Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
It was late, but it is a deal I had been contemplating for a long time.
Although, I am 3.5 games behind the Cubs, but a 1.5 games up in the wild card, I want to win this season.
(I may lose interest and decide not to play a second season. I play every game out so it is a slog).
Anyway, six Bud Lights did, or didn't help, but I have completed a trade to bring Balitmore Orioles SS/3B Manny Machado to the Cardinals for at least the remainder of the 2018 season.
Going to Baltimore are major league second baseman Kolten Wong, AAA Memphis closer Sam Tuivailala and outfielder Harrison Bader and Class A shortstop Luis Andujar.
Machado will be a free agent at season's end. But I hope to do everything possible to get him signed quickly so free agency does not become an issue.
With his versatility, Machado will probably play both shortstop and third base, swapping with Jedd Gyorko, who can play second and third, Tommy Edmann, who can play second and short, and Paul DeJong, who is best at shortstop, depending on who is playing well.
DeJong has stunk this season, but did well in recent a minor league stint, so hopefully it carries over.
Baltimore also seemed to want Wong more than DeJong, so that is how I went.
Any hints on how to get Machado's name on the dotted line to stick around?
What's he looking for?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #82
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Six beers always helps me to pull the trigger on a trade!

I would offer Machado whatever he wants since you probably won’t play a second season anyway. Without knowing his asking price, I would say 6 years, $125M should be a good start. He is not Harper or Kershaw.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #83
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

After 20 games in 2018, I have the #13 bullpen and #15 defense. Understandable.

The shocking news is that I have the #1 offense, scoring 6.5 runs per game. The lineup was shuffled a little, so here is the latest version...

2B Wong .389/.457/.583
SS DeJong .333/.402/.556, 24 RBI (leads NL)
RF Fowler .278/.422/.569, 5 HR
1B J.Martinez .365/.449/.514
3B Carpenter .279/.421/.410
LF Ozuna ..250/.319/.388
DH Gyorko .296/.356/.519
C Molina .206/.227/.289 (yuk)
CF Pham .260/367/.364

Carpenter is actually playing better defense than Gyorko, each of them having started 9 games at third base.

I don't really know what to do about the bullpen yet. I am just getting Holland back this week, so that might help.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #84
ZigZagMan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It was late, but it is a deal I had been contemplating for a long time.
Although, I am 3.5 games behind the Cubs, but a 1.5 games up in the wild card, I want to win this season.
(I may lose interest and decide not to play a second season. I play every game out so it is a slog).
Anyway, six Bud Lights did, or didn't help, but I have completed a trade to bring Balitmore Orioles SS/3B Manny Machado to the Cardinals for at least the remainder of the 2018 season.
Going to Baltimore are major league second baseman Kolten Wong, AAA Memphis closer Sam Tuivailala and outfielder Harrison Bader and Class A shortstop Luis Andujar.
Machado will be a free agent at season's end. But I hope to do everything possible to get him signed quickly so free agency does not become an issue.
With his versatility, Machado will probably play both shortstop and third base, swapping with Jedd Gyorko, who can play second and third, Tommy Edmann, who can play second and short, and Paul DeJong, who is best at shortstop, depending on who is playing well.
DeJong has stunk this season, but did well in recent a minor league stint, so hopefully it carries over.
Baltimore also seemed to want Wong more than DeJong, so that is how I went.
Any hints on how to get Machado's name on the dotted line to stick around?
I mentioned my strategy a few posts above. Throw the money at him. It's not often you can get your hands on an elite player in their mid 20s. Especially one that can play SS. I locked him up for 8/$208 which was down from his asking price of 8/$224. Gave him a full no-trade clause and guaranteed a spot in the starting lineup.

Last edited by ZigZagMan; 05-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
ZigZagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:01 AM   #85
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Before playing my first game with Machado, I went to him for parameters on what kind of deal he wanted.
He expected him to ask for the world, not the universe.
I guess either he really wants to be a free agent or just doesn't like the STL.
Either way, it's going to be tough to bridge that gap.
Also, again, before playing a game, he is on the list of players with a bad relationship with the manager.
What gives?
Attached Images
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #86
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Good news is you’re not a challenge mode masochist like Orcin and me. You can edit his mood, or magic him into a deal if you want!

That’s ridiculously insane for a demand. Wait and let him file for free agency and it will go down significantly.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #87
ZigZagMan
Minors (Double A)

Wow! I would’ve taken that into the offseason. I guess I was lucky that he was reasonable with me.

What was he rated in your game. I know it’s dependent on scout but in my game he was 4-stars and didn’t jump to 4.5-stars until the offseason.

This is why I love OOTP. Each game is a different story.

Last edited by ZigZagMan; 05-02-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #88
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Yes, every game is different. I agree that you should keep checking and make no offers until you see a reasonable demand.

The relationship problem is because Matheny favor pitchers over hitters by a lot.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #89
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Actually, the relationship problem is just the opposite.
All of my hitters, outside of Machado, like me.
But I am on the bad side of my entire pitching staff.
Machado's name is cut off on the graphic, but is the next line down on the right side.
Attached Images
Old 05-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #90
ZigZagMan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
But I am on the bad side of my entire pitching staff.
Machado's name is cut off on the graphic, but is the next line down on the right side.
On my game Matheny has a great relationship with all the hitters and a poor relationship with all the pitchers.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #91
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, again, before playing a game, he (Machado) is on the list of players with a bad relationship with the manager.
Quote:
Ok, I have no idea then.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #92
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagMan View Post
On my game Matheny has a great relationship with all the hitters and a poor relationship with all the pitchers.
Yeah mine too... so he had to go.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #93
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Since I am managing my version of the OOTP Cardinals, Mike Matheny is out west running the Martinez Clippers of the independent Pacific Association.
His record is 17-25 and his team is in sixth place.
But all of his players love him and his reputation is great.
Sounds like the perfect place for him to learn how to manage.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #94
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Since I am managing my version of the OOTP Cardinals, Mike Matheny is out west running the Martinez Clippers of the independent Pacific Association.
His record is 17-25 and his team is in sixth place.
But all of his players love him and his reputation is great.
Sounds like the perfect place for him to learn how to manage.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #95
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My man crush...
Attached Images
Old 05-04-2018, 01:19 AM   #96
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

That’s a great start.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:23 AM   #97
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
That’s a great start.
He's amazing.. look at what he did for us in 2019 in only 75 games! This guy brings his work boots everyday and never complains. I think I can even make out several Donaldson jerseys in the stands during home games.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #98
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Holy cow. And at 34 years old.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #99
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Yes, every game is different. I agree that you should keep checking and make no offers until you see a reasonable demand.

The relationship problem is because Matheny favor pitchers over hitters by a lot.
Just fire Matheny and it will be better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #100
ZigZagMan
Minors (Double A)

You know those big moments in a season that get you jacked as if they happened in a real game?

I had a couple of those in a big September series with the first place overall Los Angeles Dodgers as I'm fighting to keep the final Wild Card spot. I had added Adolis Garcia (who's actually one of the prospects I'm probably way too excited about in real life) to the 40-man roster so I could call him up in September after a strong season in Memphis.

After dropping the first game of the series and leading the Phillies and Giants by just one game in the Wild Card race, I have to go up against Clayton Kershaw and use this game as an opportunity to give my starters what will likely be one final rest day. The up-and-down Alex Reyes is pitching so I don't like my odds anyway. The team keeps things close 4-2 until Garcia blasts a grand slam to put the Cardinals ahead in an eventual 6-5 victory!

The next night I'm training 5-3 and Kenley Jansen, with his sparkling 1.14 ERA is on the mound to close things out. I get two baserunners on and who does Matheny call on to pinch hit? Adolis Garcia. BAM! Three run shot and the Cardinals walk-off with another 6-5 win.

Gotta love those big late-season moments! Garcia just earned a long look in spring training.

Last edited by ZigZagMan; 05-04-2018 at 07:05 PM.