day lineups to set lineups). He went 2-for-3 with a walk at the leadoff spot in that game, then the next day he was at 70%, which matched how he had been recovering all season.

So if this is the case with all two-way players, it seems to me that we can kinda "cheat" the system with fatigue recovery by having the player's position set at SP. I haven't tested it with his position set at CF. The one thing I don't know is if I'm subjecting him to a higher probability of injury by using him this way.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
JMDurron
All Star Starter

I figured that I owed people an update on Fuentes, since my old screenshot was from 2016 and he's made it through 2020 now.

First, the pitching.

He's been everything I could have dreamed of. He won the 2016 and 2017 Cy Young Awards.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Here's what he's done while hitting.

Not nearly as spectacular, but I'll take an 865 OPS from a pitcher any time. His OPS in the postseason is 1.200, albeit in only 12 PAs.
Attached Images

Last edited by JMDurron; 02-09-2014 at 09:31 AM. Reason: I had to attach this instead of linking it...because the name "Fuente****ting" was being word filtered. HA!