Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
smiller
Major Leagues

Too many diving catches

One aspect of 3-D play I hoped would be improved in 19 was the inordinate amount of diving catches made by outfielders each game. Unfortunately, I am seeing at least 3-4 such catches nearly every game (I've played out more than 100 games so far). I was also hoping some of these catches would be ruled trapped balls, awarding the batter a hit, but I have yet to see this happen. Hopefully this will be corrected in a future patch.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

a bunch of tim salmon clones?

some people like to dive even when unneccessary just look at hockey... or soccer
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

It's certainly less than it was last year

I see maybe 1-3 per game, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm sure Matt will continue to take a look at this and tweak it, so it's one of those 3d things that should keep getting better with time.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
swoboda
All Star Starter

I haven't found them to be excessive, I've played out around 40 games

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I’m pleased with the progress. Still waiting to see the stretch or extension in the outfield that falls short of a catch, though.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Clavette
Major Leagues

Ive seen jackie bradley jr do it 1-3 times per real life game. Must be a glitch
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
D-BacksJosh
Banned

3+ times per team is a stretch, happens but I would think rarely, unless you count catching the ball during a bent leg slide as a dive. Would like to see some bent leg slides by the way, not just head first dives. Mix it up a little. Also agree with the previous post, they should not always end in a catch.

Last edited by D-BacksJosh; 04-19-2018 at 05:27 PM.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
curt
Major Leagues

Darn. I thought it was just a reflection of my superior defensive outfielders.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
loyd_moseby
Bat Boy

i would like this tweaked in OOTP 20 as i see too many diving catches that are outs in this game.
loyd_moseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
I haven't found them to be excessive, I've played out around 40 games
I play every game & agree.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

c'mon guys, they are just trying to get on ESPN and improve chances of an ASG selection because fanatics think diving for a ball that's unneccessary to dive for makes you good... LoL...

there's a lot of ham in professional sports. it's a natural outcome of an entitlled life.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

I've played out over 200 games, pitch by pitch (I'm an addict for the new 3D). It's been really balanced for me. Slightly more successful diving catches than balls trapped and not too many of either per game. Quite often I'll have games with none of either. My 2c is the balance is pretty darn good where it is.
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i bet it's related to 'selfish' label

jk
Old 03-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hibbs View Post
I've played out over 200 games, pitch by pitch (I'm an addict for the new 3D). It's been really balanced for me. Slightly more successful diving catches than balls trapped and not too many of either per game. Quite often I'll have games with none of either. My 2c is the balance is pretty darn good where it is.
Off subject, but curious who you play as to enjoy managing the games.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #15
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Off subject, but curious who you play as to enjoy managing the games.
I'm GM / Manager of the SF Giants and "enjoy" might not be the right word. More like "suffering" through the games. We're in rebuild mode. Owner's expectation is "don't suck completely". How eloquent of Mr. Baer. I'm doing my best.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #16
EarlWeaver4
Bat Boy

Quote:
I'm GM / Manager of the SF Giants and "enjoy" might not be the right word. More like "suffering" through the games. We're in rebuild mode. Owner's expectation is "don't suck completely". How eloquent of Mr. Baer. I'm doing my best.
I just finished two seasons as GM of the Orioles. We fired Buck Showalter mid-season in 2018 and replaced him with John Russell on an interim basis. Then, Peter Angelos died and his son took over as owner. The son is more understanding about our rebuild although our payroll got sliced. We also hired Joe Girardi as manager for 2019. We wound up going 64-98, one win more than the previous year. And our owner's expectation for 2019 was also "don't suck completely" which is a bit like asking Dylan Bundy to try not to get on the DL.
EarlWeaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Interesting - I have done several games with SFG and find it to be an interesting team. My problem has been I tend to make moves that improve the team too much when acting as GM/MGR, but then get bored with the game when I let Evans run it. Bumgarner/Posey are two of my three favorite players in MLB, so I really like the team even with them getting older.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

my problem with the diving catches is that i don't think i've ever seen one not be caught or have it miss the outfielder and roll to the wall. if i see a diving animation start, i know its going to be an out.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
my problem with the diving catches is that i don't think i've ever seen one not be caught or have it miss the outfielder and roll to the wall. if i see a diving animation start, i know its going to be an out.
Yep, that is the problem more than the number.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #20
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Interesting - I have done several games with SFG and find it to be an interesting team. My problem has been I tend to make moves that improve the team too much when acting as GM/MGR, but then get bored with the game when I let Evans run it. Bumgarner/Posey are two of my three favorite players in MLB, so I really like the team even with them getting older.
I know we're way off topic here (aopolgies all), but Madbum's having a very poor 2019 season thus far for me. I am seriously contemplating trading him at the break but worried about declining value Hope this isn't the case in RL!