Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:38 AM   #1
Reggie
Major Leagues

I'm addicted to fictional leagues

I used to think people who played fictional leagues were a bit odd. Why would you do that when you had so much of the real thing to use in the game? I tried making a fictional league and couldn't get past a few games. Was just too foreign to me.. didn't know the players..no history no nuthin to get me into it.

Then I got a little bored with my MLB team during a long slump so I took another shot at fictional. 12 fictional seasons later and I'm kind of sad that I can't see myself playing with real players again. Not sure how this happened.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #2
Aumakua
Major Leagues

I would suggest trying what I have been doing.

Fictional league using real MLB teams but adjusting to your liking (expansion and relocation) plus manually importing just a couple real players every year to see how they do in your fictional world.

Have some fun with it, give it some backstory
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:38 AM   #3
Scoman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I used to think people who played fictional leagues were a bit odd. Why would you do that when you had so much of the real thing to use in the game? I tried making a fictional league and couldn't get past a few games. Was just too foreign to me.. didn't know the players..no history no nuthin to get me into it.

Then I got a little bored with my MLB team during a long slump so I took another shot at fictional. 12 fictional seasons later and I'm kind of sad that I can't see myself playing with real players again. Not sure how this happened.
For me its just the opposite. I'm addicted to the historical aspect of the game. I get a fictional league going too but always gravitate to the historical league. I think that is part of the games mass appeal is there are so many ways to play it.
Scoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I have often been intrigued by fictional play as well...but I have never given it a serious "go".

I even have some ideas for it. I would still like to use all real world leagues and teams...but I do like the idea of expansion in Montreal and Mexico City. Of course this means I would need to also create minor league teams to go along with the new organizations...which of course would mean restructuring of minor leagues. This part might be a little daunting, as it will mean division re-alignments as well as potential post-season restructuring.

I like the idea of having 4 divisions of 4 teams in both American and National Leagues. Division winners would qualify for playoffs...no wildcards.

I also like the idea of abolishing roster expansion, as well as shortening the season to 128 games....something I seriously think the MLB should consider in real life...but won't.

25 man active rosters should also be expanded to 28 players....and eliminate the DH in ALL leagues...including the minors

To me, what this represents is how I would like to see the MLB operate in actuality, but I will likely stick with the real-world setup. But I do find the idea intriguing.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 04-11-2018 at 05:38 AM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

It is really easy to get addicted to fictional in my opinion. Especially, if you are a serial world builder/league creator. Which I am absolutely guilty of.

I noticed something about my play style. I made the mostly stats only switch a number of versions ago and I really enjoy that style in my fictional setups. Makes me really think about pulling the trigger on transactions and overall roster management for the obvious fog of war reasons.

Yet, I still love historical as well and choose a year to replay here and there. Right now I'm in 1984 and my Tigers are definitely not on pace for 35-5 start. Boston is though. Anyway, in my historical saves I leave the ratings on. I already know all the players and what is going to probably happen with them developmentally. Seems pointless to turn the ratings off. I have fun playing both styles.

Quote:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Yeah Fictional is the best way too play OOTP.

So many options makes it much more interesting.

Hopefully FHM someday move's forward and has more fictional play options(including fictional leagues included with real leagues).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I have often been intrigued by fictional play as well...but I have never given it a serious "go".

I even have some ideas for it. I would still like to use all real world leagues and teams...but I do like the idea of expansion in Montreal and Mexico City. Of course this means I would need to also create minor league teams to go along with the new organizations...which of course would mean restructuring of minor leagues. This part might be a little daunting, as it will mean division re-alignments as well as potential post-season restructuring.

I like the idea of having 4 divisions of 4 teams in both American and National Leagues. Division winners would qualify for playoffs...no wildcards.

I also like the idea of abolishing roster expansion, as well as shortening the season to 128 games....something I seriously think the MLB should consider in real life...but won't.

25 man active rosters should also be expanded to 28 players....and eliminate the DH in ALL leagues...including the minors

To me, what this represents is how I would like to see the MLB operate in actuality, but I will likely stick with the real-world setup. But I do find the idea intriguing.
That's why Fictional is the best. You can set it up to your liking. I did some things opposite from you (I gave EVERYONE a DH, kept 162 games and love roster expansion, even pushing the trading deadline back to allow teams to have fire sales more often), but I did some things the same (each league is based on a region, East and West, and has 4 divisions with 4 teams each including some from overseas)

The other reason fictional is best is that you have to trust your scouts a lot more. You come in and have an inaugural draft (if that's your thing), but you aren't positive who the best players are. You see the ratings there, but you have no clue if that guy is a bust.
If you're playing an MLB and all the sudden Aaron Judge bats .205 with 10 HRs, you'll think something is wrong. Not so if the guy is "Percy Smedley".
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumakua View Post
I would suggest trying what I have been doing.

Fictional league using real MLB teams but adjusting to your liking (expansion and relocation) plus manually importing just a couple real players every year to see how they do in your fictional world.

Have some fun with it, give it some backstory
Hadn't thought of that. . Part of the reason I'm liking the fictional without history is watching players do things for the first time. I get excited around HOF voting time because I have an empty hall of fame and I want to see who is going in first. Creating a whole new history of MLB could be fun.

I need more time to play.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoman View Post
For me its just the opposite. I'm addicted to the historical aspect of the game. I get a fictional league going too but always gravitate to the historical league. I think that is part of the games mass appeal is there are so many ways to play it.
Playing a game from 1950 through 1975 is on my bucket list.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I love fictional leagues in OOTP. I love simming 100 years and combing through the stats.

I have been testing some settings for a quick start and reviewing the stats after 50 years has been a lot of fun for me.

I'm not a fan of the MLB set that comes with the game. There's too many teams with all of the minors and too many players. I think the game gets bogged down with all of that.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I have played fictional a few times. I really like it! It’s kinda weird though how people make up stories about their fictional players and even give themselves a fictional backstory. Those people must really be pretty far down the rabbit hole.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I have played fictional a few times. I really like it! It’s kinda weird though how people make up stories about their fictional players and even give themselves a fictional backstory. Those people must really be pretty far down the rabbit hole.

Don't judge me!!!!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Hadn't thought of that. . Part of the reason I'm liking the fictional without history is watching players do things for the first time. I get excited around HOF voting time because I have an empty hall of fame and I want to see who is going in first. Creating a whole new history of MLB could be fun.

I need more time to play.
Not to mention it's fun waiting and wondering who the pitcher of the year award is going to be named after for the next century. Cy Young Award? Who's he? He doesn't exist in my world. My award is called the Kyle Scott Award. Only the best of the best pitchers in my world can say they were Kyle Scott winners.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #14
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
Don't judge me!!!!
I thought that the links in my signature to a three-part fictional dynasty in which I wrote stories about my players and myself would make it obvious that my comment was sarcasm. Maybe not.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini615 View Post
Not to mention it's fun waiting and wondering who the pitcher of the year award is going to be named after for the next century. Cy Young Award? Who's he? He doesn't exist in my world. My award is called the Kyle Scott Award. Only the best of the best pitchers in my world can say they were Kyle Scott winners.
How did you set it up? Historical with fictional players or start a new league from the ground up?
Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

What I love about fictional games is no preconceived notions. In the first and last historical replay I did the Yankees traded Babe Ruth in 1927. I get it. The AI does not know who he was. It's just an objective assessment of value. But for me that kind of thing kills the game when I say "That could never have happened". With fictional players you never hear yourself saying that.

Another thing. I despise the Boston Red Sox for a lot of good reasons. But I have nothing at all against the Boston Colonials. Or the Miami Tropics, or (insert fictional team name here).

But most of all, fictional games are new. They are something you've never seen before. The fun of discovering who these little guys are, who the teams are is all there again. You can make it yours in a way replay never can be. You make the rules, name the teams, move them, build them, tear them down. It's all new and all you. That is rare in baseball. Non-existent even. If you replay the '29 season as the Braves you know how that's going to work out.

It's the best way to go IMO.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #17
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Quote:
How did you set it up? Historical with fictional players or start a new league from the ground up?
I use fictional teams and fictional players in my own fictional world. Every day spent playing I forge my own fictional history. Like you said earlier, it's awesome starting with an empty hall of fame and watching it fill up through the years. There's no wrong way to do anything if you can imagine it. Especially if you have fun doing it!
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #18
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I thought that the links in my signature to a three-part fictional dynasty in which I wrote stories about my players and myself would make it obvious that my comment was sarcasm. Maybe not.
Links? I see no links. (I had a feeling it was sarcasm though...)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #19
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
Links? I see no links. (I had a feeling it was sarcasm though...)
Do you have signatures turned off? The links are in his signature.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #20
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Do you have signatures turned off? The links are in his signature.
Weird. I must. I didn't even know that was an option. I'll check it out