Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #81
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
This column by Anthony Rieber today was very good, worthy enough to present to you fellows for your analysis and enjoyment. My comments appear in [bold].

That's the whole article, but this is the URL in case you want to take a look (Newsday may require a subscription, however):

Change of heart on Soriano - and Joba, too?
Dola,

I know I said I would go, but this comment triggered a thought. Since A.A. came in, he has instituted a cone of silence on all potential player movement with interesting results. It drives the local media up the wall to the point where they start making stuff up to reach their quota as it were. I don't mind that. It also inserts the Blue Jays into seemingly every rumour going, as agents and other teams try to use the media to drive up the eventual price, which while exciting, can get a bit tedious after the 99th rumour has fallen through. It seems like every rumour they've been involved in has fallen through and every move they have made has come out of left field. One example is Greinke. The Jays were rumoured to be in on him from day one until he was dealt to the Brewers. In fact they inquired on virtually day one and were told that Greinke had a no trade clause that he was not willing to waive to come to Toronto, and that was that. While the local media was jerking off to the prospects of a Greinke, Romero, Morrow, Cecil, Marcum rotation (which I admit would've been sick as the kids say), the boom was lowered on the Marcum to Milwaukee for Brett Lawrie deal. I'm not sure how this style of operating would play in the New York media (I suspect not too well), but I find it interesting nonetheless.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #82
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Dola,

I know I said I would go, but this comment triggered a thought. Since A.A. came in, he has instituted a cone of silence on all potential player movement with interesting results. It drives the local media up the wall to the point where they start making stuff up to reach their quota as it were. I don't mind that. It also inserts the Blue Jays into seemingly every rumour going, as agents and other teams try to use the media to drive up the eventual price, which while exciting, can get a bit tedious after the 99th rumour has fallen through. It seems like every rumour they've been involved in has fallen through and every move they have made has come out of left field. One example is Greinke. The Jays were rumoured to be in on him from day one until he was dealt to the Brewers. In fact they inquired on virtually day one and were told that Greinke had a no trade clause that he was not willing to waive to come to Toronto, and that was that. While the local media was jerking off to the prospects of a Greinke, Romero, Morrow, Cecil, Marcum rotation (which I admit would've been sick as the kids say), the boom was lowered on the Marcum to Milwaukee for Brett Lawrie deal. I'm not sure how this style of operating would play in the New York media (I suspect not too well), but I find it interesting nonetheless.
I used to have a rule, or a habit let's say, of not paying attention to free agency talk until it was all over. I think I'm going back to that to lower my stress level.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #83
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

This is never a good sign, unless of course you're a Yankee fan who's not a fan of Cashman. Then again there might be nothing more to it than a simple vote of confidence. We shall see in good time.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #84
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
This is never a good sign, unless of course you're a Yankee fan who's not a fan of Cashman. Then again there might be nothing more to it than a simple vote of confidence. We shall see in good time.
Indeed. The plot thickens. From that article:

Quote:
Not long after the Yankees agreed to sign Rafael Soriano, we heard that the deal was driven more by ownership and not by GM Brian Cashman and his baseball operations staff. SI.com's Jon Heyman reports today that Cashman still has the "full backing" of the Steinbrenner family, a report echoed by ESPN's Buster Olney (Twitter links). Heyman adds (via Twitter) that while Cashman preferred to keep the team's first round draft choice, he made no attempt to "body block" the deal with Soriano and relented because he's a "team man."
Sounds like the back of their hand. It sure explains Cashman's "180" change of mind, only he didn't change his mind; they changed his mind.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #85
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

You know, Greg Maddux was a 31st draft pick, but...

...I don't think we have to worry about it for the most part:

A Quick Look at the 31st Overall Draft Pick - Pinstripe Alley

Mike Silva's New York Baseball Digest Blog Archive - Don’t Fear the 31st Pick
Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #86
thomamon
Global Moderator

Glad Cashman spoke how he really felt...

New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman admits he was against Rafael Soriano deal - ESPN New York

I really don't like Levine tho, I don't think many people do. He's pure slime.
thomamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #87
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

One would think that this is eventually going to end badly (meaning the relationship between the executives and Cashman). Too bad as Cash is clearly pretty good at what he does for who he needs to do it for.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #88
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Dola,

I got a chuckle over this headline - this has to be someone just trying to stir the pot:

Second chance? New York Yankees were in mix for Carl Pavano - ESPN New York
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #89
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Dola,

I got a chuckle over this headline - this has to be someone just trying to stir the pot:

Second chance? New York Yankees were in mix for Carl Pavano - ESPN New York
Unbelievable. Thankfully, he re-signed with the Twins.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #90
Terpripken
All Star Starter

At the risk of sounding like a Cashman basher, I think he comes off looking pretty bad with the whole Soriano deal. So he wasn't on board with the signing, why tell the media? You should keep that kind of thing in house. There is no reason to tell anyone who will listen that you weren't involved. Whether it's true or not it makes him sound childish...I'm not on board so I'm just going to absolve myself of the whole thing. Really? From my view, signing Soriano is the most productive thing the Yankees have done all off-season.
Terpripken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #91
thomamon
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpripken View Post
At the risk of sounding like a Cashman basher, I think he comes off looking pretty bad with the whole Soriano deal. So he wasn't on board with the signing, why tell the media? You should keep that kind of thing in house. There is no reason to tell anyone who will listen that you weren't involved. Whether it's true or not it makes him sound childish...I'm not on board so I'm just going to absolve myself of the whole thing. Really? From my view, signing Soriano is the most productive thing the Yankees have done all off-season.
Why? Because the week before he went on the record as saying he had no interest in signing Soriano at all, so when questioned, instead of looking like a fool he was honest. I thought the way he explained it came across good, the way Levine explained it was awful.
thomamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #92
Terpripken
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
Why? Because the week before he went on the record as saying he had no interest in signing Soriano at all, so when questioned, instead of looking like a fool he was honest. I thought the way he explained it came across good, the way Levine explained it was awful.
I understand that he was trying to be honest, and to show that he was being consistent in his stance. I think he is in general a great GM, but he would hardly be the first GM to say one thing to the media and then turn around and do the opposite.

For me it just boils down to this...I would NEVER tell an employee I just hired: "Hey welcome to the fold, your a great asset...but oh by the way...I didn't want to hire you." Whether I was onboard with the hiring or not, the decision had been made, and why send mixed messages to a person that you are relying on and want to cultivate a good relationship with?

I may be way off base here, but I just don't think there was a need to say anything about it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #93
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpripken View Post
I may be way off base here, but I just don't think there was a need to say anything about it.
I tend to agree with this. There's only one argument against it and it's a big one: the obligation that sports have to talk to the media for the benefit of their fans. Without fan interest, sports are nothing.

That said, some judiciousness would be in order. Not everything has to be revealed. I happen to think people talk too much in general, especially if you stick a mic in their faces. Or provide them with discussion forums...
Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #94
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

The Yankees signed Andruw Jones to a one-year deal. They brought him in as a backup OF, but then they incentivize the guy to be unhappy in that role:

Quote:
Jones can earn an additional $1.2 million in performance bonuses as part of the agreement: $150,000 each for 250 and 275 plate appearances, $200,000 apiece for 300 and 325, and $250,000 each for each of 350 and 375.
The high end of that is about 3/4 of an injury-free, full season of AB's. Given Jones' recent history, I don't see him going the whole season without some injury downtime. That means when he is healthy, he's going to be wanting playing time, bad.

Andruw Jones tries to revive career with Yankees - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
Old 01-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #95
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
The Yankees signed Andruw Jones to a one-year deal. They brought him in as a backup OF, but then they incentivize the guy to be unhappy in that role:

The high end of that is about 3/4 of an injury-free, full season of AB's. Given Jones' recent history, I don't see him going the whole season without some injury downtime. That means when he is healthy, he's going to be wanting playing time, bad.

Andruw Jones tries to revive career with Yankees - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
This is a very good signing. He can play all three positions and though he's a shadow of his former spectacular self, he's still a very decent fourth OF option. Solid signing.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #96
CommishJoe
Global Moderator

I'm wondering if this is a sign that Pettitte isn't coming back:

New York Yankees sign former Cy Young winner Bartolo Colon - MLB - SI.com

Success isn’t owned. It’s leased. And rent is due every day.
CommishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #97
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommishJoe View Post
I'm wondering if this is a sign that Pettitte isn't coming back:

New York Yankees sign former Cy Young winner Bartolo Colon - MLB - SI.com
According to this, he'll make only $900K but still a waste IMO:

Yankees Sign Bartolo Colon: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

I like the first paragraph; sums up nicely:

Quote:
Nine years ago, Bartolo Colon was a stud pitcher on his way to a 20-win season. As talk of relocation continued, the Montreal Expos went all in, shipping prospects Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips and Grady Sizemore to Cleveland for Colon. Both Colon and Lee have won Cy Young Awards since, but Lee was this offseason's top free agent and Colon is a consolation prize for a Yankees team that has a thin rotation despite its fat checkbook.
Related question for TribeFan: We used to hear a lot about Grady Sizemore, but not the past few years. His BA has been down every year since 2006, to .211 last year, and his games and plate appearances were way down in 2010. What's the deal with him?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #98
Terpripken
All Star Starter

Report: Andy Pettitte to retire tomorrow | HardballTalk

Looks like Pettitte is done. Now we can all move on with our lives.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #99
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Well, OK. Actually, this is a better resolution than announcing a comeback this late in the offseason. A few times, I've caught myself resenting the guy a bit for dragging this out - it had to affect the team. How can you plan for the upcoming season, not knowing which way he'll go?

To his defense and credit, though, I remember that he did tell everybody "don't plan on me." To retire now just fits this whole situation better, in my opinion. He had a very good career, best of luck to him.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #100
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Not meaning to disrespect Dave Eiland, but hiring Larry Rothschild in the offseason may be a big shot in the arm (no pun intended!) for the Yankees:

Quote:
Since taking the Yankees’ job in November, Rothschild has spoken regularly with his staff, even traveling to Maryland for a two-day tutorial with A. J. Burnett. But the next phase of his job begins Tuesday, when he oversees his first workout, and it is a daunting one.

He will be entrusted with re-establishing Joba Chamberlain as a bullpen force, developing the rookie Ivan Nova, helping Manager Joe Girardi identify the two best options for a weakened rotation and, most notably, rebuilding Burnett, whose performance in 2011 could be the fulcrum of the Yankees’ season.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/sp...egion&emc=ura4

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 02-13-2011 at 10:41 AM.