Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #41
smythejd
All Star Reserve

I do not have a opinion one way or the other about perfect team BUT I am very impressed that Markus is stepping up and answering these questions.

WAY TO GO MARKUS...

Last edited by smythejd; 07-04-2018 at 12:05 PM.
smythejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #42
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smythejd View Post
I do not have a opinion one way or the other about perfect team BUT I am very impressed that Markus is stepping up and answering these questions.

WAY TO GO MARKUS...

I was just thinking much the same. As someone who is still a relative newbie to OOTP, and with very little computer game experience or interest in general, I find myself somewhat mystified by all the talk about PT. I admittedly never even knew about the concept of micro-transactions until I joined this forum.
And while I am in no position to judge the merits of the concerns many have raised here, the conversation alone makes me a bit nervous (though I'm happy to see it taking place: intelligently and respectfully.)
My limited understanding at this time makes me think I am unlikely to take part in PT (though who knows what the future might hold) but I can't fault the developers from going down this path if they honestly feel that it will open up new opportunities for growth in the future. From what I have seen thus far, I have to cling to educated hopes and faith that they will do so in a way that does not threaten this fine product they have given us (OOTP).

Anyway, all of that is basically an overly wordy preface to what I actually meant to convey. Which is thanks to Markus for so diligently and patiently endeavoring to answer all questions and concerns about this new product.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #43
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

As someone who is spending a lot more time playing OOTP this year (instead of MLB The Show) because Sony has been consistently ramping up its cash cow Diamond Dynasty mode at the expense of offliners/traditional Franchise mode stuff, this announcement about Perfect Team has me extremely concerned. I just hope the OOTP brain trust realizes how revenue modes make it almost too easy for a game to turn its back on long-term enthusiasts.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:47 AM   #44
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
As someone who is spending a lot more time playing OOTP this year (instead of MLB The Show) because Sony has been consistently ramping up its cash cow Diamond Dynasty mode at the expense of offliners/traditional Franchise mode stuff, this announcement about Perfect Team has me extremely concerned. I just hope the OOTP brain trust realizes how revenue modes make it almost too easy for a game to turn its back on long-term enthusiasts.
No worries. The MLB the Show guys really ****ed it up (in my humble opinion) when it comes to some decisions where to focus their resources. And taking away features is never, ever, smart. We will not make the same mistakes, our core game will always be the #1 focus as long as I am running this company...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #45
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

How will PT be distributed... direct sale, Steam, etc.? Will there be a mobile version and, if so, which platform(s)?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #46
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
How will PT be distributed... direct sale, Steam, etc.? Will there be a mobile version and, if so, which platform(s)?
its just an update of ootp19 unless i misread

Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #47
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupilami View Post
its just an update of ootp19 unless i misread
Yes, it's just part of OOTP, basically a new game mode, so it'll be included with the normal game in a patch/update.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #48
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We will not make the same mistakes, our core game will always be the #1 focus as long as I am running this company...
Well, in that case,
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #49
stevem810
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I was just thinking much the same. As someone who is still a relative newbie to OOTP, and with very little computer game experience or interest in general, I find myself somewhat mystified by all the talk about PT. I admittedly never even knew about the concept of micro-transactions until I joined this forum.
And while I am in no position to judge the merits of the concerns many have raised here, the conversation alone makes me a bit nervous (though I'm happy to see it taking place: intelligently and respectfully.)
My limited understanding at this time makes me think I am unlikely to take part in PT (though who knows what the future might hold) but I can't fault the developers from going down this path if they honestly feel that it will open up new opportunities for growth in the future. From what I have seen thus far, I have to cling to educated hopes and faith that they will do so in a way that does not threaten this fine product they have given us (OOTP).

Anyway, all of that is basically an overly wordy preface to what I actually meant to convey. Which is thanks to Markus for so diligently and patiently endeavoring to answer all questions and concerns about this new product.
I have similar sentiments. It will be interesting to follow. I prefer to keep it simple....a few on-line leagues, a solo adventure, fills my OOTP cup completely. Growth can be a double edged sword, with risk and reward, but if managed properly, can benefit all.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #50
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I probably won't even touch PT, i just dont like those types of modes but I like to see OOTP branch out and get bigger if they can. they are a great company that makes a great product and if this mode can get more revenue flowing that means we all get a better OOTP game, and that's awesome. i'm rooting for this to prosper, however i think in the future that you should look towards a mobile release for PT as it will be even more accessible that way
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #51
CMH
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We will not make the same mistakes, our core game will always be the #1 focus as long as I am running this company...
There it is, everyone. Whose got the first security detail? Markus must be protected 24/7.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #52
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
No worries. The MLB the Show guys really ****ed it up (in my humble opinion) when it comes to some decisions where to focus their resources. And taking away features is never, ever, smart. We will not make the same mistakes, our core game will always be the #1 focus as long as I am running this company...

very happy to hear this. Madden has also discouraged a lot of people by ignoring traditional franchise players for MUT.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #53
el_gringo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
That does not work. Taking a cut of a transaction which is only done via virtual currency (PerfectPoints) does not pay our bills, I'm afraid. And we cannot create a marketplace that uses "real" currency, as this would have so many potential legal and technical issues that I cannot even begin to count them.
Ah, fair enough - I was expecting the marketplace to include both PerfectPoints and real money transactions and direct conversion, similar to the Steam marketplace. This has, as you correct point out, created a multitude of headaches for Valve, so if there's not an extant system to early piggy-back off of, that's obviously insurmountable for a much smaller company.

If there are no real-money transactions to take a cut of, that indeed limits non-pay-to-win revenue opportunities to a degree. I've seen models with two in-game currencies, one which can only be earned by playing and which is the only way to purchase packs, and one sold directly to players which can only be used in the marketplace to purchase cards directly. That might avoid some legal/technical issues, but I'm guessing it doesn't alleviate them all, as potential money laundering and other concerns could still linger.

There are also cosmetic-only options, of course, which - admittedly - are more of a gamble for the developer, and the successes or failures of which depend more on the characteristics of the player base than do those of a pay-to-win system.

I've never seen a pay-to-win multiplayer ecosystem thrive over time (in terms of player enjoyment and loyalty, which are ultimately the primary drivers of long-term revenue) the way cosmetic-only ones do in the right games. I'm still skeptical that a pay-to-win model in a niche game like OOTP, reliant on a small user base, is the most sustainable or profitable in the long-run, but I don't know what internal data you're looking at, and I also understand the need to meet short-term goals in order for the project to even be viable at all; perhaps there isn't even the luxury of considering cosmetic-only revenue strategies, regardless of their potential benefits down the road.

Again, I want to be clear that I don't mean to impugn any motives or anything like that by voicing potential concerns - I fully believe you're doing what's best for your players and the game as best you can see it, which is far more more clearly than any of us without the internal data. I, like the rest here, profoundly appreciate the direct and open communication with all us fans! I only point out red flags because I've seen many other game companies run their multiplayer environments aground on these treacherous monetization reefs, and I want to help ensure OOTP navigates them safely, because we're all in the boat, developer and fan alike

I 100% hope you prove my concerns wrong, and show us how a pay-to-win scheme can be properly balanced to create a growing, enjoyable, engaging multiplayer ecosystem over the long-run. If anyone can do it, I'm sure you all can!

I will be very curious to see how the balancing is done, especially given your hilarious bluntness about certain other game companies and their approaches. Thanks again for answering so many questions here! Fingers crossed, good luck!!
el_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #54
Wayllander
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Can't wait. really looking forward to this game mode. Just to clarify, achievements already popped will not trigger any perfect points, correct?
Wayllander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:36 AM   #55
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayllander View Post
Can't wait. really looking forward to this game mode. Just to clarify, achievements already popped will not trigger any perfect points, correct?
Correct.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #56
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_gringo View Post
I will be very curious to see how the balancing is done, especially given your hilarious bluntness about certain other game companies and their approaches. Thanks again for answering so many questions here! Fingers crossed, good luck!!
Thanks My bluntness is just being honest. I am sure the MLB The Show developers would have to say something negative about many design decisions we made, too. That's just the way this business work, you make decisions (preferably based on experience and/or good research) but sometimes things simply do not work well and then backfire. That's life in general, I suppose, haha.

Perfect Team is something we all want to succeed, we have invested a lot of money and a lot of time (over 2 years now) into it. But it is shaping up very nicely- I personally cannot wait to play it and see my Hamburg Sluggers beat the crap out of my opponents, hehe
Old 07-07-2018, 04:02 AM   #57
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

Looking forward to playing this
It sounds like a lot of fun
Motorhead667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #58
JimmyZ
Minors (Single A)

Sp long as the players who micro transact be placed into seperate leagues with others who do, I cant see how if would ruin the PT experience. I fully intend on just playing challenge portion, to be able to grow an org from the bottom up.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:00 AM   #59
austin101123
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm glad to here that perfect team will be free! I was very worried this would be another ****fest microtransaction game. Those kind of games I can just not support. Never go to the darkside!
austin101123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #60
Hkim
Minors (Single A)

This looks pretty fun! Definitely something that appeals to me competitively and I like the synergy it has with standard OOTP gameplay.

Should also help me learn more about baseball history. I'm not as familiar with many of the excellent historical players and this would be a good opportunity to get to know them.
Hkim is offline   Reply With Quote