Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

great 3d animation...

Not sure if this was added with the latest update... anyway, '64 season... Reds catcher, John Edwards, hits a ground ball into the hole and Phils second baseman, Tony Taylor, stretches out to his left to knock the ball down and tries for the 3rd out of the inning, but Edwards legs out an infield hit. 1st time I've seen this in V19. Beautiful!!!!!
32koufax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32koufax View Post
Not sure if this was added with the latest update... anyway, '64 season... Reds catcher, John Edwards, hits a ground ball into the hole and Phils second baseman, Tony Taylor, stretches out to his left to knock the ball down and tries for the 3rd out of the inning, but Edwards legs out an infield hit. 1st time I've seen this in V19. Beautiful!!!!!
Yes, not enough *successful* diving infield plays in the 3D. Too many in the outfield, tho.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
Yes, not enough *successful* diving infield plays in the 3D. Too many in the outfield, tho.
Has there been any diving plays where the ball got past the outfielder? I've yet to see one.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Has there been any diving plays where the ball got past the outfielder? I've yet to see one.
I haven't seen any balls get past the diving OF.
32koufax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
smiller
Major Leagues

Haven't seen that or an outfielder trapping a ball. Also, on bunts, rarely see the runner on first safe at second on a bunt attempt where the ball is thrown to second. As soon as you see the ball thrown to second you know the runner will be out.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Haven't seen that or an outfielder trapping a ball. Also, on bunts, rarely see the runner on first safe at second on a bunt attempt where the ball is thrown to second. As soon as you see the ball thrown to second you know the runner will be out.
I think I did see that once, so it may be in there.

As a new player who didn't play before these 3D animations, I appreciate them being there. I think they add a lot to a sim like this, even though they have a long way to go.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
drksd4848
All Star Starter

I remember when I finally figured out all the animations in Micro League. Once you see them all there were no surprises. It was like finding out Santa Clause wasn't real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qeltar View Post
I think I did see that once, so it may be in there.

As a new player who didn't play before these 3D animations, I appreciate them being there. I think they add a lot to a sim like this, even though they have a long way to go.
Not as long as you think. I would imagine each update will fill the gaps. I'm sure they're on it.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Well, in all honesty, they leave a lot to be desired. I don't expect much graphics-wise from a sim game like this, but there's plenty of work to do in a lot of areas.

I don't care about the graphics being photorealistic -- I go back to when text-based games is all there was. But the animations need to better reflect what's happening on the field. Some things that come to mind immediately: all the diving outfield catches, infielders seeming to let balls go through their legs, CF going back and seems like he has a ball and then it drops in front of him and somehow gets past him... and the only one that REALLY bugs me, the "Bugs Bunny slow" throws when a hitter is destined to get an infield hit. I find it quite frustrating when pitching in a jam to have the hitter tap a comebacker, the pitcher is right on it, then he pauses for no apparent reason and throws a ball that goes in a straight line but looks like it's traveling 30 MPH.

Again, I love the 3D and view this just as the first step in an iterative process. But the animations need quite a bit of TLC, IMO.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
swoboda
All Star Starter

If you haven't done so already I highly recommend creating custom cam views to allow you to watch the 3D animation from the third base or first base side of the field. Particular true for watching baserunners and my favorite watching the arc of the ball which is often slicing at the same time on shots into the outfield. You have to sacrifice a ball hit into the corner on these views but you can always replay at the default or wide angles to see what happened

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

I play-out all of my games, and the 3D players, the stadium updates and in-game UI/design, even the facegens in 19, really have added a lot to my OOTP experience. I think it’s very cool.

I will also say that yes: as someone who plays out all of his games, I have noticed everything that has been noted here (can’t recall if I have seen a runner safe at second on a bunt attempt, but I may have).

I have also heard an OOTP guy, could have been Matt, state that the 3D has improved their game engine in some areas.

So, anyway, the main areas that I really hope that OOTPD continues to focus and improve going into OOTP20 is the 3D and the AI (overall team management/trade AI and in-game).
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Well, in all honesty, they leave a lot to be desired. I don't expect much graphics-wise from a sim game like this, but there's plenty of work to do in a lot of areas.
The things you've noted I just kind of shrug and accept until they are fixed.

My pet peeve is the infielder that "glides" to a ball to make a play, rather than diving, as it looks like it is supposed to be a diving (difficult) play but the guy just drifts over to the ball while in his ready stance.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #12
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

If this is the most we have to complain about we are in great shape with a great game. Lol..............Z
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
The things you've noted I just kind of shrug and accept until they are fixed.
Oh, I agree. As I said, any graphics in a game like this are in the "nice to have" category.

If they fix some of the annoyances -- constant dives in the outfield, balls rolling through infielders' legs, Bugs Bunny infield throws -- I'd be fine with the relative simplicity of the rest of it.

From what I have seen of this dev team in the limited time I have been here, they are going to keep improving on this.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
Qeltar
Major Leagues

One more thing -- I'd like to see them introduce a bit more suspense into gameplay for those who want it. Like the deep fly balls that sometimes go foul (but rarely). Obviously this can't be taken to excess or it will bog games down, but for example, it would be nice to see dives that miss on occasion (with the AI having to decide whether to take that risk or not depending on game situation), foul ball pop flies that aren't 100% guaranteed to be caught, etc.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #15
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Right. I am rather happy with the new 3D and in-game UI design. Seems like 19 has really taken 3 steps forward over 18, and I know they have and are continuing to tweak the 3D player movement.

I’m very much looking forward to continued development of this aspect of the game.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #16
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

I don't care about the graphics being photorealistic -- I go back to when text-based games is all there was. But the animations need to better reflect what's happening on the field. Some things that come to mind immediately: all the diving outfield catches, infielders seeming to let balls go through their legs, CF going back and seems like he has a ball and then it drops in front of him and somehow gets past him... and the only one that REALLY bugs me, the "Bugs Bunny slow" throws when a hitter is destined to get an infield hit. I find it quite frustrating when pitching in a jam to have the hitter tap a comebacker, the pitcher is right on it, then he pauses for no apparent reason and throws a ball that goes in a straight line but looks like it's traveling 30 MPH.

Again, I love the 3D and view this just as the first step in an iterative process. But the animations need quite a bit of TLC, IMO.
When the game was only text it was easy to make a picture of what occurred in your mind so all of the plays "worked". Now one has to justify the play to the 3d video and, as a still relatively new feature always a WIP, one still has to make that picture in their mind. IE while in a game the fielder appears to get to the ball quickly but the game can't show that his body was at a bad angle, his plant foot slipped, couldn't get a good grip to make a throw on a fast runner going down the line etc. In other words the game still requires some imagination and, too me, that's ok.

Quote:
Oh, I agree. As I said, any graphics in a game like this are in the "nice to have" category.

If they fix some of the annoyances -- constant dives in the outfield, balls rolling through infielders' legs, Bugs Bunny infield throws -- I'd be fine with the relative simplicity of the rest of it.

From what I have seen of this dev team in the limited time I have been here, they are going to keep improving on this.
As someone that has played OOTP since v4 (2002) I can assure anyone new to the game that this development crew is fully aware of current shortcomings in 3d and what the game needs, with finite coding time being the only thing holding them back.

v19's 3d is a massive improvement and will continue to get better and better. Some will come in patches this year and some will have to wait for the next version but rest assured Markus, Matt, and the OOTP team have only scratched the surface on the visual side of OOTP.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #17
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
foul ball pop flies that aren't 100% guaranteed to be caught, etc.
Dropped foul balls are in the game. Sure they don't happen often but how often do they occur IRL? I would bet OOTP's number is very close to real life as Markus tends to not program in things without data to back it up.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #18
Qeltar
Major Leagues

I was actually thinking of foul balls that make it into the stands but was not clear, sorry.

Suspense plays make the game interesting, for me anyway. Another example, right now every ball hit down a line that gets past an infielder is a hit -- never seen one "foul by inches." You don't want to do this too much as it would drag out games, but I'd like to see it more. Maybe with a selectable frequency option.

Just to be even more clear, I am not at all being critical of this small and responsive dev team, and I'm glad I started playing after they put in the 3D play, whatever it is.

While we're in the neighborhood, I seem to have an issue where the screen goes black every time I go to my lineup page and then return to the play screen. Bringing up the bullpen selector and closing it fixes the screen. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Qeltar; 05-01-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Rome wasn't built in a day.

You youngster newbie players try playing a OOTP 11 (the version I jumped in on), then play OOTP 19. It will blow your mind how far they have come. If the 3D remained at the level it's at, and all they did was tweak it from here on out, I'd be perfectly happy.

If anyone wasn't happy with it, I would assume it would be Jorin and Matt, because they want perfection.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #20
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was actually thinking of foul balls that make it into the stands but was not clear, sorry.

Suspense plays make the game interesting, for me anyway. Another example, right now every ball hit down a line that gets past an infielder is a hit -- never seen one "foul by inches." You don't want to do this too much as it would drag out games, but I'd like to see it more. Maybe with a selectable frequency option.

Just to be even more clear, I am not at all being critical of this small and responsive dev team, and I'm glad I started playing after they put in the 3D play, whatever it is.

While we're in the neighborhood, I seem to have an issue where the screen goes black every time I go to my lineup page and then return to the play screen. Bringing up the bullpen selector and closing it fixes the screen. Anyone have any ideas?
Oh, foul balls in the stands, got ya I only play one pitch and in that foul balls are listed in the pitch sequence widget. So you can have a 10+ pitch AB with 5 foul balls but never see them. I wonder how does pitch by pitch handle them? They must go to the seats, don't they? Hopefully a P by P player can comment.

Having said that many versions ago foul balls were in the one pitch mode game and you'd have to keep hitting the swing away button until a K, BB, or fair ball. Some people complained because it added clicks to the game. Myself, I liked them as they added drama to an AB. Markus ended up taking them out and just having them as part of the overall AB.

Black screen? I play in full screen and the only time I get that, and it's not every time, is if I hit the windows screen, go to desktop or other app, and them return to OOTP. However for me the screen comes back with all widgets in place an then the black stadium for about a second and then it corrects itself.

If I had your issue I'd check that my graphic drivers were up to date. After that I would be lost and hoping someone else could steer me in the right direction.

I didn't think you were being overly critical of OOTP or the team and my "assure anyone new to the game" wasn't pointed at you even though it followed a quote of your post. It was more to confirm your thought that the team would keep moving forward on 3d for any and all new users that might be reading through this thread.